Democratic Leaders Try to Slow Calls to Impeach Trump

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Democratic Leaders Try to Slow Calls to Impeach Trump

WASHINGTON — When House Democratic leaders hastily called a news conference Wednesday to demonstrate their outrage at President Trump’s latest dramatics, they took great pains to show they were not seeking to railroad him out of the White House.

“No one ought to, in my view, rush to embrace the most extraordinary remedy that involves the removal of the president from office,” said Representative Adam B. Schiff of California, the sober-minded senior Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee. He warned that Democrats should not let their actions “be perceived as an effort to nullify the election by other means.”

At that very moment, Representative Al Green, Democrat of Texas, was in the well of the House thundering, “The president must be impeached!”

The barrage of reports about Mr. Trump’s chaotic and controversial administration has helped revive Democrats, raising their hopes that they can ride a Trumpian backlash to great success in next year’s elections. But with the cloud over the White House darkening each day, liberal activists are courting a backlash of their own as they demand of their lawmakers nothing short of driving the president from office by any means necessary.

that was a quick walk back ......... I'm guessing someone pulled their head out of their ass long enough the realize they ain't got ####

SamSpade

Actually I think Pence would be a good President.

But I think there are a number of low information types who don't get Presidential succession and somehow imagine removing Trump from office will either put a Democrat in there or end his agenda.
It will do neither.

Also, I am glad that the writers of the Constitution placed a high bar on the means to remove a man from the White House - in some parliamentary governments, a "no confidence" vote is all that is needed.
We can't have Presidents booted out of office because the opposition feels offended or objects to their policy - that's why we have a Congress.

They also run the risk of pissing off voters who aren't part of their base. Much as their base is hard core opposed to Trump, they'll piss off the moderates and energize the right.
It will work against them - as it did the GOP in 1998.

Wishbone

But I think there are a number of low information types who don't get Presidential succession and somehow imagine removing Trump from office will either put a Democrat in there or end his agenda.
It will do neither.

Also, I am glad that the writers of the Constitution placed a high bar on the means to remove a man from the White House - in some parliamentary governments, a "no confidence" vote is all that is needed.
We can't have Presidents booted out of office because the opposition feels offended or objects to their policy - that's why we have a Congress.

They also run the risk of pissing off voters who aren't part of their base. Much as their base is hard core opposed to Trump, they'll piss off the moderates and energize the right.
It will work against them - as it did the GOP in 1998.

My comment wasn't a criticism of Pence.

I mentioned it only because if they remove Trump, who is not a strong conservative, they'll put one in place.

One that has the political background and understanding to make them regret it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
- in some parliamentary governments, a "no confidence" vote is all that is needed.
We can't have Presidents booted out of office because the opposition feels offended or objects to their policy -

:yay:

we have a President, NOT a Prime Minister Elected by a Parliament ...... Ours IMHO is the better method

SamSpade

:yay:

we have a President, NOT a Prime Minister Elected by a Parliament ...... Ours IMHO is the better method

TECHNICALLY - our method isn't a LOT different, since electors actually choose him. We select electors who vote on our behalf,
and the process is similar.

The one peculiarity of parliamentary governments is, they typically have a lot more parties, since election to the parliament isn't first past the post for every position.
If we chose our House in a similar way, there WOULD be Greens and Libertarians and others in there, since party representation is the crucial element.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I only know Pence as Trump's second banana. For all I know, he's a gang banger who would be the same as having Paul Ryan in the White House.

I like Trump. In fact, this is the first time since Reagan that we've had a president I like and can support.

The real "constitutional crisis" we're facing is an opposition party trying to take out the guy who won. Allowing violent rioters to overturn our election. Allowing the press to overturn our election. THAT is so against our Constitution it's mindboggling.

Hijinx

Maybe the Dems are starting to feel the backlash. I haven't spoken to anyone who doesn't say they have had enough of this picayune Bullsh1t.