Anyone with kids at Gywnn Educational Center in Charles County?

DCWriterGirl

My kid's current school is recommending he go there after having a horrible year this year (he has high functioning autism and the school is not able to manage). I'm desperately trying to find out information about the Center and its programs but the school, admin, etc. claim to have no information on the programs. I would appreciate any personal experiences anyone has with the center. Also, if you have a recommendation for an advocate or an educational lawyer, please pass them my way. Thank you.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
My kid's current school is recommending he go there after having a horrible year this year (he has high functioning autism and the school is not able to manage). I'm desperately trying to find out information about the Center and its programs but the school, admin, etc. claim to have no information on the programs. I would appreciate any personal experiences anyone has with the center. Also, if you have a recommendation for an advocate or an educational lawyer, please pass them my way. Thank you.

I don't have children in school any longer, but I advocated for years when he was in school (and still do!) for my son, who is now 26, and has a developmental disability.

Here is a link to the F.B. Gywnn Educational Center: http://www.ccboe.com/schools/gwynn/

I don't understand how the school can recommend your son go there, without having given you information on the school. Does your son have an IEP? If he does, then the IEP TEAM makes decisions for the child based on many different criteria, and the parent is an integral (most important) part of that team. How old is your child? FB Gywnn has 4 different programs, according to its website. I'm going to guess and say your child falls into either the 3rd or 4th program.

There is a parent center associated with the Charles County Public School System and you can reach them here: http://www.ccboe.com/schools/gwynn/parent-center/
The Charles County Parent Center is a resource center for families with children with disabilities supported by the Maryland State Department of Education. The main purpose of the center is to provide the skills, resources, and knowledge that will enable families of children and youth with disabilities and professionals to partner in the educational decision-making process. In addition, the Parent Center provides information, materials, lending library, computer internet access, and support in the community.

I would definitely give the Parent Center a call FIRST. They are there to help you.

DCWriterGirl

I don't have children in school any longer, but I advocated for years when he was in school (and still do!) for my son, who is now 26, and has a developmental disability.

Here is a link to the F.B. Gywnn Educational Center: http://www.ccboe.com/schools/gwynn/

I don't understand how the school can recommend your son go there, without having given you information on the school. Does your son have an IEP? If he does, then the IEP TEAM makes decisions for the child based on many different criteria, and the parent is an integral (most important) part of that team. How old is your child? FB Gywnn has 4 different programs, according to its website. I'm going to guess and say your child falls into either the 3rd or 4th program.

There is a parent center associated with the Charles County Public School System and you can reach them here: http://www.ccboe.com/schools/gwynn/parent-center/

I would definitely give the Parent Center a call FIRST. They are there to help you.

Thanks, I'm calling Parent Center tomorrow. He does have an IEP and is struggling in his current school.

Bann

PREMO Member
Thanks, I'm calling Parent Center tomorrow. He does have an IEP and is struggling in his current school.

Yes, please call them ASAP tomorrow. You need some help with this. Just because he is struggling in his current school/grade, doesn't mean the FB Gwynn Center is (or isn't) the best for him. However, with an IEP, the other members of your child's IEP Team should be presenting information to you about their recommedations for him to go to FB Gwynn. I'm not saying they cannot change his placement without you, but I would strongly object to it unless there is a process by which this decision is mutually agreed to and reached.

At the end of the school year, things can happen which you may not realize until it's too late, so make sure you stay on top of it. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

twobit

Is your son currently enrolled in Charles County?

black dog

Free America
Yes, please call them ASAP tomorrow. You need some help with this. Just because he is struggling in his current school/grade, doesn't mean the FB Gwynn Center is (or isn't) the best for him. However, with an IEP, the other members of your child's IEP Team should be presenting information to you about their recommedations for him to go to FB Gwynn. I'm not saying they cannot change his placement without you, but I would strongly object to it unless there is a process by which this decision is mutually agreed to and reached.

