How Much Would You Pay For A Mercedes Engine Rebuild?

glhs837

Power with Control
Hats off, takes some to dive into an expensive motor. I'm going to go with a total outlay, not counting labor, of course, of about 15K, with a lot of that in special tools and outside machine shop costs.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Hats off, takes some to dive into an expensive motor. I'm going to go with a total outlay, not counting labor, of course, of about 15K, with a lot of that in special tools and outside machine shop costs.
But it's a minivan, why?

glhs837

Power with Control
But it's a minivan, why?

Because AMG, that's why :) Damn things are unicorns....

It uses a 507-hp, 6.2-liter naturally aspirated V8, sends power to all four wheels, and weighs around 5300 lbs. Oh, and it seats six in comfort, as any proper minivan should.

Would I buy a minvan that does 0-60 in under 4 seconds and can hit 155 with perfect safety all day long? No but I'm glad such things exist. Ludicrous power ALL the wheeled things. :)

PeoplesElbow

Probably violated copyright laws working on it himself.

Seriously the resale value of fine German engineering sucks so bad there is no way he could have sold that van for the $57k the dealer wanted to fix it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Probably violated copyright laws working on it himself.

Seriously the resale value of fine German engineering sucks so bad there is no way he could have sold that van for the $57k the dealer wanted to fix it.

Not the mechaincal bits, that sort of thing is really about the code. Access and ability to alter. But you are right about the price. Very few of these sell, since there are so few, but here's the most recent I can find....

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-mercedes-benz-r63/

glhs837

Power with Control
seriously thought, whats the loss ?

time and some parts ....
I mean depending on how trashed the 1st motor was, it could be a simple job

As I noted, getting the tech info and special tools can be a serious chore, he could have started, got thousands into it, only to find that the valves simply are not available outside the dealer network. Or that a test required a piece of gear that you cannot get. Most vehicles, there's enough of a community base that folks will develop a workaround. For instance, BMW requires a $1200 dollar tool to safely remove the hollow camshafts from the M52 engine without snapping them, and another $700 dollar tool set to set and hold the timing for reassembly. But the community has developed procedures that allow both of those tasks to be done for under $100.

But when you are on this level, with the small amount of vehicles in question, you might be up the creek. Very few if any owners would have been there before, so you could hit a dead end.