Trump tells Duterte "What a great job you're doing"

Chris0nllyn

Trump - I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem. Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing, and I just wanted to call and tell you that.

Duterte - Thank you Mr. President. This is the scourge of my nation now and I have to do something to preserve the Filipino nation.

Trump - I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous president who did not understand that, but I understand that and we have spoken about this before

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/do...-trump-and-philippine-president-duterte/2446/

Last month,
Patrick Murphy, the U.S. deputy assistant secretary of state for Southeast Asia, said the United States shared Manila's objective of eliminating the scourge of illicit drugs and wanted to help.

"We however do have a very sustained and deep concern when elements of the drug war are operating outside the rule of law," Murphy told reporters. "The growing number of extrajudicial killings is troubling."

"We are urging the Philippines to follow up on its commitment to investigate extrajudicial killings whether they are committed by law enforcement, or of a vigilante nature," he said.

Earlier on Thursday, Duterte's office rejected allegations by two senior police officers in a Reuters report that police received cash rewards for executing drug suspects, while the most high-profile critic of the president backed the officers' claims.
http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/04/21/...reasing-extrajudicial-killings-in-philippines

Below were the figures based on revised PNP data at the end of that period:

7,080 - total number of people killed in #WarOnDrugs since July 1, 2016

2,555 - suspected drug personalities killed in police operations, as of January 31, 2017

3,603 - victims in cases of deaths under investigation, as of January 9, 2017

922 - victims in cases where investigation has concluded, as of January 9, 2017

The PNP also records reports of extrajudicial, vigilante-style, or unexplained killings. Many of these cases are still being investigated by the police.

Data below is as of January 9, 2017.

4,146 - number of murder cases outside police operations

3,271 - number of cases/incidents of deaths under investigation

875 - number of cases/incidents with investigation concluded; among these:
- 543 are w/ suspects arrested
- 332 are w/ suspects at large
http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/145814-numbers-statistics-philippines-war-drugs

Chris0nllyn

Since Duterte took office in June, Philippine national police and vigilante death squads have embarked on a campaign to slaughter drug users as well as drug dealers. “Hitler massacred three million Jews [sic], now, there’s three million drug addicts. I’d be happy to slaughter them,” he said in September. Last month, he told a group of jobless Filipinos that they should “kill all the drug addicts.” Police have killed over 7,000 people, devastated poor areas of Manila and other cities, and used the drug war as a pretext to murder government officials and community leaders.

Duterte’s police killings are widely recognized by the international community as an ongoing atrocity. The “war on drugs” has drawn condemnation from the United Nations Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial killings, and last month a Philippine lawyer filed a complaint with the International Criminal Court accusing Duterte of mass murder and crimes against humanity. The State Department’s annual human rights report acknowledges thousands of “extrajudicial killings” with impunity and calls them the country’s “chief human rights concern.”

In 2016, Duterte campaigned on a policy of mass extermination for anyone involved in the drug trade. “I’d be happy to slaughter them. If Germany had Hitler, the Philippines would have me,” Duterte said after his inauguration in September.

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/23...derous-drug-war-you-are-doing-an-amazing-job/

Hijinx

That's one way to eradicate a serious national problem.

It aint pretty, but it's the only way to win.

When you call it a drug war you have to fight it like a war.
Calling it a war and fighting it in a court with rich expensive lawyers being paid with drug money and lenient Judges, just doesn't get the job done.