The new religious right in America

Sapidus

Peanuts.jpg

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter heaven." - Jesus
"If you're rich, it's because God loves you!" - Prosperity gospel

This_person

View attachment 118598

"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter heaven." - Jesus
"If you're rich, it's because God loves you!" - Prosperity gospel

you are, as many do, conflating what PEOPLE should do (as discussed in the Bible) and what GOVERNMENT is tasked to do.

As a general rule, when religious people say that "America should adhere to biblical principles" the speaker is implying THE PEOPLE should act better. That means having morals based on biblical principles.

The GOVERNMENT, however, is run by the rules as set forth in the Constitution. One of those rules is that people actually do have the freedom to believe or not in any religion (or none) as they choose. Inclusive in the rules set forth in the Constitution would be:
  • (frame 2 of your comic) that the government has no role in feeding and housing the poor - but THE PEOPLE should set up shelters and food banks
  • (frame 3 of your comic) there is a requirement not to have cruel and unusual punishment of prisoners, but there is no requirement to make prison a retreat from real life
  • (frame 4 of your comic) the burden should be the same on all citizens, and it should be as small as practical
  • (frame 5 of your comic) since frame 1 was "Christian principles", I know no Christian who is not about loving one's neighbor as Jesus loves us, therefore this seems an inaccurate frame towards people's beliefs. However, since we ARE talking about government in every other frame, I certainly see no Constitutional principle that requires I even like or tolerate anyone else, let alone love them - quite the opposite ("freedom" and all that)
  • (frame 6 of your comic) not sure what this even means - do we not catch and punish criminals? Is that what Linus is asking?
  • (frame 7 of your comic) people who are not here legally should be treated as if their actions are illegal, and those here legally should be treated with respect. Again, I'm not sure what Christian has ever said, "get them foreigners out of here - especially the ones here legally!!" Just seems like a wholly inaccurate frame
  • (frame 8 of your comic) another conflation of government and people - it is not up to the government to define or defend "social injustice", especially anywhere else in the world except the United States. However, what PEOPLE choose to do with their time, money, and talent is entirely up to them and most any Christian is all about helping people in other countries and ours be treated fairly. Christians are among the highest of people who donate in the world, and are part of innumerable charitable organizations specifically designed to help the needy.
  • (frame 9 of your comic) as PEOPLE, I agree completely. As GOVERNMENT, gay people have not ever been denied the right to marry, so this is pretty stupid, too.

Sorry for busting your bubble. I'm assuming if you meant this as a joke you would have posted it in the joke section (where it belongs). Instead, you posted it here for discussion, and there's really no discussing something that is wrong on every level.

munacra

like like

you are, as many do, conflating what people should do (as discussed in the bible) and what government is tasked to do.

As a general rule, when religious people say that "america should adhere to biblical principles" the speaker is implying the people should act better. That means having morals based on biblical principles.

The government, however, is run by the rules as set forth in the constitution. One of those rules is that people actually do have the freedom to believe or not in any religion (or none) as they choose. Inclusive in the rules set forth in the constitution would be:
  • (frame 2 of your comic) that the government has no role in feeding and housing the poor - but the people should set up shelters and food banks
  • (frame 3 of your comic) there is a requirement not to have cruel and unusual punishment of prisoners, but there is no requirement to make prison a retreat from real life
  • (frame 4 of your comic) the burden should be the same on all citizens, and it should be as small as practical
  • (frame 5 of your comic) since frame 1 was "christian principles", i know no christian who is not about loving one's neighbor as jesus loves us, therefore this seems an inaccurate frame towards people's beliefs. However, since we are talking about government in every other frame, i certainly see no constitutional principle that requires i even like or tolerate anyone else, let alone love them - quite the opposite ("freedom" and all that)
  • (frame 6 of your comic) not sure what this even means - do we not catch and punish criminals? Is that what linus is asking?
  • (frame 7 of your comic) people who are not here legally should be treated as if their actions are illegal, and those here legally should be treated with respect. Again, i'm not sure what christian has ever said, "get them foreigners out of here - especially the ones here legally!!" just seems like a wholly inaccurate frame
  • (frame 8 of your comic) another conflation of government and people - it is not up to the government to define or defend "social injustice", especially anywhere else in the world except the united states. However, what people choose to do with their time, money, and talent is entirely up to them and most any christian is all about helping people in other countries and ours be treated fairly. Christians are among the highest of people who donate in the world, and are part of innumerable charitable organizations specifically designed to help the needy.
  • (frame 9 of your comic) as people, i agree completely. As government, gay people have not ever been denied the right to marry, so this is pretty stupid, too.

sorry for busting your bubble. I'm assuming if you meant this as a joke you would have posted it in the joke section (where it belongs). Instead, you posted it here for discussion, and there's really no discussing something that is wrong on every level.

