It's amazing how much we are controlled...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...by our media, which defines our pop culture. Fashion trends, makeup trends, what we eat, how we vote, what we think about social issues, where we vacation.

Any of those aspects of our lives, some media source told us to do what we do. Why is foie gras and caviar a delicacy? Because some food person decided it should be and we fell in line. Arctic Char, Tilapia, Blackened Redfish...somebody decided those should be a thing, the media picked it up and told us we should eat it, and everyone did.

Bellbottoms, skinny jeans, flares, bootcut....some fashion person laid down the law, and the media told us that that's how we had to dress.

Winged eyeliner. Hello?

And don't say, "Oh, I wear what's comfortable and what I like," because chances are you don't really. You wear what "they've" decided is in style.

The Kardashians became a thing for no reason other than that the news and TV people told us they were. Without that buzz, nobody would even know their names.

Watch this show.
Wear this thing.
Vote for this person.
Support this cause.
Eat this food.
Respect this person.
Listen to this band.

It's fascinating how fake our lives are.

Last edited:

philibusters

If you take "media" in a broad sense to mean "the main means of mass communication (broadcasting, publishing, and the Internet), regarded collectively" then the media has a significant role influencing us since the rise of agriculture and empires thousands of years ago. The technology underlying the media has changed, but its influence hasn't. 1600 years ago, the media may have consisted of Christian preachers, bibles, and icons. Now it consists of television, internet, and print magazine.

You'd have to go back 10,000 to 12,000 years to our hunter-gatherer forager days to find a time when the media did not have a significant influence on us (at which time we lived in small bands and outside bands of humans had only a small effect on us).

However I do see your point, new technology has amplified the power of the media. The media has always told us what to do, but before new technology they microphone was only so big. Now they can even reach inside people's home.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It is because people are lazy and vain. Where people, used to make their own clothes, grow and cook their own food. I think, innately in us, regardless of rational thought, there lies the desire, to be that most awesome looking peacock. Those instincts have been capitalized upon. To be the best, to have the best, to do the best, to attract the best. And even when making ones own cloths, there was always that one dress, or outfit, that was ostentatious that said, "Here I am , look at me". It is who we are. It's not a flaw.

tommyjo

...by our media, which defines our pop culture. Fashion trends, makeup trends, what we eat, how we vote, what we think about social issues, where we vacation.

Any of those aspects of our lives, some media source told us to do what we do. Why is foie gras and caviar a delicacy? Because some food person decided it should be and we fell in line. Arctic Char, Tilapia, Blackened Redfish...somebody decided those should be a thing, the media picked it up and told us we should eat it, and everyone did.

Bellbottoms, skinny jeans, flares, bootcut....some fashion person laid down the law, and the media told us that that's how we had to dress.

Winged eyeliner. Hello?

And don't say, "Oh, I wear what's comfortable and what I like," because chances are you don't really. You wear what "they've" decided is in style.

The Kardashians became a thing for no reason other than that the news and TV people told us they were. Without that buzz, nobody would even know their names.

Watch this show.
Wear this thing.
Vote for this person.
Support this cause.
Eat this food.
Respect this person.
Listen to this band.

It's fascinating how fake our lives are.

Those are all excuses for chowderheads like yourself.

You make some really stupid comments... and this is right up there among the dumbest.

You confuse marketing with media...peer pressure with taste buds...

What's really fascinating is that you've been on here so many times proclaiming your "media" experience and, just like Gilligan and climate, you don't understand the meanings of the most basic words used in the industry.

Hijinx

Those are all excuses for chowderheads like yourself.

You make some really stupid comments... and this is right up there among the dumbest.

You confuse marketing with media...peer pressure with taste buds...

What's really fascinating is that you've been on here so many times proclaiming your "media" experience and, just like Gilligan and climate, you don't understand the meanings of the most basic words used in the industry.

I dunno TJ, but the liberal media sure has you by the short hairs.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I dunno TJ, but the liberal media sure has you by the short hairs.

Tommyjo is the forum resident of Hillary. They ignore what is really happening, and just keep spinning their agenda, and think they can brain wash US all. I turned down the free lobotomy.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
People do have choices to accept or reject what they are allegedly told to do. No one to blame for our own idiocy. If you want to be a lemming in the herd, go for it.