At the end of the school year, things can happen which you may not realize until it's too late, so make sure you stay on top of it. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I'm trying to understand something here, why when there is a behavioral problem that certainly affects the staff and the students ability to work and learn in a good atmosphere and there is a school that has the ability to handle students with this disability would it be a bad thing for the child to go there?
And I'm not being a dick,, I'm just trying to understand.....
Arn't the other students allowed to learn in a classroom without constant outburst?

With what I read this school has programs just for this,,,,,,

Other programs/resources located at Gwynn are:

The STAY Program – This program offers positive behavioral and academic support for special and general education students who have not responded to traditional behavioral interventions are require more intensive behavioral support. Additionally, academic instruction is provided to ensure that students are meeting the requirements of the Charles County Public Schools Essential Curriculum. Students are referred to the STAY program through the SST process, and their progress in the program is monitored and reviewed on a regular basis. Once the data indicate that a student is ready to transition back into his/her school, transition meetings and plans are put into place and the student returns his/her school.

Autism Program – The Autism Program encompasses identification, assessment and program planning for students who are suspected of falling within the autism spectrum. The Multiple Intensity Teaching (MIT) classrooms are located at the Gwynn Center and consist of behavioral, social and academic instruction. These students also receive speech services, occupational services and physical therapy services as indicated by the IEP. The goal of the program is to assist students in developing the behavior/social and academic skills needed to transition into the general education setting successfully.

Bann

PREMO Member
I'm trying to understand something here, why when there is a behavioral problem that certainly affects the staff and the students ability to work and learn in a good atmosphere and there is a school that has the ability to handle students with this disability would it be a bad thing for the child to go there?
Arn't the other students allowed to learn in a classroom without constant outburst?

With what I read this school has programs just for this,,,,,,

Other programs/resources located at Gwynn are:

The STAY Program – This program offers positive behavioral and academic support for special and general education students who have not responded to traditional behavioral interventions are require more intensive behavioral support. Additionally, academic instruction is provided to ensure that students are meeting the requirements of the Charles County Public Schools Essential Curriculum. Students are referred to the STAY program through the SST process, and their progress in the program is monitored and reviewed on a regular basis. Once the data indicate that a student is ready to transition back into his/her school, transition meetings and plans are put into place and the student returns his/her school.

Autism Program – The Autism Program encompasses identification, assessment and program planning for students who are suspected of falling within the autism spectrum. The Multiple Intensity Teaching (MIT) classrooms are located at the Gwynn Center and consist of behavioral, social and academic instruction. These students also receive speech services, occupational services and physical therapy services as indicated by the IEP. The goal of the program is to assist students in developing the behavior/social and academic skills needed to transition into the general education setting successfully.

I checked out the programs offered at the Gwynn Center when I provided the links to the OP. I know nothing more than the parent posted here, and to be fair, I don't even know that what they posted accurately reflects what is going on. (It's the internet, I have no firsthand knowledge of the poster.)

I am NOT even saying it is or isn't a good idea to change the placement of this child. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. That is something the IEP TEAM needs to decide. There really is a lot that goes into that decision, and if the parent is not being included, much less consulted, (again, I have no way to verify their post) then they need help. As a parent of a former Special Education student, I *can offer information to another parent in order to get help with their advocacy needs, which I did.

The question of whether or not that particular child would benefit from another placement or even placement at the Gywnn Center is an entirely different topic.

Just because one person thinks one way about a situation involving a SpEd student doesn't necessarily mean that their opinion is the best solution. Opinions and recommendations need to be backed up with professional data. The student has a right, under Federal Law, to be educated in the "Least Restrictive Environment" possible to provide the services that student needs. I have no idea whether the LRE for this student is the FB Gywnn center.

black dog

Free America
Ok..I get what you are saying, it's a fine line with all childrens education I'm sure.
But also there are reasons optional schools with special classrooms have been built.
.My kids graduation is tomorrow night, so I really don't have a dog in this fight.
.I would believe that with having a constant outburst student the Gwynn Center would be the place to go..

DCWriterGirl

I checked out the programs offered at the Gwynn Center when I provided the links to the OP. I know nothing more than the parent posted here, and to be fair, I don't even know that what they posted accurately reflects what is going on. (It's the internet, I have no firsthand knowledge of the poster.)