Sapidus

you are, as many do, conflating what PEOPLE should do (as discussed in the Bible) and what GOVERNMENT is tasked to do.

As a general rule, when religious people say that "America should adhere to biblical principles" the speaker is implying THE PEOPLE should act better. That means having morals based on biblical principles.

The GOVERNMENT, however, is run by the rules as set forth in the Constitution. One of those rules is that people actually do have the freedom to believe or not in any religion (or none) as they choose. Inclusive in the rules set forth in the Constitution would be:
  • (frame 2 of your comic) that the government has no role in feeding and housing the poor - but THE PEOPLE should set up shelters and food banks
  • (frame 5 of your comic) since frame 1 was "Christian principles", I know no Christian who is not about loving one's neighbor as Jesus loves us, therefore this seems an inaccurate frame towards people's beliefs. However, since we ARE talking about government in every other frame, I certainly see no Constitutional principle that requires I even like or tolerate anyone else, let alone love them - quite the opposite ("freedom" and all that)
  • (frame 6 of your comic) not sure what this even means - do we not catch and punish criminals? Is that what Linus is asking?
  • (frame 7 of your comic) people who are not here legally should be treated as if their actions are illegal, and those here legally should be treated with respect. Again, I'm not sure what Christian has ever said, "get them foreigners out of here - especially the ones here legally!!" Just seems like a wholly inaccurate frame
  • (frame 8 of your comic) another conflation of government and people - it is not up to the government to define or defend "social injustice", especially anywhere else in the world except the United States. However, what PEOPLE choose to do with their time, money, and talent is entirely up to them and most any Christian is all about helping people in other countries and ours be treated fairly. Christians are among the highest of people who donate in the world, and are part of innumerable charitable organizations specifically designed to help the needy.
  • (frame 9 of your comic) as PEOPLE, I agree completely. As GOVERNMENT, gay people have not ever been denied the right to marry, so this is pretty stupid, too.

Sorry for busting your bubble. I'm assuming if you meant this as a joke you would have posted it in the joke section (where it belongs). Instead, you posted it here for discussion, and there's really no discussing something that is wrong on every level.

Whatever excuses help you sleep at night.

This_person

:gossip: Psst... no, he doesn't.
Above his pay grade.......

If he wanted to just post a joke, I assume he would post it in the "joke" section. He posted it in a political discussion forum, so I presumed he wanted to discuss it.

Now, either he's suggesting that we should, as a matter of practice, operate our government out of Christian principles instead of the Constitution -have a real theocracy - or, he's trying to suggest that Christians don't follow their theocratic principles because they don't want government to take money from them by force to use as Government feels is the right way to use their money (instead of deciding for themselves).

Either way, I fully disagree. But, at least he could offer up a discussion about this instead of post-and-run a la Boy and TJ.

SamSpade

you are, as many do, conflating what PEOPLE should do (as discussed in the Bible) and what GOVERNMENT is tasked to do..

Outstanding. I have nothing to add except - Christian principles are not for governments but for individuals - because they are the only ones being saved.

stgislander

PREMO Member
If he wanted to just post a joke, I assume he would post it in the "joke" section. He posted it in a political discussion forum, so I presumed he wanted to discuss it.

Now, either he's suggesting that we should, as a matter of practice, operate our government out of Christian principles instead of the Constitution -have a real theocracy - or, he's trying to suggest that Christians don't follow their theocratic principles because they don't want government to take money from them by force to use as Government feels is the right way to use their money (instead of deciding for themselves).

Either way, I fully disagree. But, at least he could offer up a discussion about this instead of post-and-run a la Boy and TJ.

I would guess #2, but then I have no idea what's rolling around in that head if his/hers.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
or, he's trying to suggest that Christians don't follow their theocratic principles because they don't want government to take money from them by force to use as Government feels is the right way to use their money (instead of deciding for themselves).

to a progressive a Christian is being hypocritical in he/ she does not hand over their pay checks to so the Gov can redistribute as the Gov see fit based on humanist principals not GODS

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know, right? I've started actually looking for Sappy's posts just to see if he's (she's? it's?) run out of stupid yet

Those of Sappy's ilk have large reservoirs of stupid. But even worse...when they run low, they bail and return with a new forum name and a refilled reservoir. WTF? I wish the gas for all my hogs could be refilled the same way.