Polyamorous-Polysaturation on TV

Wishbone

It is growing tiresome when everyone in every show is in a mixed-race/lesbian/gay/transgender relationship.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Not just TV shows. Commercials are also featuring mixed race and homosexual couples more and more.

Let's be honest about the mixed race couples. Mixed white/black male and Asian female couples have been portrayed on TV for a long time. It's all the other combos that are new. I saw an Asian male and white female couple on a commercial the other day and thought, "Well that's new."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Gay and mixed race couples don't register with me. There was that Cheerios commercial a few years back with the mixed couple and I had to have someone explain to me what the hubbub was - I didn't really notice that they were of different races until it was specifically brought to my attention.

House of Cards is the only one of the shows mentioned that I've watched, and I saw the three-way with the security guy as more of a demonstration of just how creepy Underwood is (that was not just a three-way set up, it was seriously skeevy). That Frank and Claire have separate sex lives demonstrates that they are a political partnership, not a true loving marriage (as we saw clearly in later episodes).

By contrast, Mitch and Cam of Modern Family are one of the best TV couples in history and a good bit of their plotline revolves around them being gay. But they are freaking hilarious!! and I think even hetero couples can relate to them.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
From the thread title I thought this was going to be about an orgy involving Crisco.

SamSpade

Gay and mixed race couples don't register with me.

They usually don't with me either - and I get you with that commercial, I think the guy was missing part of his arm? And I thought, why is this "controversial"? I didn't notice.

But I swear just about every show I watch has a gay couple on it. And in real life, I know like, two. Now that Doctor Who is back on, he has a gay companion, and the show that follows it, a Who spin-off, the primary character is gay and has a boyfriend.

It doesn't so much bother me as it feels like political correctness.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It doesn't so much bother me as it feels like political correctness.

Like pandering. But honestly, the way people are these days you have to have everyone represented or they'll bitch. There was some controversy about Dove shower soap, which thought their bottle should represent a multitude of female figures, catching hell for "body shaming" and "where's my body shape??"

I'm not making that up.

I'm sure TV producers have a checklist.

Gay person? Check
Black? Check
Transperson? Check
Fat chick? Check
Latino? Check

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
only have

Americans of African decent [mixed ancestry w/Asians]