I am NOT even saying it is or isn't a good idea to change the placement of this child. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. That is something the IEP TEAM needs to decide. There really is a lot that goes into that decision, and if the parent is not being included, much less consulted, (again, I have no way to verify their post) then they need help. As a parent of a former Special Education student, I *can offer information to another parent in order to get help with their advocacy needs, which I did.

The question of whether or not that particular child would benefit from another placement or even placement at the Gywnn Center is an entirely different topic.

Just because one person thinks one way about a situation involving a SpEd student doesn't necessarily mean that their opinion is the best solution. Opinions and recommendations need to be backed up with professional data. The student has a right, under Federal Law, to be educated in the "Least Restrictive Environment" possible to provide the services that student needs. I have no idea whether the LRE for this student is the FB Gywnn center.

Hi, I'm the OP. I am trying to be as broad as I can be since this is a public forum.
I appreciate your thoughts and information for both myself and other posters on LRE. I think people who are not directly involved in SPED don't fully understand these decisions.

I don't want to go into much more detail, but we did end up hiring an advocate this morning. I have yet to hear back from the Parent Center, and school is pushing us to get these meetings done. Thank you for your help.

DCWriterGirl

go visit the Gwynn Center

Hi, thanks for this novel idea. It doesn't quite work that way, for any school, not just the Gwynn Center. I had a friend ask about observing the school her children are being redistricted to in 2018, and she was told "nope, we don't allow that during the school year." So, its not as easy as it sounds.

Bann

PREMO Member
Hi, I'm the OP. I am trying to be as broad as I can be since this is a public forum.
I appreciate your thoughts and information for both myself and other posters on LRE. I think people who are not directly involved in SPED don't fully understand these decisions.

I don't want to go into much more detail, but we did end up hiring an advocate this morning. I have yet to hear back from the Parent Center, and school is pushing us to get these meetings done. Thank you for your help.

You're very welcome. :yay:

I totally understand your being broad and not going into detail since it is a public forum. I was trying to convey to Blackdog that my giving out information to help someone is not the same as making a judgment call or even giving my opinion on any placement. Some posters (not saying he was thinking this) like to try and pigeon hole someone who is offering information, so I tend to make disclaimers when I post information like I did.

I wouldn't want you to go into a lot of detail, because you will get more opinions than you could probably handle and that's NOT what you asked for. You asked for information and help in finding it. I'm sorry the Parent Center didn't get back to you, but I'm glad you were able to hire an advocate. The schools can be pushy, and you don't need to be railroaded into decisions.

I've been where you are. (so to speak) Navigating the SpEd waters can be aggravating and confusing sometimes. Feel free to PM me if you ever need any additional information and don't want to post it publicly. Good luck to you!!

Bann

PREMO Member
Ok..I get what you are saying, it's a fine line with all childrens education I'm sure.
But also there are reasons optional schools with special classrooms have been built.
.My kids graduation is tomorrow night, so I really don't have a dog in this fight.
.I would believe that with having a constant outburst student the Gwynn Center would be the place to go..

Again, with all due respect, it all depends on what the "Least Restrictive Environment" is for that student. Yes, of course, ALL students in a "general education" class have the right to be educated without having constant interruptions, or outbursts possibly creating issues with safety or other issues that cause a classroom to be disrupted. This includes general education and SpEd students.

However, you can't just "send a student" to the Gwynn Center because of "X, Y, or Z". We don't just "send kids to a center" because they are "insert the situation/problem here".

There is a team which meets to create an "Individual Education Plan" (IEP) for each student who requires one. (Again, meeting criteria set out by the Federal IDEA laws) Perhaps it will be decided that the Gwynn Center's programs WILL be better for this student - and if so, that's great. However, teachers can't just push for something and try to railroad a parent into making that choice without due process. There are safeguards and procedures in place with the State of MD in this regard, which are in accordance with the Federal laws and they do need to follow them.

