Stealing Culture

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4538398/Burrito-shop-shuts-accused-stealing-culture.html

For the first few months, the weekend pop-up shop housed in an taco truck was a smash hit. It gained so much popularity, a local weekly newspaper decided to profile the entrepreneurial duo.

But that's when the trouble started for Wilgus and Connelly, after quotes they gave to the Williamette Week led to them being accused of stealing their success.
[clip]
'They wouldn't tell us too much about technique, but we were peeking into the windows of every kitchen, totally fascinated by how easy they made it look. We learned quickly it isn't quite that easy.'

White women's burrito shop is forced to close after being hounded with accusations it was 'culturally appropriating Mexican food and jobs'
  • Kali Wilgus and Liz 'LC' Connelly opened Kooks Burritos in Portland, Oregon
  • The two friends did so after taking a trip to Puerto Nuevo, Mexico, last December
  • While there, they learned the basics by 'picking the brain of every tortilla lady'
  • 'They wouldn't tell us too much, but we were peeking into the windows of every kitchen, fascinated by how easy they made it look,' Connelly told a magazine
  • Many accused them of stealing by looking into the windows without permission

stealing.jpg

steasling 2.jpg

stealing 3.jpg

:twitch:

stgislander

PREMO Member
Oh dear Lord in heaven... when is it going to stop? It's crap like this that makes me wish for Toxic the Terrible.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
So then the other groups shouldn't be able to use things that whitey created like the light bulb, polio vaccine, telephone. etc. Well pretty much everything ever invented to improve one's life.

Hijinx

So then the other groups shouldn't be able to use things that whitey created like the light bulb, polio vaccine, telephone. etc. Well pretty much everything ever invented to improve one's life.

I don't know why they closed up, unless business fell off.
As for the statements of the a-wipes that they stole the recipes. I would have told them to get ####ed.

Ideas and things that work aren't the exclusive property of one person , one race or even one charity.
Haven't we all seen a Church or organization take another's idea and use it if they make money?

Have a food auction and make money, next month someone else does it.
Have a chicken drive thru. Next month someone else does it.
Breakfast with Santa?

Making money is not propriatory make a buck with a good idea, and the idea belongs to the world.

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I don't know why they closed up, unless business fell off.
As for the statements of the a-wipes that they stole the recipes. I would have told them to get ####ed.

Ideas and things that work aren't the exclusive property of one person , one race or even one charity.
Haven't we all seen a Church or organization take another's idea and use it if they make money?

Have a food auction and make money, next month someone else does it.
Have a chicken drive thru. Next month someone else does it.
Breakfast with Santa?

Making money is not propriatory make a buck with a good idea, and the idea belongs to the world.

This is especially true in the TV business. They can't come up with a show that isn't immediately copied. A couple of years ago the idea of a veterinarian having a show was improbable, now there's at least six different ones.

What am I gonna do with all my Hawaiian shirts??? i don't want to be accused of stealing their culture...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"Because of Portland’s underlying racism, the people who rightly own these traditions and cultures that exist are already treated poorly. These appropriating businesses are erasing and exploiting their already marginalized identities for the purpose of profit and praise," accused The Portland Mercury.

"People of color are nothing more than an afterthought when the white perpetrators of this tradition continue to do this on a regular basis. While Portland is supposedly a progressive place, super liberal white people usually only have other super white liberal people to answer to — which means this cycle of cultural appropriation will never end until people of color call attention to it," the piece continued.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16832...-business-owners-burrito-amanda-prestigiacomo

seems to me it is being sexist ....
running 2 successful women out of business ....

Toxick

Splat
Oh dear Lord in heaven... when is it going to stop? It's crap like this that makes me wish for Toxic the Terrible.

Under our reign, there will be but one (1) culture. It will be a melting-pot where everyone gets to contribute to the zeitgeist.
And anyone who uses the phrase "cultural appropriation" will have the edge of a sheet of heavy paper dragged across the webbing between each finger.

Before being drawn and quartered.

We envision a society where white women may cook and sell tacos. We envision a society where black folks can own and operate a Jewish deli. We envision a society where Koreans can freely run a fried chicken joint just as easily as Latinos cook and sell Goat Masala and Indians run a greasy spoon that specializes in hamburgers. (Feel free to mix and match the ethnicities with the cuisines as desired)

And the government doesn't #### with them. And doesn't allow snowflaky assclowns to #### with them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Under our reign, there will be but one (1) culture. It will be a melting-pot where everyone gets to contribute to the zeitgeist.
And anyone who uses the phrase "cultural appropriation" will have the edge of a sheet of heavy paper dragged across the webbing between each finger.

We envision a society where white women may cook and sell tacos. We envision a society where black folks can own and operate a Jewish deli. We envision a society where Koreans can freely run a fried chicken joint just as easily as Latinos cook and sell Goat Masala and Indians run a greasy spoon that specializes in hamburgers. (Feel free to mix and match the ethnicities with the cuisines as desired)

And the government doesn't #### with them. And doesn't allow snowflaky assclowns to #### with them.

And everyone lived happily ever after.

Amen.

"Toximus!!.... Toximus!!"

Wishbone

I'm in, but I do have a previously verbal commitment of support to Vrai in any quest for world domination, so if there is a power struggle... Sorry for your luck. :yay:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“Now that you all boldly and pretty ####ing unapologetically stole the basis of these women’s livelihoods, you can make their exact same product so other white ppl don’t have to be inconvenienced dealing with a pesky brown middle woman getting in their way,” wrote a woman in the interview’s comment section.

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/por...r-getting-hounded-for-cultural-appropriation/

:shrug:

pesky brown people living in Puerto Nuevo, Mexico ..... yeah they are competition for a business in Portland

Soon after the controversy, a list of white-owned “appropriative” businesses began circulating online, featuring some of Portland’s top restaurants. The list also suggested the nearest “PoC alternatives” to each white business.

Header on the spreadsheet ...

This is NOT about cooking at home or historical influences on cuisines; it's about profit, ownership, and wealth in a white supremacist culture.

White people are nearly 50% more likely than people of color (POC) to own a business in the state of Oregon. Ownership builds wealth in ways that employment does not. The racial wealth and small business lending gaps in the US are pronounced, which allows white folks to open new businesses more easily. These white-owned businesses hamper the ability for POC to run successful businesses of their own (cooking their own cuisines) by either consuming market share with their attempt at authenticity or by modifying foods to market to white palates. Their success further perpetuates the problems stated above. It's a cyclical pattern that will require intentional behavior change to break. If you've come here in anger, please read at least a couple of these articles before continuing to the list on the next tab below.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

You have my vote. Let me know how I can contribute to your campaign.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm in, but I do have a previously verbal commitment of support to Vrai in any quest for world domination, so if there is a power struggle... Sorry for your luck. :yay:

Thanks! But if someone else is able to lead, I'm happy to follow and work behind the scenes. As long as somebody does it, that's all I care about.