What do you use to wax your ride?

PeoplesElbow

Up until now I just usually used something that I bought at Big Lots, whatever was cheap and it worked ok for a month or so. After reading up a bunch of detailing forums I decided that I wanted to find something that lasted longer. These "professional" detailers always deride stuff you can buy at Walmart including Meguiars which I always held in pretty high regard. Some of these folks were paying over $100 for a bottle of wax, wtf.

I decided to take the plunge and buy something "high tech" and settled on this http://www.finishkare.com/pr-STEP_3_Hi-Temp_Paste_Wax_60_14_2.htm for about $13 off Amazon as even these guys on the detailing forums hold it in high regard. It is supposed to last 12 months or more, we will see.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Anything made by Meguiars and Mothers is what's on my detail shelf, with the exception of some polishing/buffing products that are 3M.

I've used Big White polishing compound but none of their other products.

I use Turtle Wax ICE. Very quick and easy for a nice shine. Doesn't last terribly long tho. Works nice on plastic body parts like my Goldwing and Polaris.

General Lee

I use Zaino. FinishKare is decent but I doubt you'll get 12 months protection. A sealant will give you that longevity, not a wax.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Up until now I just usually used something that I bought at Big Lots, whatever was cheap and it worked ok for a month or so. After reading up a bunch of detailing forums I decided that I wanted to find something that lasted longer. These "professional" detailers always deride stuff you can buy at Walmart including Meguiars which I always held in pretty high regard. Some of these folks were paying over $100 for a bottle of wax, wtf.

I decided to take the plunge and buy something "high tech" and settled on this http://www.finishkare.com/pr-STEP_3_Hi-Temp_Paste_Wax_60_14_2.htm for about $13 off Amazon as even these guys on the detailing forums hold it in high regard. It is supposed to last 12 months or more, we will see.
For years.....Mother's California Gold Carnauba Wax. :yay:

PeoplesElbow

I use Zaino. FinishKare is decent but I doubt you'll get 12 months protection. A sealant will give you that longevity, not a wax.

Almost all of the reviews that I read made sure to state that it is actually a sealant although it is called a wax.

Was leaning to Meguiars ultimate liquid wax because I could get it anywhere but it actually cost more than the stuff I got and supposedly doesn't last as long. I was looking for something to put on my truck that I don't take as good care of as my car, so maybe wax it twice a year.

How you like the Zanio?

General Lee

Almost all of the reviews that I read made sure to state that it is actually a sealant although it is called a wax.

Was leaning to Meguiars ultimate liquid wax because I could get it anywhere but it actually cost more than the stuff I got and supposedly doesn't last as long. I was looking for something to put on my truck that I don't take as good care of as my car, so maybe wax it twice a year.

How you like the Zanio?

I love Zaino. Its all I've used for a decade or more. I used to detail professionally and If someone requested something with the longest protection, They got Zaino. If I want a quick wax spruce up I like S100 or PS21. There are numerous products out there now that are just as good, but at the time I was detailing Zaino was the best IMO. Not sure if you've checked out their site, Zainostore.com You will get 12 months protection or close to it with it. Kinda depends on how bad the elements are that the vehicle is subjected to.

PeoplesElbow

I love Zaino. Its all I've used for a decade or more. I used to detail professionally and If someone requested something with the longest protection, They got Zaino. If I want a quick wax spruce up I like S100 or PS21. There are numerous products out there now that are just as good, but at the time I was detailing Zaino was the best IMO. Not sure if you've checked out their site, Zainostore.com You will get 12 months protection or close to it with it. Kinda depends on how bad the elements are that the vehicle is subjected to.

I actually did consider Zanio but I saw several people online swear up and down that they secretly changed the formula and it made it more difficult to apply/remove so I thought maybe there was a bad batch out there.

Actually the worst thing my truck is subjected to is sitting outside under some trees, in the winter when it rains there is lots of tree dirt that falls onto it and it gets very very dirty on the flat surfaces, to the point that a pressure wash at the car was won't take the crap off.

Ah. Now it makes sense why you wanted such a long lasting protection.

I take my truck to the car wash every couple of weeks, get the hot wax, then park it in the garage. Looks as good today as when it was new 3 years ago. Don't really need to go to any great lengths to treat it.

Can you put up a carport?

General Lee

Actually the worst thing my truck is subjected to is sitting outside under some trees, in the winter when it rains there is lots of tree dirt that falls onto it and it gets very very dirty on the flat surfaces, to the point that a pressure wash at the car was won't take the crap off.

Once the tree debris sets in, polishing with a machine is the only way to get out. BUT if it sits long enough it can etch the paint (bird poop, sap, water spots) then you have to get aggressive with the paint polishing, which in short thins the clear coat and shortens the life.

PeoplesElbow

Cleaned up the truck real good this weekend and applied the Finish Kare High Temp wax and WOW this stuff beads like a son of a bitch. As I went around the traffic circle on base the water rolled sideways off the hood of my truck. I can't wait till the ####ty turtle wax I put on my car wears off to put this stuff on, it actually has paint that is in good condition.

Before this weekend my "new" truck had a matte finish, don't think it had ever been waxed in its 11 years.

PeoplesElbow

Just wash the car with DAWN dish soap and the turtle wax will be gone. Apply the new wax

That is one of those things that has been said so much it became true, but it really isn't. It was probably started by one of the companies that made car wash specific soap. I wish it was true.

Last edited:

sparkyaclown

That is one of those things that has been said so much it became true, but it really isn't. It was probably started by one of the companies that made car wash specific soap. I wish it was true.

Only time I've used Dawn is when I've had some really nasty stuff on the car. It did a better job with tree sap/ grease than the standard car wash soap. It's not something I'd use regularly though as it is a little harsh on the other non painted surfaces of the vehicle.

Regarding the original topic of the post though, I also use Zaino's and swear by it. I usually end up applying 4-5 coats at a time but I had one vehicle that was still beading up over 18 months later. It is a little longer process than the typical waxes you get in the store but it is easy to apply and remove and does last longer.

m7lukas

I like using Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid. It provides a really nice shine with the durability of a sealant.