Is this how US soldiers will be flying into battle?

hitchicken

This is nothing new.

The Hiller Platform from the 50s. It was cancelled because it was too unstable to shoot from and made the soldier using it an easy target for enemy skeet shooters.:jet:

Attachments

• hiller_platform2.jpg
    hiller_platform2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 262

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That and the jet suit that Swiss dude flies around in..er..on..whatever.

Have to say, the flying suit, and the wings (with or without jetpack) would be a great addition to our HALO jumpers..

Imagine leaving an airplane 5 miles (or more) outside of their radar coverage and landing 5 miles or more inside their lines.. There are some radars out there that can pick up birds at fairly close range but they are VERY tailored to that mission and that mission alone, and very limited as to coverage area. Now trying to pick up a human target.. possible? Yes.. Costly? Yes.. AND your radar would have to be pointed at the right spot in the sky at the right time.

hitchicken

Have to say, the flying suit, and the wings (with or without jetpack) would be a great addition to our HALO jumpers..

Imagine leaving an airplane 5 miles (or more) outside of their radar coverage and landing 5 miles or more inside their lines.. There are some radars out there that can pick up birds at fairly close range but they are VERY tailored to that mission and that mission alone, and very limited as to coverage area. Now trying to pick up a human target.. possible? Yes.. Costly? Yes.. AND your radar would have to be pointed at the right spot in the sky at the right time.

The enemy would use wind turbine generators and chop them to tiny bits... like defenseless eagles.:evil:

Hijinx

I have seen this thing in video's several times.
They are always over water. I suppose for a soft landing should something go wrong.

SamSpade

I still can't see a practical use in warfare to move PEOPLE like that. Seems to me that it's an expensive way to make a person more vulnerable.
So far, everything a flying human can do, a drone can do better.