Another case of distracted driving?

3CATSAILOR

This may or may not be caused by texting. But, it does sound like some type of distracted driving.

The Baynet: Leonardtown MD. On May 21, 2017, at approximately 1:59 a.m., St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office patrol deputies responded to Maypole Road near Friendship School Road in Mechanicsville for a single motor vehicle collision involving a Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department fire truck. The preliminary investigation reveals, the fire truck left roadway and struck an embankment while responding to an unrelated motor vehicle collision.

Two occupants of the fire truck were transported by "Trooper 7" for the treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

The patrol division is continuing the investigation.

black dog

Free America
2300 block of Maypole Rd, I wonder if they were coming out of or going into the curve right there? Seems the local Fire Chiefs would slow down those cowboys and try to keep the equipment between the lines on the road.
Non- life threating injury's being flown on Trooper 7 ??
What does that cost?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Non- life threating injury's being flown on Trooper 7 ??
What does that cost?

No comment on the accident, it's dark.
But yes, when did we start flying people out for "non-life threatening injuries".
I thought that was reserved for critical cases.

Tech

No comment on the accident, it's dark.
But yes, when did we start flying people out for "non-life threatening injuries".
I thought that was reserved for critical cases.

EMS uses basic guidelines to determine fly outs since we are so far from a trauma center by ground. Statistics show that person involved in certain types of incidents may be seriously injured without obvious signs. One post I read stated that one FF was ejected, this would be a candidate for flyout. If I remember correctly there was a motorcycle accident a few years back on Flat Irons Rd. where the rider was awake and alert with no signs of serious injuries, he was dead within a couple of hours. They did reduce flyouts after that one Trooper 2 crash but iy seems they're back to the old levels.

This_person

Seems the local Fire Chiefs would slow down those cowboys and try to keep the equipment between the lines on the road.

Through what means of enforcement? These are people doing this as a hobby on the side for no direct/immediate paycheck. The only means of enforcement is to fire a volunteer in a time when we don't really have a sufficient number already.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

But yes, when did we start flying people out for "non-life threatening injuries". I thought that was reserved for critical cases.

It's because they are part of the special privileged class now. Anyone part of the "first responder" class gets automatic fly outs.

awpitt

Main Streeter
EMS uses basic guidelines to determine fly outs since we are so far from a trauma center by ground. Statistics show that person involved in certain types of incidents may be seriously injured without obvious signs. One post I read stated that one FF was ejected, this would be a candidate for flyout. If I remember correctly there was a motorcycle accident a few years back on Flat Irons Rd. where the rider was awake and alert with no signs of serious injuries, he was dead within a couple of hours. They did reduce flyouts after that one Trooper 2 crash but iy seems they're back to the old levels.

This is true. As an example, any type of head injury, however slight, results in a fly out.

black dog

Free America
Through what means of enforcement? These are people doing this as a hobby on the side for no direct/immediate paycheck. The only means of enforcement is to fire a volunteer in a time when we don't really have a sufficient number already.

How about the State or County Police departments write tickets for the poor driving?
How about the State Police charge the cdl drivers when trucks are wrecked when a retread separates, and it was missed in the daily safety inspection that's supposed to be done on each shift before operating equipment. The tread peeling off was what was used as the reason for the accident..
How about a simple gps like I put in my kids truck?
I set the parameters and if broken it alerts me.. If they can't drive safely, how about they can't drive any fire equipment. How hard is that ?
The driver is responsible for his load and truck.. but yet very seldom does a fire Dept driver be held responsible for his actions..
You just never seem to hear the Fire Chiefs condemn the continued bad behavior.
And if the stations can't get volunteers, go to paid departments.

black dog

Free America

If it's true that one was ejected, do you think he will get a ticket for not having his seatbelt on?
And what idiot would be in a piece of emergency equipment and not wear a Fing seatbelt?
One would thing after a few months of being a fireman one would have seen enough to always wear a seatbelt.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If it's true that one was ejected, do you think he will get a ticket for not having his seatbelt on?
And what idiot would be in a piece of emergency equipment and not wear a Fing seatbelt?
One would thing after a few months of being a fireman one would have seen enough to always wear a seatbelt.

Who said he didn't have his seatbelt on?

black dog

Free America
Show me someone being ejected from a car or truck and in 99.99% of the time, I'll show you someone was not wearing a seatbelt.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I don’t know any of the specifics of this call so I’m not going to throw any blame and hope the responders are OK.

