Deuteronomy 4 Show Wisdom & Understanding

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 4:1 Now, Israel, hear the decrees and laws I am about to teach you. Follow them so that you may live and may go in and take possession of the land the Lord, the God of your ancestors, is giving you. 2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you.

3 You saw with your own eyes what the Lord did at Baal Peor. The Lord your God destroyed from among you everyone who followed the Baal of Peor, 4 but all of you who held fast to the Lord your God are still alive today.

5 See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the Lord my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. 6 Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, “Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.” 7 What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him? 8 And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today?​

This comes from the GodVine site.

There was no mode of worship at this time on the face or the earth that was not wicked, obscene, puerile, foolish, or ridiculous, except that established by God himself among the Israelites. And every part of this, taken in its connection and reference, may be truly called a wise and reasonable service.

The nations - and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people - Almost all the nations in the earth showed that they had formed this opinion of the Jews, by borrowing from them the principal part of their civil code. Take away what Asia and Europe, whether ancient or modern, have borrowed from the Mosaic laws, and you leave little behind that can be called excellent.​

Later on, when we get to 1 Kings 10, the Queen of Sheba will visit King Solomon, a descendant of these very same people.

Remember, the men Moses is talking to didn't remember being enslaved in Egypt. The men Moses is talking to didn't remember the Passover. These are the descendants of Jacob [who God called Israel]. The men Moses is talking to were descendants of two brothers who took revenge on an entire town because one man seduced or raped their sister. [Remember, they told them to be circumcised in order that there could be a wedding.... then while all the men in the town were in severe pain from the circumcision, they brothers murdered every man in the town.] The men Moses is talking to were descendants of the men who threw their own brother down into a cistern and would have left him there to die if an opportunity to make a few bucks hadn't arrived right on time. These men Moses is talking to didn't remember when Pharaoh's army was wiped out by God.

Then again.... there are soldiers in our army today who don't remember 9/11.

:coffee: