White Chefs Can Make Burritos As Long AsThey Don't Make Money

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
White WaPo Food Critic Lambasts White Male Patriarchy, But Says White Chefs Can Make Burritos As Long AsThey Don't Make Money

Washington Post food critic Tim Carman, a middle-aged white man, displays a curious ambivalence about the the movement in Portland, Oregon, to target white restaurateurs who proffer foods derived from other cultures. In an article titled, "Should White Chefs Sell Burritos?" published in the Post on Monday, Carman rants against the white patriarchy, but as a white chef himself, tries to defend white chefs from accusations of cultural appropriation.

Carman starts by referencing the now-infamous incident in which two white women were slammed for selling burritos, forcing them to shut down their thriving business.

Carman notes, "One writer has stated, flat out, that 'Portland has an appropriation problem,' going on to explain (the boldface emphasis is the writer’s)":

Because of Portland’s underlying racism, the people who rightly own these traditions and cultures that exist are already treated poorly. These appropriating businesses are erasing and exploiting their already marginalized identities for the purpose of profit and praise.

Carman points out that a Google doc has been created listing white-owned restaurants that have appropriated cuisines outside their own culture. Then he offers politically correct pablum revolving around the white patriarchy: 'Who can’t identify with a campaign to support the people whose voices are muffled in a culture still dominated by white males?"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My comment on that piece:

Talk about twisting yourself into a (gluten-free locally sourced organic) pretzel trying to be politically correct and failing miserably. This was one of the more tortured pieces I've read on this subject, and that's saying something. I tend to believe that white people who jump on this bandwagon are the real racists. "Look at me! See me liking the dark people? See me not being a racist?? Wanna see pics of my dark skinned friends?" Good grief.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
What if said white chef's cultural identity was/is fluid? SOMD forums paging nkecki/rachel.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
nsynco.jpg

Hijinx

People like this have their heads up their ass.

Put the recipe on Facebook and ten thousand people can make their own Taco's
It's no big secret and no one owns the recipe.

screw this idiot.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Does this mean I can't make burritos in my own house? People enjoy cooking cuisine of other cultures. It is what makes the World go round. What ever happened to assimilation? Wtf is wrong with people? Really? There is a joke about 'melting pot' in this story, somewhere. My humor doesn't show up very often. Y'all are doing a great job! Thanks, for the laughs! :lol:

Last edited: