Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dem Proposes Capping Amount a President Can Spend on Travel

Dem Proposes Capping Amount a President Can Spend on Travel

Dem Proposes Capping Amount a President Can Spend on Travel

In introducing the Stop Waste And Misuse by the President (SWAMP) Act, the congressman’s office claims that Trump is on track to spend more during his first year in office than eight years of expenses under Obama. According to the conservative group Judicial Watch, Obama spent $96.9 million on family travel during his time in office. Judicial Watch records also show that Trump spent about $1.3 million for two recent flights in February and March to Mar-a-Lago, a resort in Palm Beach, Fla., owned by the Trump family. Lieu’s office estimates the total cost of security for each trip to Palm Beach at $3.7 million, while also listing a $35,000 charge for golf cart rentals ordered by the Secret Service.

Judicial Watch president Tom Fitton in a recent interview said it’s not a fair comparison between Obama and Trump, as there hasn’t been a large enough sample size for the latter. Some of Obama’s trips were “way out there,” according to Fitton.

“(Trump) is not taking vacation time, frankly, as much as he should,” he said, noting that Lieu’s legislation sounds like a “typical, juvenile, anti-Trump response” to a real problem, which is the cost of the presidency. “Why is it that we need an entire military expedition to move from point A to point B? Is it necessary? I appreciate they want to have all the bases covered, but is it necessary? I don’t know. Those are the sort of questions that only President Trump is going to ask.”

Lieu’s bill describes Trump’s trips to Mar-a-Lago as “unacceptable,” given his direct financial interest in the estate.

“Every time the President travels to Mar-a-Lago, he necessarily promotes his private business interests via free press at the Government’s expense,” the legislation reads, adding that a recent State Department promotion “of Mar-a-Lago on its official website raises serious ethics concerns.”

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Blog Entries
    LMAO. What "pissing in the wind" looks like in legislative matters.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Ignoring who is in office, and the obvious hub-bub relating to Trump (SWAMP Act ) why is this a bad thing? Assuming it's not limiting official travel or anything.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    why is this a bad thing?
    How is it a "good" thing? How would it even matter?? It's nothing but a political stunt...a futile symbolic gesture.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    How is it a "good" thing? How would it even matter?? It's nothing but a political stunt...a futile symbolic gesture.
    Ignoring my statement, yes.

For future presidents, and as someone who advocates for less government spending, I see no problem with this.

Blog Entries
    Ignoring my statement, yes.

For future presidents, and as someone who advocates for less government spending, I see no problem with this.
    Meh. I guess. I'm all about frugal government too, but the amount of money involved is practically within the realm of round-off error. The job doesn't pay squat, so the perks make up for it maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Meh. I guess. I'm all about frugal government too, but the amount of money involved is practically within the realm of round-off error. The job doesn't pay squat, so the perks make up for it maybe?
    That's assuming you account for only the President's time and money. Not the locale's security, SS, AF1 fuel, etc. I'm also not saying the President should work all the time without vacation.

Regardless of how small, we'll never reign in our debt problem ignoring the small things. If everything is small enough to ignore, it becomes a bigger issue.

Sure, it's not reigning in Social Security, or Medicare, but it's something. Not to mention the Democrats are essentially doing something to reduce federal spending. Conservatives should be jumping all over this chance.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    “Why is it that we need an entire military expedition to move from point A to point B? Is it necessary? I appreciate they want to have all the bases covered, but is it necessary? I don’t know." - Judicial Watch president Tom Fitton
    I actually do think this is a fair question. I do not understand why we do this, yet not for the Chief Justice (the equal position in the co-equal branch of government). Why do we fly SOTH around the way we do? Why do we provide limousine services for any member of congress? Etc., etc. They're fair questions, and I think this legislation is crap because it is aimed at a person, not a problem.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Blog Entries
    That's assuming you account for only the President's time and money. Not the locale's security, SS, AF1 fuel, etc. I'm also not saying the President should work all the time without vacation.

Regardless of how small, we'll never reign in our debt problem ignoring the small things. If everything is small enough to ignore, it becomes a bigger issue.

Sure, it's not reigning in Social Security, or Medicare, but it's something. Not to mention the Democrats are essentially doing something to reduce federal spending. Conservatives should be jumping all over this chance.
    The job doesn't pay squat, so the perks make up for it maybe?

Blog Entries
    Not to mention the Democrats are essentially doing something to reduce federal spending. Conservatives should be jumping all over this chance.
    You are not that naive. It's simply an anti-Trump political stunt. Nothing more and nothing less.

Members who have read this thread: 51