Freedom Of Speech .... Chinese Style

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
China Unleashes Witch Hunt Against Maryland Student Who Praised ‘Fresh Air of Free Speech’ in US

“I have learned [that] the right to freely express oneself is sacred in America … I could even rate my professors online,” she said. “My voice matters. Your voice matters. Our voices matter.”

“Freedom is oxygen. Freedom is passion. Freedom is love. As the French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre once said: ‘Freedom is a choice’.”

[clip]

“She has demonized China with the nonsense she has talked,” one person wrote, joining many others who thought she denigrated China. “She has an incredible ability to lick feet. Don’t worry about coming back to China. Our motherland doesn’t need a bitch like this,” seconded another person.

[clip]

The controversy was fueled after other party-controlled newspapers piled on, slamming the student. The Global Times, a state-controlled nationalist paper, quoted an anonymous student who said that publicly criticizing China’s free speech laws was “immature and mean” and accused Yang of spreading “radical opinions”.

The People’s Daily, another newspaper run by the Communist Party, accused the student of “bolstering negative Chinese stereotypes”.