Mike Rowe On The Minimum Wage Hike And How Society Demeans Trade Jobs

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

First, Rowe noted that automation is simply a fact of life:

... it’s gonna happen. Just as surely as the internet messed up the TV, and the TV messed up cinema, and cinema disrupted radio, and radio messed up the newspapers, and Kindle messed up the booksellers, and so it goes. But I don’t think it’s anything to panic over — it’s gonna happen.

Then, he spoke about vocational work in relation to the minimum wage issue:

... the only thing I can add to it is, with my foundation, we try to remind people that learning a skill that’s actually in demand negates the whole conversation. If you can weld, if you’re a plumber, if you’re an electrician, if you’re willing to learn a skill that has a pre-existing demand then you don’t have to constantly negotiate and talk about a few extra dollars in order to stay in a position that frankly I don’t know how you advance in that kind of thinking.

So our philosophy is pretty simple. If you have a skill, and that skill is in demand, you can work where you want, and you can write your own ticket. If you don’t, you’re gonna have to hope the next negotiation works out and the next minimum wage position falls favorably in your direction — which strikes me as fatalistic.

This_person

First, Rowe noted that automation is simply a fact of life:

... it’s gonna happen. Just as surely as the internet messed up the TV, and the TV messed up cinema, and cinema disrupted radio, and radio messed up the newspapers, and Kindle messed up the booksellers, and so it goes. But I don’t think it’s anything to panic over — it’s gonna happen.

Then, he spoke about vocational work in relation to the minimum wage issue:

... the only thing I can add to it is, with my foundation, we try to remind people that learning a skill that’s actually in demand negates the whole conversation. If you can weld, if you’re a plumber, if you’re an electrician, if you’re willing to learn a skill that has a pre-existing demand then you don’t have to constantly negotiate and talk about a few extra dollars in order to stay in a position that frankly I don’t know how you advance in that kind of thinking.

So our philosophy is pretty simple. If you have a skill, and that skill is in demand, you can work where you want, and you can write your own ticket. If you don’t, you’re gonna have to hope the next negotiation works out and the next minimum wage position falls favorably in your direction — which strikes me as fatalistic.

They say the person who knows how to do something will always have a job; and, the person who knows why it's done that way will always be the first person's boss.

Not everyone can DO it, not everyone can UNDERSTAND it, but pretty much everyone can do one or the other. You just have to try.

Hijinx

They say the person who knows how to do something will always have a job; and, the person who knows why it's done that way will always be the first person's boss.

Not everyone can DO it, not everyone can UNDERSTAND it, but pretty much everyone can do one or the other. You just have to try.

I have a couple of friends who never shone in school, in fact they were near the bottom of the class.
They went into business for themselves and are now millionaires.
It just takes the right trade and hard work and fighting with the Government regulations.