Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Thinking A Net Loss .........

I'm Thinking A Net Loss .........

Portland Now Generates Electricity From Turbines Installed In City Water Pipes

Portland has replaced a section of its existing water supply network with Lucid Energy pipes containing four forty-two inch turbines. As water flows through the pipes, the turbines spin and power attached generators, which then feed energy back into the city’s electrical grid. Known as the “Conduit 3 Hydroelectric Project,” Portland’s new clean energy source is scheduled to be up and running at full capacity in March. According to a Lucid Energy FAQ detailing the partnership, this will be the “first project in the U.S. to secure a 20-year Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) for renewable energy produced by in-pipe hydropower in a municipal water pipeline."

from having to now push the water past the turbines .......
    [increase in electrical draw of the pumps]
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Often times it's pumped up, and gravity back down. Putting it on the down side just makes up for some of the energy used to pump it up. Lucid (the comapny that designed the turbine) says its for gravity systems.

This assumes no loss of head by restricting the down side of the pipe.
    Last edited by Chris0nllyn; 05-25-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    This assumes no loss of head by restricting the down side of the pipe.

anything in the pipe is going to be a restriction and cause a loss of flow rate or pressure ....

IMHO yet another stab a perpetual motion

Ethanol - yeah we got that covered [except for the electricity required to make all that alcohol] Oh not to forget the WATER Required
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Blog Entries
    Once fully operational, the installation is expected to generate $2,000,000 worth of renewable energy capacity over twenty years, based on “an average of 1,100 megawatt hours of energy per year, enough electricity to power up to 150 homes."
    Slow. Clap. What a bunch of noise over something so insignificant..yet so expensive too. Roughly twice the power capacity of the generators I maintain out at the island I run.

It does say that the turbines are to be installed in sections of the pipe where the grade is downhill..so no "penalty" there.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

anything in the pipe is going to be a restriction and cause a loss of flow rate or pressure ....

IMHO yet another stab a perpetual motion

Ethanol - yeah we got that covered [except for the electricity required to make all that alcohol] Oh not to forget the WATER Required
    20psi pressure loss in the (4) turbine setup in a 42" pipe. On the flip side, less pressure/wear on the PRV in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Slow. Clap. What a bunch of noise over something so insignificant..yet so expensive too. Roughly twice the power capacity of the generators I maintain out at the island I run.

It does say that the turbines are to be installed in sections of the pipe where the grade is downhill..so no "penalty" there.
    $1.7 million paid by private investors. At least it's not taxpayer dollars.

The issue I have is the need for such a massive vault. The turbines need 4 pipe diameters seperating them. In the case in Portland, a 14' x 50' vault is needed to house everything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    $1.7 million paid by private investors. At least it's not taxpayer dollars.
    There is that. Let 'em have their science-project fun. It costs me between 8-10 grand a year to maintain and operate a 70 kw diesel generator installation off shore. So, $200,000.00 over 20 years. I'd gladly take half of the 1.7 million investor bucks (half because the power capacity is half) in exchange. ;-)
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    To some extent, if they weren't gravity..

Hardest part of a turbine like that is getting it to start spinning... that could take a lot of energy, but it takes a fraction of that energy to keep them spinning. Secret would be to always have a demand to keep the water moving through the turbines keeping the stopping and starting to a minimum..

I think it makes a huge amount of sense.. an energy source that we've left untapped.. that MUST be expended.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post

Doesn't sound like much of a turbine if it's a 40 inch pipe..

Sounds more like a couple of rotating paddles.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Fair Enough ......
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

Members who have read this thread: 43