Dominion dumping into our bay

ODAT

black dog

Free America
I hate to inform you, all power plants, waste water treatment plants and other facilities discharge treated water into the tributaries, rivers and the bay.
That's one of the reasons they are built on waterways.

nutz

Why is no one angry or reporting that Dominion wants to dump as much as 144,000 gallons a day of waste into the Bay and swimming areas? Hogan has been cleaning up the northern part of the state, but now EPA is going to let them dump in the southern bay? WTH?
http://www.wearecovepoint.org/mde-and-dominions-bumpy-night-in-calvert-county/ Questions/complaints can be sent to questions can be directed to michael.richardson@maryland.gov and marjorie.mewbourn@maryland.gov.
Where's your independent lab testing data that indicates what "wastes" are being dumped?

Chris0nllyn

Why is no one angry or reporting that Dominion wants to dump as much as 144,000 gallons a day of waste into the Bay and swimming areas? Hogan has been cleaning up the northern part of the state, but now EPA is going to let them dump in the southern bay? WTH?
http://www.wearecovepoint.org/mde-and-dominions-bumpy-night-in-calvert-county/ Questions/complaints can be sent to questions can be directed to michael.richardson@maryland.gov and marjorie.mewbourn@maryland.gov.

There seems to be a bunch of different things being talked about in the link provided. Hopefully you can provide more details.

Chris0nllyn

I thought vessels larger than 80 ft are currently required to dump ballast water 200 miles from a U.S. shoreline. Along with some minimum treatment.

Gil do you keep up with the new laws?

Cove Point's CPCN Air, Water, and Environmental report summary says:
Operation of the Liquefaction Project will allow ships to be loaded, and ballast to be discharged, at the LNG Terminal offshore pier. Ballast water will be discharged in accordance with applicable regulations.

ASBrooks88

I for one am, and I have friends in PA that with the pipeline that is going through my hometown, is ending up down here, with the waste being dumped. Now, the waste is safe (so called) for human's. Therefore it has not direct impact on us, humans, the flip side to that, is , the same waste is not safe for aquatic life, and that has been proven. But, its really a matter of human vs aquatic. So, this is where we are. All I can say, is do like myself, and stay in touch with the Senators, Congressmen and Gov. Hogan. But as someone on this thread pointed out, this is small in comparison to the Nuclear cleanup waste that gets dumped.

Environmentally we as a State have managed to stop FRACKing, and we are still aware of cleaning and keeping the bay clean, but we can not lose the fight or drive, to keep our home area safe, as well as our natural beauty and water ways!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I for one am, and I have friends in PA that with the pipeline that is going through my hometown, is ending up down here, with the waste being dumped. Now, the waste is safe (so called) for human's. Therefore it has not direct impact on us, humans, the flip side to that, is , the same waste is not safe for aquatic life, and that has been proven. But, its really a matter of human vs aquatic. So, this is where we are. All I can say, is do like myself, and stay in touch with the Senators, Congressmen and Gov. Hogan. But as someone on this thread pointed out, this is small in comparison to the Nuclear cleanup waste that gets dumped.

Environmentally we as a State have managed to stop FRACKing, and we are still aware of cleaning and keeping the bay clean, but we can not lose the fight or drive, to keep our home area safe, as well as our natural beauty and water ways!

Are you one of the ones that climbed the crane?

Chris0nllyn

What "waste"? It's not clear.

As someone in that industry, I'm quite familiar with the stiff requirements imposed on ballast and bilge water discharges. And stiff they are, too, with huge fines for any violations.

From the CPCN summary:
The Liquefaction Project will enable Dominion Cove Point to liquefy natural gas and transfer the LNG to ships for export. During the transfer process, LNG ships will discharge ballast water to maintain a constant draft at berth. Ships calling at the LNG Terminal will implement a ballast water management program in compliance with U.S. Coast Guard regulations.

Without clarification, who knows what these people are talking about.

black dog

Free America

Please post some cites to back this up.

Chris0nllyn

Your link says:
Many questions remain during the implementation phase: how the revised Type Approval guidelines will be integrated into the retrofit timeline, how ship owners should choose a ballast water treatment system strategically to ensure compliance with the U.S. Coast Guard requirements (that have not yet type approved a ballast water treatment system), what changes will the IMO do to the Convention text besides the timeline changes already agreed to.

The U.S. regulations require all ships that discharge ballast water in U.S. waters to use a treatment system approved by the U.S. Coast Guard. However, because no systems have yet been approved, ships already required to comply with the U.S. regulations have either been granted extensions to the dates for fitting the required treatment systems or else permitted to install a U.S. Coast Guard accepted Alternate Management System (AMS), in practice a system type-approved in accordance with the current IMO Guidelines.

Is this saying USCG hasn't approved a ballast treatment system?

Pretty easy to comply with regulations of a treatment system if they don't have an approved system no? :lol:

EDIT: Assuming a ship has an AMS (approved by USCG), could they dump their ballast water at the pier?

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
Your link says:

Is this saying USCG hasn't approved a ballast treatment system?

Pretty easy to comply with regulations of a treatment system if they don't have an approved system no? :lol:

EDIT: Assuming a ship has an AMS (approved by USCG), could they dump their ballast water at the pier?

Yes, the USCG has approved some ballast water systems. I'm not going to go searching, but as I come across links about approved systems, I will post.