cutting out sodas

Bman

I had blood work done as part of a normal checkup late last year and my sugar numbers were borderline diabetic and my Dr. suggested a change in my diet and weight loss. At one point I was drinking about 6 cans of soda per day, I cut down to 2-3 per day for a while. It was hard but a few months ago I cut out all sodas for over 3 weeks and switched to water with lemon or cucumber in it. Now I will drink maybe 2 sodas per week and that is usually if I stop for fast food lunch and almost always drink plain water now.

I lost over 20lbs pretty quickly in the first month or so but then the weight loss leveled out. an added benefit, I have noticed that my memory seems better without all of the sugar or caffeine or whatever else isn't in my system now. I can't even drink a Mountain Dew now...YUK!!! :barf:

Lilypad

Bman, I'm proud of you, this is a major accomplishment! You don't want to go down the diabetes rabbit hole.

Bman

Thanks Lilypad! and you are right, I don't want to go down that road...not to mention I am not too crazy about needles...

littlelady

God bless the USA
Lilypad! Missed you! Bman is new, but he should know how awesome you are! You have been through it, and back. I think you are awesome! :huggy:

Last edited:

General Lee

If you don't mind me asking, what were your glucose numbers. I was inching that way to. If you're interested I can tell what I've changed. Just had a check up and my levels dropped 20 points.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
an added benefit, I have noticed that my memory seems better without all of the sugar or caffeine or whatever else isn't in my system now.
I can't even drink a Mountain Dew now...YUK!!! :barf:

:yay:

Congratz

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I have never been much of a soda drinker but I do have at least one a day. I try to drink at least 100 oz of water per day as well.

Bman

General Lee, I am not sure what my glucose number was but the Doc said I was 1 point into the pre-diabetic range. I don't know if that number is the same for everyone of if it is a moving target depending on the person. I appreciate the offer but my numbers were better at my last appointment so it seems cutting out the sodas has helped. I have also started snacking better, I eat an apple every day and I keep a container of unsalted mixed nuts on my desk at work to munch on instead of getting chips or candy from the vending machine.

General Lee

General Lee, I am not sure what my glucose number was but the Doc said I was 1 point into the pre-diabetic range. I don't know if that number is the same for everyone of if it is a moving target depending on the person. I appreciate the offer but my numbers were better at my last appointment so it seems cutting out the sodas has helped. I have also started snacking better, I eat an apple every day and I keep a container of unsalted mixed nuts on my desk at work to munch on instead of getting chips or candy from the vending machine.

Sounds good, here is to better health :buddies:

DEEKAYPEE8569

I have never been much of a soda drinker but I do have at least one a day. I try to drink at least 100 oz of water per day as well.
Hmmm.....96 oz./day used to be the ideal amount. @ 100 oz./day, aren't you peeing 'all day'? Seems like you would be, drinking that much water.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Hmmm.....96 oz./day used to be the ideal amount. @ 100 oz./day, aren't you peeing 'all day'? Seems like you would be, drinking that much water.

Pretty much. I stop drinking water by 11am so I won't have to use the bathroom by the time 1pm rolls around and I head home.

lucky_bee

RBF expert

that's all of 4 more oz :confused:

I drink about that much a day too and I take plenty of restroom breaks. No big deal, esp. after realizing how much of a difference on multiple levels staying hydrated all day long makes me feel.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Urine should be pretty clear, so you know you're drinking enough.

Anyhoo, I drink *at least* 96oz of water everyday. Usually more. :yay:

Clem72

I have tried a couple of times over the years to cut out most all caffeine. I got non-stop headaches for more than a week; at which point I gave up. I don't know if it would have eased up after two weeks or two years, but I assume eventually they would have gone away. But 1 week was my limit.