Local source for EPDM/rubber roofing?

Chris0nllyn

What are you going to use this on (obviously a roof)? I was thinking about this the other day for my shop.

I'm rebuilding a deck built over a portion of my basement.

The previous owners fubar'd it. Didn't flash it correctly, didn't install the sleepers correctly, etc. and now the boards are rotted to the point where it's a liability.

I wouldn't be opposed to an online source either. Grainger has it, but it's stupid expensive.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm rebuilding a deck built over a portion of my basement.

The previous owners fubar'd it. Didn't flash it correctly, didn't install the sleepers correctly, etc. and now the boards are rotted to the point where it's a liability.

I wouldn't be opposed to an online source either. Grainger has it, but it's stupid expensive.

Would the StormGuard membrane be an option?...or you really need the heavier stuff?

My brother-the-builder deals with The Roof Center...they have locations scattered all over. I think they bought out the areas Washington Roof company that he dealt with earlier.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
I believe the roof Center in LaPlata sells rubber roofing along with the other membrane roofing.
I bought a piece of rubber pond lining from Aquarius supply in Millersville for a loafing shed roof years ago. And the aluminum flat stock from Posner's on Airport View Rd.

Chris0nllyn

Would the StormGuard membrane be an option?...or you really need the heavier stuff?

My brother-the-builder deals with The Roof Center...they have locations scattered all over. I think they bought out the areas Washington Roof company that he dealt with earlier.

I don't need the heavy stuff. 40-60mil would be fine. Essentially a heavy pond liner.

The rubber that's currently installed is probably 1/8" thick and seems to be a pain to work with.

I found a kit online (EPDM, glue, seam tape, caulk, etc.) for $500. I'm sure shipping from MO isn't cheap though.

I believe the roof Center in LaPlata sells rubber roofing along with the other membrane roofing.
I bought a piece of rubber pond lining from Aquarius supply in Millersville for a loafing shed roof years ago. And the aluminum flat stock from Posner's on Airport View Rd.

I'll take a look at the Roof Center. Thanks.

Chris0nllyn

Does the Roof Center sell to the public? Looks like they are a distributor and requires a credit app and/or contractor's license?

black dog

Free America
That's about the thickness I used, my brother helped me. What we worked with was about 14' x 25' and when new it was very flexible and pretty easy for two guys that never have worked with it before. I did buy one piece so no seaming.. and it was Fing heavy.
I would assume that with age it gets stiff.

black dog

Free America
I bought shingles from them and they delivered and set them on the roof for me when I built my shop in Mechanicsville.

steppinthrax

I'm trying to picture this, you have a deck over your basement roof? Or a deck to the outside connected to your basement wall?

Chris0nllyn

I'm trying to picture this, you have a deck over your basement roof? Or a deck to the outside connected to your basement wall?

Over the basement roof.

An addition was built years ago to the house. A deck was built over a portion of the basement that was added.

DEEKAYPEE8569

One is supposed to be able to seal a boat made of screen wire. Why not get a couple; 3-4; 5-gallon buckets of that Flex Seal stuff and a couple paint rollers and seal up the roof; then lay down shingles? Don't have to use felt or membrane before putting shingles down.....unless you want to also do that after applying Flex Seal. :shrug: added insurance IMO.....

Chris0nllyn

One is supposed to be able to seal a boat made of screen wire. Why not get a couple; 3-4; 5-gallon buckets of that Flex Seal stuff and a couple paint rollers and seal up the roof; then lay down shingles? Don't have to use felt or membrane before putting shingles down.....unless you want to also do that after applying Flex Seal. :shrug: added insurance IMO.....

EPDM roofing materials typically have a 20 year warranty. Not sure about Flex Seal's warranty. Though I wonder if I can call now and get 2 for the price of one (S&H seperate).

Seriously though, no. I don't need any felt or membrane now as the rubber is glued to the subfloor anyway. Shingles woudn't be needed, nor useful simply because there's no roof slope (well, very little) and the deck sleeper boards need to sit on the roof.

I want this done right, as the last owner didn't. EPDM on flat roofs has been around for some time and I simply don't trust that flex seal stuff and prefer not to have to tear off the deck in a year or two.