Tennis Elbow

PsyOps

Pixelated
After reading B23's thread, I feel embarrassed to complain about anything. But... I've been suffering nagging tennis elbow for a couple of months now. I got it from lifting weights. I've rested it for about a month now and it hasn't gotten better. I have tried all sorts of PT on myself to no avail. I am setting up an appointment with my PCM to get it scanned; but in the meantime... has anyone found therapy that worked for them? I am itching to get back to working out.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Well you've done the rest part, icing the area after working out helps, stretching prior to working out is a must, and consult a trainer on your technique, you might be doing something wrong.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Well you've done the rest part, icing the area after working out helps, stretching prior to working out is a must, and consult a trainer on your technique, you might be doing something wrong.

There is so much contradiction that exists out there. I've read that some of the new research states that icing tennis elbow is not a good method to healing. The area needs to be heated to get blood to the area to heal the injury.

There are also physical therapist saying that stretching before workouts is a no no. You need to get moving to get blood circulating and warm the body up, and aim specifically for the workout you're going to do. Stretching before warming could lead to injury. Stretching afterward could be beneficial. I will admit that I didn't really consider my age (55) when warming up, which I'm sure led to the injury. I needed a much longer warmup. So, I did definitely do a lot of things wrong.

In any event, it's hard to know who is right on these things.

PsyOps

Pixelated
What specific exercise are you feeling the most aggravation from ?

Any exercise where my arm is in a pronated position aggravates it. I suspect I injured it when I was doing pronated curls, or hammer curls. I can do supinated curls as long as I don't flex my wrist. But, just gripping something is painful.