I see it too many times VFD/EMS driving like maniacs- blowing through red lights/stop signs without clearing the intersection, high rates of speed in congested traffic and narrow/winding roads, air horn crazy, etc. We (I’m a volunteer) don’t own the road in these large and very expensive pieces of apparatus. They are heavy and do not drive like your Honda Civic. Maybe it’s an adrenalin thing trying to get to the scene or inexperienced drivers being pushed through training to get the piece on the road or even the old timers who think that since they have been driving forever they can push the limits? Who knows… I have been volunteer driving ambulances for 20+yrs without an incident (knock on wood!) and while training newbies I tell them you are not going to help anyone if you can’t get to the scene safely. Now a days most of the time the calls don’t event warrant a priority response, but we don’t know that until we get there “safely”.

officeguy

For the premise of the initial post: I doubt that distracted driving is going to be the culprit in this particular case. More likely 'speed not appropriate for the road conditions.' This was a heavy rescue on wet pavement on a 2 lane road. Sometimes you just have to slow down.

Smnewsnet now reports '7 broken ribs, fractured collarbone, fractured arm and lots of road rash'. I agree with what was said above, this suggests that someone wasn't wearing his seatbelt. NFPA requires seatbelts at any station occupied by a firefighter while the truck is in motion. Getting people to buckle up has been a big focus for a number of years.

As for why they were flown: This was called in by whoever was in charge as 'cat B priority 2 subject was ejected'. Not having been there, I can't tell whether that triage was correct. A flyout based on mechanism of injury alone (e.g. 'subject ejected' or a rollover) would typically be in category C in the MD trauma decision tree.

Whether a trauma victim who does not fall under category A who gets injured 4 minutes by road from a community hospital benefits from a medevac to a level 2 facility is a question the maryland EMS system has yet to provide an answer for. I am just going to leave it at that.

Last edited:

This_person

How about the State or County Police departments write tickets for the poor driving?
How about the State Police charge the cdl drivers when trucks are wrecked when a retread separates, and it was missed in the daily safety inspection that's supposed to be done on each shift before operating equipment. The tread peeling off was what was used as the reason for the accident..

These have nothing to do with the chief.

How about a simple gps like I put in my kids truck?
I set the parameters and if broken it alerts me.. If they can't drive safely, how about they can't drive any fire equipment. How hard is that ?

That's easy - then what?

The driver is responsible for his load and truck.. but yet very seldom does a fire Dept driver be held responsible for his actions..
You just never seem to hear the Fire Chiefs condemn the continued bad behavior.
And if the stations can't get volunteers, go to paid departments.

The leadership isn't going to pick on the crews. These are social clubs that happen to put out fires as their hobby. Leaderships of social clubs don't pick on their members.

black dog

Free America
These have nothing to do with the chief.

That's easy - then what?

The leadership isn't going to pick on the crews. These are social clubs that happen to put out fires as their hobby. Leaderships of social clubs don't pick on their members.

I don't understand why it's so difficult to hold people responsible?????
Maybe if it all wasn't part of the club, these unnecessary wrecks would stop happening.
Then what?? How about hold them responsible, if you can't drive like a responsible adult, you can't drive or operate any fire department equipment.
Picking on members ??? How about they act like responsible adults..

It's stupid how much equipment is trashed by irresponsible volunteers,
I know of one who now lives in Florida, he started in Bladensburg and rolled over a Hook & Ladder, then went to Hyattsville and rolled another piece of equipment, then went to Hughsville and as Treasurer borrowed money without permission, he was fired from working in the family business for stealing cash. Then to Mechanicsville FD and was run out, went across the street to the ambulance company and at that time he worked for the County and was arrested for stealing gas at the county station for a few years. He is a pos and he just kept moving down the fire department line. If he had been drummed out long before, lots of people would have been saved lots of grief.

Remind me please, what's the definition of crazy?

3CATSAILOR

If I conducted enough of an investigation, I would be able to issue at least two or three tickets. Since it is my understanding, at least according to media reports, which of course is subject to being accurate or not, some people were "flown" out. This is usually reserved for serious accidents. Head trauma can qualify. So can a chest compression and other reasons. Since I wasn't the EMT on the scene, I don't know why it would be requested. In general our ambulance, CRT and fire fighters due an outstanding job. We all make mistakes in life. Anyone who says he or she does not is lying. However, we should make sure that everyone, not just those responding to this call learns from the mistake. And we should pray that those that are injured do not have serious injuries and are able to return to a healthy life.