Deuteronomy 4 Teach the kids

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 4:9 Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. 10 Remember the day you stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, when he said to me, “Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children.” 11 You came near and stood at the foot of the mountain while it blazed with fire to the very heavens, with black clouds and deep darkness. 12 Then the Lord spoke to you out of the fire. You heard the sound of words but saw no form; there was only a voice. 13 He declared to you his covenant, the Ten Commandments, which he commanded you to follow and then wrote them on two stone tablets. 14 And the Lord directed me at that time to teach you the decrees and laws you are to follow in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess.​

Over the years I've heard a lot of people say that Christians are brain washed.

The day President Kennedy was shot I was in elementary school, in Virginia Beach, Virginia.... I remember it. Where were you?

Then we all went through 9/11. It was so surreal. You would think that no one would forget the sights and sounds we all endured that day. My daughter was only in kindergarten then. She wasn't told what was going on. The teachers thought it would be too much for them to comprehend. The subject has come up from time to time over the past year or two. She doesn't remember any of it. Do you remember it?

The children on the shore of the Jordan River on the day that Moses was making this speech were not alive when the oldest child was sacrificed on that Passover night. The children on the shore of the Jordan River on the day that Moses was making this speech were not alive when Pharaoh's chariots were swallowed up by the water. They weren't there when the people, craving the idol worship of the Egyptians, threw the gold into the cauldron causing a golden calf to pop out [as Aaron described it]. They wouldn't remember it. It had been forty years.... some of them weren't even alive!

These events had to be passed down through the generations. Parents had to tell their children about it. Kids didn't go to school every week day as our kids do now. They helped in the shop or in the fields. They worked. Kids were a commodity not a luxury. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until recently that kids had the opportunity to learn to read and write. Parents didn't know how to read and write. Without word of mouth, history would have been lost forever had it not been passed down.

This is from the easy English site.

Moses reminded the Israelites that God gave to them the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai. God spoke to them but they did not see God. Therefore, they must not make an image of him. They must be careful not to forget God. They should tell their children and their grandchildren about him.

Christians must remember what God has done. They should tell their children about him.

The flames, clouds and darkness show that God is magnificent. Moses warned the people. They had to obey what God had told them to do.

The covenant was a relationship and a special promise between God and his people. Deuteronomy refers to the covenant 26 times. The Israelites could show that they were God’s people. They did that when they obeyed his commandments.

:coffee:

Last edited: