Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cutting out sodas

cutting out sodas

I had blood work done as part of a normal checkup late last year and my sugar numbers were borderline diabetic and my Dr. suggested a change in my diet and weight loss. At one point I was drinking about 6 cans of soda per day, I cut down to 2-3 per day for a while. It was hard but a few months ago I cut out all sodas for over 3 weeks and switched to water with lemon or cucumber in it. Now I will drink maybe 2 sodas per week and that is usually if I stop for fast food lunch and almost always drink plain water now.

I lost over 20lbs pretty quickly in the first month or so but then the weight loss leveled out. an added benefit, I have noticed that my memory seems better without all of the sugar or caffeine or whatever else isn't in my system now. I can't even drink a Mountain Dew now...YUK!!!

Bman, I'm proud of you, this is a major accomplishment! You don't want to go down the diabetes rabbit hole.

Thanks Lilypad! and you are right, I don't want to go down that road...not to mention I am not too crazy about needles...

Lilypad! Missed you! Bman is new, but he should know how awesome you are! You have been through it, and back. I think you are awesome!
    Last edited by littlelady; 05-17-2017 at 11:52 PM.
    Like I said, JMO, yo! - Roman

If you don't mind me asking, what were your glucose numbers. I was inching that way to. If you're interested I can tell what I've changed. Just had a check up and my levels dropped 20 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Bman View Post
    an added benefit, I have noticed that my memory seems better without all of the sugar or caffeine or whatever else isn't in my system now.
    I can't even drink a Mountain Dew now...YUK!!!

Congratz
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

That's awesome.
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

I have never been much of a soda drinker but I do have at least one a day. I try to drink at least 100 oz of water per day as well.

General Lee, I am not sure what my glucose number was but the Doc said I was 1 point into the pre-diabetic range. I don't know if that number is the same for everyone of if it is a moving target depending on the person. I appreciate the offer but my numbers were better at my last appointment so it seems cutting out the sodas has helped. I have also started snacking better, I eat an apple every day and I keep a container of unsalted mixed nuts on my desk at work to munch on instead of getting chips or candy from the vending machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bman View Post
    General Lee, I am not sure what my glucose number was but the Doc said I was 1 point into the pre-diabetic range. I don't know if that number is the same for everyone of if it is a moving target depending on the person. I appreciate the offer but my numbers were better at my last appointment so it seems cutting out the sodas has helped. I have also started snacking better, I eat an apple every day and I keep a container of unsalted mixed nuts on my desk at work to munch on instead of getting chips or candy from the vending machine.
    Sounds good, here is to better health

Members who have read this thread: 78