In remembrance of Memorial Day....

littlelady

God bless the USA
I just posted this in the 'about time' thread. I realized no one has started a thread about Memorial Day. So, I did. Thank you to all that have served. Your patriotism is beyond reproach. So sad for the military that have lost their lives for a multitude of reasons. :patriot: God bless, America.

In remembrance of Pamela Dowling USMC. She is one of the 22 military that commit suicide everyday from PTSD. My hub has been running for those lost like that for a while. He carries their pic on his shirt, and then sends the family a letter with the award for the race. He ran for Pamela this weekend. So many Americans have died trying to defend US. I hope it was worth the lives lost. Happy Memorial Day, y'all. And, I say that to the stupids on this forum, too.
:patriot: Here are Pamela's links:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=pamela+dowling+usmc&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTTR&conversationid=

Also, hub runs with our house American flag every Memorial day. He will be doing that tomorrow. He always gets great feed back from motorists, and people on the street. And, I know y'all know hub is a Marine. God bless, America, Pamela, and all the others that have died in so many ways to defend US. :patriot:

Last edited:

Hijinx

I just posted this in the 'about time' thread. I realized no one has started a thread about Memorial Day. So, I did. Thank you to all that have served. Your patriotism is beyond reproach. So sad for the military that have lost their lives for a multitude of reasons. :patriot: God bless, America.

In remembrance of Pamela Dowling USMC. She is one of the 22 military that commit suicide everyday from PTSD. My hub has been running for those lost like that for a while. He carries their pic on his shirt, and then sends the family a letter with the award for the race. He ran for Pamela this weekend. So many Americans have died trying to defend US. I hope it was worth the lives lost. Happy Memorial Day, y'all. And, I say that to the stupids on this forum, too.
:patriot: Here are Pamela's links:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=pamela+dowling+usmc&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTTR&conversationid=

Also, hub runs with our house American flag every Memorial day. He will be doing that tomorrow. He always gets great feed back from motorists, and people on the street. And, I know y'all know hub is a Marine. God bless, America, Pamela, and all the others that have died in so many ways to defend US. :patriot:

Indeed: God Bles the Veterans who have sacrificed so much to keep America free.
All gave some, some gave all.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I was just looking at Pamela's pic on my hub's desk, as he is assembling what he will be sending to her family. I want to know why when Americans are so willing to put their lives on the line to defend America, and, then come home and commit suicide (22/day). There is something going on, and so wrong with that. Take care of our veterans you dumb#### government. Rest in peace, Pamela, beautiful girl. So, sad.

Side story. For the last five years, hub (his running and all) makes a run taking our full size American flag with him on patriotic holidays. In Calvert, he got tons of feed back; thumbs up, honking, do you need a ride, etc. In Montgomery County not much at all. Nada, 不, لا, nein, aucune, nej, etc, etc. etc.

And, I have posted this before. Why, at my local McD's, is there a line inside for patrons that don't speak Spanish, and there is an interpreter to take the orders. What a bunch of shiat! I cannot stand seeing in the news that Hillary wants to run again in 2020. We will be doomed. If not Hillary, the Dems will find some other power hungry lamebrain to run. God bless, America.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Memorial Day has become a day of rote. And, just another day of profit. I do not, did not, participate. All in government gather in their respective courthouse yards, or memorials, and pontificate over the "sacrifices" made, yet still do nothing to end it. Those somdjeepers, though supposedly out to honor the fallen, seem only to bring awareness to themselves, as do many other groups. (Look at us!! Look at us!! We're somber and sympathetic this Memorial Day. Their mantra) Many mount that blasphemous, irreverent, and disrespectful abomination of the American flag with that blue line which only further divides. While those that have actually been to war, or those that lost someone in war, truly know and understand what Memorial Day represents, all others have no clue, or care, other than what is 50% off. Until the masses have to "sacrifice" and suffer themselves, Memorial Day will continue to be a day of rote.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
With all due respect to those who want to pay respects and honor those serving in the military - Memorial Day is a day to honor those who died while in service to their country. Armed Forces Day is a day to honor those currently serving and Veterans Day is a day to honor those who who served in the past.

I understand why some think it has become commercial - but it's a day off - a recognized US Holiday. That's what the US does - we barbeque on days off, we go away for the weekend, we go to sales. Of course, businesses will offer sales. People are available! I have no problem with all of that.

I do have a problem with smooshing all 3 of these holidays into one. Memorial Day is to honor those who died in service to their country. Having been a military dependent for over half of my life, thankfully, I only knew a couple of servicepeople who died while serving in the military personally. It's an excruciating pain. I still remember the death of a man in my father's squadron when I was about 12 years old. The entire process of that military funeral service from start to finish is etched in my memory forever.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's my Dad's day. He lies in Arlington. By some weird twist of fate, I was born on Memorial Day and he was killed on deployment about 6 weeks later.

Hijinx

If I may ...

Memorial Day has become a day of rote. And, just another day of profit. I do not, did not, participate. All in government gather in their respective courthouse yards, or memorials, and pontificate over the "sacrifices" made, yet still do nothing to end it. Those somdjeepers, though supposedly out to honor the fallen, seem only to bring awareness to themselves, as do many other groups. (Look at us!! Look at us!! We're somber and sympathetic this Memorial Day. Their mantra) Many mount that blasphemous, irreverent, and disrespectful abomination of the American flag with that blue line which only further divides. While those that have actually been to war, or those that lost someone in war, truly know and understand what Memorial Day represents, all others have no clue, or care, other than what is 50% off. Until the masses have to "sacrifice" and suffer themselves, Memorial Day will continue to be a day of rote.

Not totally wrong, but a bit overly cynical.
Memorial Day is considered by far too many as the beginning of the Summer Vacation Season. That part is true.
But others place flags on the graves of veterans and participate in memorial services and go home and have dinner with their kids and Thank God for the Blessing the sacrifice of these fallen men have given them.
Maybe not enough.

To me it's a good weekend to do the things I stated and observe a service then stay home and avoid the crowds you so cynically point out as a majority.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Not totally wrong, but a bit overly cynical. Memorial Day is considered by far too many as the beginning of the Summer Vacation Season. That part is true. But others place flags on the graves of veterans and participate in memorial services and go home and have dinner with their kids and Thank God for the Blessing the sacrifice of these fallen men have given them. Maybe not enough. To me it's a good weekend to do the things I stated and observe a service then stay home and avoid the crowds you so cynically point out as a majority.

Maybe a bit cynical. Maybe a bit jaded. Maybe a bit apathetic over the constant faux hoorah. It's not that I don't like long weekends and take advantage of them, for whatever reason, it's just the underlying reason for some of them that cause me consternation. Maybe it's a yearning for that bygone era where a majority actually cared. Maybe it's the never ending wars, the constant pounding drum beat of patriotism, the rise of others demanding their lime light as "warrior du jour". Maybe I'm just a crotchety malcontent. Either way, it seems the day has lost much of it's meaning and reverence it once enjoyed.

Thanks for the thoughtful, and thought provoking posts, y'all. :patriot:

You are welcome.