Deuteronomy 4 "Do-it-yourself Spirituality"

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 4:44 This is the law Moses set before the Israelites. 45 These are the stipulations, decrees and laws Moses gave them when they came out of Egypt 46 and were in the valley near Beth Peor east of the Jordan, in the land of Sihon king of the Amorites, who reigned in Heshbon and was defeated by Moses and the Israelites as they came out of Egypt. 47 They took possession of his land and the land of Og king of Bashan, the two Amorite kings east of the Jordan. 48 This land extended from Aroer on the rim of the Arnon Gorge to Mount Sirion(b) (that is, Hermon), 49 and included all the Arabah east of the Jordan, as far as the Dead Sea,[c] below the slopes of Pisgah.​

b. Deuteronomy 4:48 Syriac (see also 3:9); Hebrew Siyon
c. Deuteronomy 4:49 Hebrew the Sea of the Arabah

I guess this is like a briefing. Moses, Joshua, Caleb, and all the rest are meeting on the western side of the Jordan River. The men Moses is talking to are young. The men who went with Joshua and Caleb to scout out the Promised Land are now all dead. Their sons are the one standing in front of Moses now. God will be with their sons now. Together God and these sons will defeat the people in Canaan.

So now it's time to discuss the laws that they will live by in this new land. Yep, these are the same rules God handed down to those who were around forty years ago. None the less, the men who are actually going to inhabit the Promised Land need to review.

This is from the classic.studylight.org site.

As Moses addresses the nation, they are on the threshold of the Promised Land. It has been some thirty-eight years since they received the Law of God at Mount Sinai, and now, Moses will review and explain the Law of God with the new generation.

If they were going to take the Promised Land, they had to be trained in God's Word. They would not take it by a do-it-yourself spirituality, but only by obedience to the eternal word of God. The same is true for us - we will never walk in the abundant life God has for us unless we do it by His word.​

This is what the easy English site offers.

It is Moses’ second speech. He reminds the Israelites about all the commandments. God had given those commandments 40 years before. It tells us where and when Moses gave his speech. He gave his speech after they had captured the country to the east of the River Jordan. In this speech, Moses repeated the commandments of God. Moses also told the Israelites how to behave in the new country.​

Well, here's another map....

deut4.jpg

:coffee:

Thank you again for reading with me and keeping me in the Word. I don't know if I would do this if it weren't for you!