No, Republicans Aren’t Going To Impeach Trump – And 8 Other Random Thoughts On Comeygate

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
5. Portraying Flyover Country As “Ignorant” Is Actually Elitist. It’s become a highly irritating trope of political commentary these days to say that people “outside the beltway” don’t care about this stuff. But why wouldn’t they? Do they not have internet? Do they not read newspapers? Why would blue collar people ignore the news? In fact, we know that Trump voters in “flyover country” most assuredly follow the news: they were obviously on top of Hillary’s email scandal. But the tacit message here isn’t that people in blue collar areas don’t care about the Comey saga – it’s that those on the right don’t want them to care about the Comey saga, and so they use the excuse “the audience doesn’t care” to cover other material instead. Tucker Carlson’s viewers would care about Comeygate if Tucker Carlson cared about Comeygate. He doesn’t, so they don’t. It’s not the other way around.

6. Nobody’s Ousting Trump Under The 25th Amendment. Ross Douthat has a column today in which he suggests that Republicans around Trump ought to invoke the 25th Amendment to the Constitution and declare Trump unfit for office. That’s silliness. First off, for all his myriad foibles, there’s no evidence as of yet that Trump is mentally “incapacitated.” Second, does Douthat really think that Republicans, answerable to Trump’s voters, are going to oust him on the basis of that slim reed? Third, this would set a rather dangerous precedent of cabinets deciding that if a president becomes politically unpalatable, he can be replaced by an unelected coterie of ambitious insiders.

No, Republicans Aren’t Going To Impeach Trump – And 8 Other Random Thoughts On Comeygate

SamSpade

When I went to college in New York, I knew a LOT of people who referred to Maryland as a "drive through" state. I suppose a lot like I consider Delaware, a tiny state where almost my entire connection to it has been the short 11 mile drive on I-95. It pissed me off that they could dismiss the entire history and culture of what I consider a vital part of America - because it's a state they consider of little consequence as they drive through it.

Such is my reaction to "flyover country" - except that it refers to a MUCH bigger part of the nation being given such disrespect by a very small number of persons on the east and west coasts.