ISO Information White Sands

spinner

Anyone know about the neighborhood in the White Sands area? I know someone looking for a house but we don't know anything about that area. Thoughts?

Chris0nllyn

Anyone know about the neighborhood in the White Sands area? I know someone looking for a house but we don't know anything about that area. Thoughts?

It has its areas.

Anything seemingly along White Sand Dr. can be rough. Friend of min lived on the outskirts of the neighborhood and it seemed okay. (Though Live PD chased someone down his street in one episode).

I'd personally avoid it.

frequentflier

happy to be living

When we moved to the Lusby area 12+ years ago, White Sands had a high crime rate and the Calvert scanner was always jumping with calls for that area. Over the years, I think it has shifted more to Chesapeake Ranch Estates, where our first house was. The scanner calls are mostly for CRE now and there is a lot more crime there. As Chris0nllyn said, though, White Sands has it's areas (as does any neighborhood, really).
There are other parts of Lusby that are pretty good like off Coster Road, Olivett, Little Cove Point and even the Dowell area (road Ruddy Duck is on).

Goldenhawk

I suppose it depends on the quality of house you want. We've looked at a number of houses there as potential flips/rentals. They are older homes, and of lower-middle quality. Prices are accordingly lower, with an associated lower resale value. If you want a more reliable house with fewer issues over the years, I'd pass. If you have a limited budget, or don't mind a bit of a handyman special to get a lower entry price point, it's fine.

Bman

White Sands is fairly large and there can be a big difference from one street to the next. I live off of Planters Wharf Rd but it is still part of White Sands.
There are some streets closer to the entrance off Rt4 and some near the overhead transmission power lines that I wouldn't recommend. The Ranch club has more amenities for the dues but the roads in general aren't as good.

spinner

This person is looking to go farther north to have less of a commute. Deale, Shady Side, around there. White Sands was something the Realtor sent. CRE is too far south.

Chris0nllyn

Oof. Yea if they are looking to go north to avoid commute, White Sands wouldn't be an option in my book.

Plenty of cheaper options in Deale/Shady Side/Rosehaven/North Beach/Ches. Beach. Huntingtown, Owings, Sunderland, Dunkirk, etc. are other options as well without passing through the afternoon Prince Frederick traffic.

Not sure what their price range is, but the more north you go, the more expensive it is (generally speaking, $1,000 extra per mile north).

Keep in mind, if they are using a USDA RHD loan, the USDA exempts White Sands and CRE as options for that loan. Maybe the Beaches as well, not sure.