BernieP

Resident PIA

In your first post you assume the child, any child with a special education need is a discipline problem.
A lot of "syndromes" or disabilities have a wide range. You don't want to place a child in a situation that is contra-indicated for their problem. I learned a hard lesson - WE - learned a hard lesson about mixing children with different types of disabilities. The result is almost chaos. After a summer of working the program, a dear friend who was a nationally recognized expert in the field told me just that. This was 30 years ago and not much has changed.

black dog

Free America

In your first post you assume the child, any child with a special education need is a discipline problem.
A lot of "syndromes" or disabilities have a wide range. You don't want to place a child in a situation that is contra-indicated for their problem. I learned a hard lesson - WE - learned a hard lesson about mixing children with different types of disabilities. The result is almost chaos. After a summer of working the program, a dear friend who was a nationally recognized expert in the field told me just that. This was 30 years ago and not much has changed.

No Bernie don't be a ass, I was talking about the OP's child, don't turn this into something that it's not. I never once said that every special needs child is a disciplinary problem.
I was simply asking a few questions for my own benefit..

Bann

PREMO Member
No Bernie don't be a ass, I was talking about the OP's child, don't turn this into something that it's not. I never once said that every special needs child is a disciplinary problem.

The OP said that their child has "high functioning autism and the SCHOOL IS NOT ABLE TO MANAGE".

That doesn't necessarily mean the child is the problem. It means the school is not able to manage. Why? Are the proper supports in place on the IEP? Are the teachers trained in those supports/techniques? Are the teachers following the IEP? There are all sorts of reasons a school is not able to manage.

In one of your first posts, you seemed to think the Gywnn center would be appropriate for a child with constant outbursts. The OP never said their child had constant outbursts. :shrug:

And, even if the child did, it doesn't mean the Gywnn Center is the proper placement.

lmor

Hi, thanks for this novel idea. It doesn't quite work that way, for any school, not just the Gwynn Center. I had a friend ask about observing the school her children are being redistricted to in 2018, and she was told "nope, we don't allow that during the school year." So, its not as easy as it sounds.

I find it interesting that Charles County does not permit school tours during the school year for parents especially when children are recommended for a placement outside of their home school.After all you are not just a curious outsider. I know firsthand that Montgomery County does. Also anyone who wants to sit down with the principal of a school whether a parent or community member to discuss a school related issue is welcome. It is a public school.
An advocate who specializes in special education can be very helpful not only in navigating the system but in determining that the IEP accommodations have been followed, if perhaps the child needs different or additional accommodations, and will have information about Gwynn. I wonder if you have had your child tested and evaluated by a private consultant outside of school. Private testing and consultation can be expensive but it is very beneficial to have your own very detailed report from a consultant when dealing with the school system. It will also provide you with lots of information and clarity.
I wish you the best of luck.

black dog

Free America
The OP said that their child has "high functioning autism and the SCHOOL IS NOT ABLE TO MANAGE".

That doesn't necessarily mean the child is the problem. It means the school is not able to manage. Why? Are the proper supports in place on the IEP? Are the teachers trained in those supports/techniques? Are the teachers following the IEP? There are all sorts of reasons a school is not able to manage.

In one of your first posts, you seemed to think the Gywnn center would be appropriate for a child with constant outbursts. The OP never said their child had constant outbursts. :shrug:

And, even if the child did, it doesn't mean the Gywnn Center is the proper placement.

Can you show me in any of my posts in this thread where I said " The OP's Child "
I asked some questions that certainly others would ask.

And please explain why the county would build and staff a school for Special Needs Childred and that's not what what would be best for the Special Needs Student and the other kids trying to get a education without being constantly held up.

BernieP

Resident PIA

That certainly looks like the presumption that all children with special needs are a behavioral problem.
Again, just because they have a learning disability doesn't mean the child has a behavioral problem OR an academic problem.
I know one you person who was marginally an honor roll student and was seeing the doctor for another reason. The doctor assessed the student for AD/HD or ADD (whatever).
Turns out the student did have a problem - diagnosed with ADD. Medication and certain accommodations improved those honor roll grades.
On the other hand, you can have absolutely "normal" children who just don't care about school.
They kids will disrupt class. They too will be classified and warehoused as special needs. They in turn will disrupt the class for the younger children.