NPYD Deploy Military Sound Weapon - Get Sued

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The plaintiffs, two photojournalists, three protesters, and a videographer, say they experienced migraines and severe ringing in their ears in the immediate aftermath of the protest. Three reported experiencing continued ringing in their ears as of last August, and a fourth suffered nerve damage in his ear as a result of the blasts, according to the suit.

The LRAD was developed as a military sound weapon following the 2000 attack on the USS Cole in Yemen. Police departments have since acquired the devices to use for crowd control. The NYPD first used one to make announcements during the 2004 protests against the Republican National Convention. In 2009, Pittsburgh police used the LRAD's high-deciblel weapon function against protesters at the G-20 financial summit.

In a 2010 briefing, the NYPD Disorder Control Unit described the Pittsburgh deployment by saying the LRAD was "used successfully." However, as lawyers for the Black Lives Matter protesters note, Pittsburgh paid $200,000 to settle litigation stemming from its handling of the protest, including $72,000 to a bystander who suffered permanent hearing loss from the LRAD.

The backpack-sized LRAD 100x used by the NYPD in 2014 can emit sounds up to 137 decibels, according to marketing materials. Exposure to sound levels over 85 decibels can cause hearing loss, according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

http://gothamist.com/2017/06/01/lrad_lawsuit_nypd.php

I don't care about BLM per-sea .... but this is bull ####

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
NYPD

per se

Personally, I think they should skip the theatrics and just hose them down like in the good old days. Other than that, it sounds like the device worked as intended.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Sure it is.

If they're told to disperse, and they refuse, the consequences of that are on them.

Perhaps if you had an angry violent mob right outside your home or business throwing things and setting fires, you would feel differently about "right to protest".

Chris0nllyn

How is it not?

Protesters go to protest. Police are sent to break them up. Police issue warnings that are ignored. Police use noise maker to disband protest. Protesters sue for it. Seems like the same narrative to me :shrug:

It would be a fair comparison if only the protestors were suing. That's not the case, as evidenced in the first line in the quote in the OP.

...two photojournalists, three protesters, and a videographer...

Unless the claim is the photographers and videographer were also smashing and burning ####?

Wishbone

How is it not?

Protesters go to protest. Police are sent to break them up. Police issue warnings that are ignored. Police use noise maker to disband protest. Protesters sue for it. Seems like the same narrative to me :shrug:

It was interfering with their fire-sale shopping spree.

Restitution

It would be a fair comparison if only the protestors were suing. That's not the case, as evidenced in the first line in the quote in the OP.

Unless the claim is the photographers and videographer were also smashing and burning ####?

No. The videographers and photographers knew what they were getting into. They put themselves into the path of the tornado. Can't call "backsies" after the fact!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I'm guessing they were told, along with everyone else, to stop blocking traffic and they refused. "Journalists" aren't special and they aren't exempt. If they consider it "their job" to mix it up with the rioters, then they can suffer the consequences of that.

Chris0nllyn

I'm guessing they were told, along with everyone else, to stop blocking traffic and they refused. "Journalists" aren't special and they aren't exempt. If they consider it "their job" to mix it up with the rioters, then they can suffer the consequences of that.

It certainly is their job.

It's not like the NYPD was only pointing the LRAD down the street. They blasted it all down the street affecting people that were not protesting. Chalk it up to hazards of the job or whatever, but it's not akin to a robber suing the store because they got hurt doing so. That would imply the journalists were breaking the law. If they were on the sidwalk the whole time, and not tossing bottles and #### at the police, they were not breaking the law (remember the journalists that got roughed up during the Ferguson riots?). That's all my reply was for. The comparison.

I'm sure this will somehow get turned into me being a progbot who thinks protesting should involve breaking and burning ####, but I was replying to the comparison.

There's a video of what they did in the OP's link.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It certainly is their job.

Then they can suffer the consequences. Tough noogs.

Really, had the NYPD whipped out a pack of machine guns and started mowing them all down, that would have been just fine with me. I'm sick of these scumbags and I do not believe they have a legitimate place in our society. They're rabid animals and I'm okay with putting them down.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Personally, I think they should skip the theatrics and just hose them down like in the good old days.

Inorite? I've seen up close and personally how effective the serious water cannons are. Watched German police disperse rioting mobs with them..and not coincidentally..douse the trash cans, trees and other stuff the rioters had set on fire during their spree. Do we even have those big armored vehicle water cannons here?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Okay... the title of that video is completely wrong.

I was really hoping to see a cop come out swinging a fire hose over his head. :kicksrocks: