Squirrels!

frequentflier

happy to be living
The squirrels are in full action on all the bird feeders and seem to be sparring a lot. I will feed just about anything that comes around; despite the destruction. BUT...cool thing...last night, one of the cats alerted me to activity in the back by swishing her tail and she was excited about something and I heard one of the back feeders clanking. Could it be the (darn pesky) raccoon that keeps eating all the suet or something else? To my excitement, it was two flying squirrels! I quickly turned off the back porch light since I had read they are nocturnal and the light is not good for them. In three years in this house, I think they are the first pair I have been aware of. I put peanuts out for them tonight (though I haven't heard the clanking of the feeder but I am sitting here hoping they come back!)

And I was just telling a friend that I had not seen the pair of solid black squirrels that came around briefly last year at this time...and I saw one helping himself to the food in one of the front feeders!

As hectic as my life can be, I can appreciate the small things that make me feel good inside and keep me smiling!

Used to have a pair in my backyard. They weren't terribly afraid of us and I could get within a few feet of them while they ate. Haven't seen them in a long while.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
oh ya they are out, all their little damn babys ;-))))))))) Clarkes Landing area has a population of black squirrels, Never have seen a flying one in dowell area.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
When I was younger, we had a flying squirrel trapped in our fireplace. Thank goodness the glass door was closed at the time. We called our neighbor who was a Park Ranger to rescue it and release it back outside.

frequentflier

happy to be living
oh ya they are out, all their little damn babys ;-))))))))) Clarkes Landing area has a population of black squirrels, Never have seen a flying one in dowell area.

When we lived in CRE, we had them. Our cats alerted us to their presence on the feeders on the bedroom deck.
We are off Coster now and this is the first time I have seen them. Since they are nocturnal, I guess you have to be watching for them or have cats that know they are out there. And a couple nights ago, Ivy made me aware of them again!