4CA says Wikipedia can sue NSA

Chris0nllyn

A federal appeals court on Tuesday revived a Wikipedia lawsuit that challenges a U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) program of mass online surveillance, and claims that the government unconstitutionally invades people's privacy rights.

By a 3-0 vote, the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia said the Wikimedia Foundation, which hosts the Wikipedia online encyclopedia, can pursue a challenge to the government's "Upstream" surveillance program.

The case is Wikimedia Foundation et al v National Security Agency et al, 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 15-2560.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-wikipedia-nsa-idUSKBN18J206

ACLU, Amnesty International USA, Human Rights Watch, and Edward Snowden should be thanked.

This_person

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-wikipedia-nsa-idUSKBN18J206

ACLU, Amnesty International USA, Human Rights Watch, and Edward Snowden should be thanked.

Certainly not Snowden - all he did was violate a series of laws to make a point instead of utilizing the proper channels. Anyone working the lawsuit I'm good with thanking - anyone who simply breaks laws I am not.

However, I wonder who is going after the TSA. I just don't have the money.

Chris0nllyn

Certainly not Snowden - all he did was violate a series of laws to make a point instead of utilizing the proper channels. Anyone working the lawsuit I'm good with thanking - anyone who simply breaks laws I am not.

However, I wonder who is going after the TSA. I just don't have the money.

Taking the proper channels would never have worked. This info would have never come out, and we would have never known our own govt. is violating the constitution.

This_person

Taking the proper channels would never have worked. This info would have never come out, and we would have never known our own govt. is violating the constitution.

Of course we would. We have courts that can handle classified information, and we have multiple layers to protect against the problems. For example, your OP.

Chris0nllyn

Of course we would. We have courts that can handle classified information, and we have multiple layers to protect against the problems. For example, your OP.

The FISA court is shrouded in secrecy. Everything we know about the collection methods were brought to light by Snowden.

Those multiple layers used to protect us haven't worked too well apparently.