“I’m looking at 2,900 autopsies, 2,000 of them overdoses,”

For the second time this year, a coroner’s office in Ohio has run out of space for dead bodies due to the opioid epidemic.

The Trib reports the Montgomery County, Ohio office had 13 bodies yesterday, and 12 of them were overdoses.

Coroner, Dr. Kent Harshbarger, says they have already expanded the cooler once last year because space for 36 wasn’t enough, it now holds 42.

“If this pace continues, I’m not really sure what we’re going to do,” Dr. Harshbarger told the Trib. “It’s full every night.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/05/23/ohio-coroner-space-opioid-deaths/

Toxick

Splat
For the second time this year, a coroner’s office in Ohio has run out of space for dead bodies due to the opioid epidemic.

They should make heroin illegal, and strictly regulate those other Opioids. Why isn't the government doing something?!

SamSpade

They should make heroin illegal, and strictly regulate those other Opioids. Why isn't the government doing something?!

No, they should make it LEGAL, so all the deaths by dealers will just disappear.

Of course, deaths by overdose will still happen, but que sera,sera.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The Trib reports the Montgomery County, Ohio ...

Ever notice that there seems to be a whole lot of Montgomery Countys in the country that have liberal problems, just like our very own Montgomery County? Isn't it ironic?

Montgomery County, Alabama
Montgomery County, Arkansas
Montgomery County, Georgia
Montgomery County, Illinois
Montgomery County, Indiana
Montgomery County, Iowa
Montgomery County, Kansas
Montgomery County, Kentucky
Montgomery County, Maryland
Montgomery County, Mississippi
Montgomery County, Missouri
Montgomery County, New York
Montgomery County, North Carolina
Montgomery County, Ohio
Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Montgomery County, Tennessee
Montgomery County, Texas
Montgomery County, Virginia

black dog

Free America

The Trib reports the Montgomery County, Ohio office had 13 bodies yesterday, and 12 of them were overdoses.

Coroner, Dr. Kent Harshbarger, says they have already expanded the cooler once last year because space for 36 wasn’t enough, it now holds 42.

“If this pace continues, I’m not really sure what we’re going to do,” Dr. Harshbarger told the Trib. “It’s full every night.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/05/23/ohio-coroner-space-opioid-deaths/

It's bad all over the Midwest,. There is a town near my weekend place called Austin, Indiana that has about 4,000 residents. 200 of them have aids from needle sharing and it's growing every month.
It's a town full of empty homes and poverty and dispare.
It's not the heroin that's killing them, it's the mixing of heroin with fentanyl or other large animal sedatives.
Ones a addict starts to mix, the road to death is short.

Legalized drugs will not stop folks from " Chasing the Dragon "
Opium dens were killing folks long before we had the first national drug act.
And they will always be folks that travel that road.

Chris0nllyn

It's bad all over the Midwest,. There is a town near my weekend place called Austin, Indiana that has about 4,000 residents. 200 of them have aids from needle sharing and it's growing every month.
It's a town full of empty homes and poverty and dispare.
It's not the heroin that's killing them, it's the mixing of heroin with fentanyl or other large animal sedatives.
Ones a addict starts to mix, the road to death is short.

Legalized drugs will not stop folks from " Chasing the Dragon "
Opium dens were killing folks long before we had the first national drug act.
And they will always be folks that travel that road.

I'm not sure the arugment is that legalizing drugs will suddely stop people from using them.

The question is, what's the end goal with the current model? To stand idly by while these ODs and AIDS/HIV/HepC rates increase (putting greater onus on taxpayers through public health expenditures)?

black dog

Free America
I'm not sure the arugment is that legalizing drugs will suddely stop people from using them.

The question is, what's the end goal with the current model? To stand idly by while these ODs and AIDS/HIV/HepC rates increase (putting greater onus on taxpayers through public health expenditures)?

I'm a firm believer that most human behavior will not change no matter what is done.
I'm also a believer that all drugs should be available to anyone that can pay for them.
I'm a 60's & 70's kid that have friends that did , do and have died from doing drugs.
The government has no business in other folks hobbies, weekend past times or habits.
Let it be the self cleaning oven like it was for so long.
We have addicts here that have been narcaned up to a few times a week.
#### them, let them flop around until they croak.
You play Russian roulette, eventually that hammer falls on a loaded chamber.

Restitution

They should pass some local laws like they do around here. Midnight, closed door, commissioners style! Make it so that a junkie can only be administered narcan if they carry some kind of card on them at all times. When they are too lazy or too stupid to NOT get a card, then the EMTs will have legal grounds to NOT give it to them. Easy peasey!

black dog

Free America
They should pass some local laws like they do around here. Midnight, closed door, commissioners style! Make it so that a junkie can only be administered narcan if they carry some kind of card on them at all times. When they are too lazy or too stupid to NOT get a card, then the EMTs will have legal grounds to NOT give it to them. Easy peasey!

One of the problems with that is, law enforcement and emts for the most part don't want to sit and watch a addict croak. Much less deal with seeing it 6 to 10 times a week.
They are one of the big proponents to being able to administer narcan.
The needle and cooking kit state run programs are a flammable topic out here,
Narcan programs are just as volatile..
When Pence was Governor, he very reluctantly signed the free needle bill.
It was only because of the huge aids outbreak in southern Indiana that he did sign it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm a firm believer that most human behavior will not change no matter what is done.
I'm also a believer that all drugs should be available to anyone that can pay for them.
I'm a 60's & 70's kid that have friends that did , do and have died from doing drugs.
The government has no business in other folks hobbies, weekend past times or habits.
Let it be the self cleaning oven like it was for so long.

The story here isn't about the cause, it's about what to do about the effect. It seems simple enough, do away with the individual freezer concept. If ever there was a group that wasn't going to complain about the accommodations it's this, let's just go back to the big freezers and stack them higher. With individual freezers you'd get maybe 60 in a room, with a single big freezer you could stack up at least 200.

officeguy

One way of doing this would be to restrict the use of Narcan to patients who have a valid narcotics prescription.

officeguy

The story here isn't about the cause, it's about what to do about the effect. It seems simple enough, do away with the individual freezer concept. If ever there was a group that wasn't going to complain about the accommodations it's this, let's just go back to the big freezers and stack them higher. With individual freezers you'd get maybe 60 in a room, with a single big freezer you could stack up at least 200.

And then what ? The problem is that at this point forensic pathologists are working overtime to process all the required autopsies. Now you could just say 'screw it, they are all junkies, who cares', and release the bodies without an autopsy. If you do that, you are going to miss cases where someone is murdered and the perpetrator just makes it look like an OD.

black dog

Free America

They are not freezers, they are coolers. And with just stacking them up, there easily could be cross contamination from one body to another. And that would cause loads of other problems.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
And then what ? The problem is that at this point forensic pathologists are working overtime to process all the required autopsies. Now you could just say 'screw it, they are all junkies, who cares', and release the bodies without an autopsy. If you do that, you are going to miss cases where someone is murdered and the perpetrator just makes it look like an OD.
soylent green

officeguy

They are not freezers, they are coolers. And with just stacking them up, there easily could be cross contamination from one body to another. And that would cause loads of other problems.

In mass casualty events, coroners have used commercial reefer trucks to store the bodies. They are usually in bags or air-trays, there would be any cross-contamination.

Cooling them only slows the process, unless you have enough personnel to perform the autopsies, all you end up with coolers full of rotting corpses.