Is there any point now...?

hotbikermama40

I woke up last night, shortly after falling asleep with the most painful feeling of burning pressure in my chest and throat. I've had pain from heartburn before, but this eclipsed those episodes by miles! The "rise and fall" feeling of this occurred rapidly, about 30 seconds to a minute or so apart. It made it extremely difficult to take a full breath and wouldn't ease up...at all. Only after 4 Tums and a dose of Pepto did they dull enough for me to go back to sleep.

Initially, the thought 'Am I having a heart attack?' Went through my mind, but then I decided that couldn't be it. It MUST be indigestion or acid reflux. Even though I've never had any indication EVER before of GURD. In the interest of full disclosure, while I didn't eat anything yesterday that would likely cause heartburn, I did enjoy a handful of beers. I'm not a heavy drinker, and even though it probably doesn't mean squat, I've not had any problems with regards to gas, reflux or the like when I've imbibed before. Also, I smoke which increases the chance of problems, I know. Finally, I'm 46, and cardiac problems are present through my father and paternal grandmother.

So, this morning, I can't stop thinking over and over of my initial question and deciding I may have very well had a heart attack, or signs of one coming, maybe? If that is even possible. I still don't feel well; I'm feeling fatigued and just "bleh". Honestly, it kind of feels like remnants of last night's symptoms are still present.

So my question now is this: is there any point now in going to urgent care? Or should I wait to make an appointment with my doctor and just go see her? If it makes any difference, my insurance will only cover Patient First in Waldorf.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Don't waste time, and get to a DR somewhere. It very well could have been a heart attack or some other cardiac incident. They are often mistaken for what most see as acid reflux or heartburn. I know. I've been there and found out two years ago that it WAS my heart and I was not imagining it.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Don't waste time, and get to a DR somewhere. It very well could have been a heart attack or some other cardiac incident. They are often mistaken for what most see as acid reflux or heartburn. I know. I've been there and found out two years ago that it WAS my heart and I was not imagining it.

Glad you are still here. :huggy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I woke up last night, shortly after falling asleep with the most painful feeling of burning pressure in my chest and throat. I've had pain from heartburn before, but this eclipsed those episodes by miles! The "rise and fall" feeling of this occurred rapidly, about 30 seconds to a minute or so apart. It made it extremely difficult to take a full breath and wouldn't ease up...at all. Only after 4 Tums and a dose of Pepto did they dull enough for me to go back to sleep.

Initially, the thought 'Am I having a heart attack?' Went through my mind, but then I decided that couldn't be it. It MUST be indigestion or acid reflux. Even though I've never had any indication EVER before of GURD. In the interest of full disclosure, while I didn't eat anything yesterday that would likely cause heartburn, I did enjoy a handful of beers. I'm not a heavy drinker, and even though it probably doesn't mean squat, I've not had any problems with regards to gas, reflux or the like when I've imbibed before. Also, I smoke which increases the chance of problems, I know. Finally, I'm 46, and cardiac problems are present through my father and paternal grandmother.

So, this morning, I can't stop thinking over and over of my initial question and deciding I may have very well had a heart attack, or signs of one coming, maybe? If that is even possible. I still don't feel well; I'm feeling fatigued and just "bleh". Honestly, it kind of feels like remnants of last night's symptoms are still present.

So my question now is this: is there any point now in going to urgent care? Or should I wait to make an appointment with my doctor and just go see her? If it makes any difference, my insurance will only cover Patient First in Waldorf.

I literally just had this happen when we were in Austin. Severe chest pain for several weeks. Finally went to Urgent Care and had an ECG, which came back normal. I started taking Nexium....two days later, gone. Kept taking it for 10 days and haven't had it since.

Go to Urgent Care and get the ECG. NOW. You can have a heart attack without even knowing it. So get the test.

I'm betting it's reflux. But get the test anyway just in case it's not.

hotbikermama40

I am feeling better but will still work on getting in asap. I tend to stick my head in the sand when it comes to having to see the doctor - I'm a terrible procrastinator!

littlelady

God bless the USA
I am feeling better but will still work on getting in asap. I tend to stick my head in the sand when it comes to having to see the doctor - I'm a terrible procrastinator!

Me, too. It took me 6 months after moving to find new doc and dentist. Just seeing them now, and in the next month. I, totally, procrastinated using the excuse that I was too busy. I have a feeling you have been very healthy all your life; like me, and tend to ignore an issue that might be a problem. Been there, and doing that, now, but have now given in, and know I need to go for checkups, etc. I hope all is well for you.

hotbikermama40

Me, too. It took me 6 months after moving to find new doc and dentist. Just seeing them now, and in the next month. I, totally, procrastinated using the excuse that I was too busy. I have a feeling you have been very healthy all your life; like me, and tend to ignore an issue that might be a problem. Been there, and doing that, now, but have now given in, and know I need to go for checkups, etc. I hope all is well for you.

Thanks ;-) you as well

littlelady

God bless the USA
Thanks ;-) you as well

The Pollyanna in me made me post again. My father always said my honesty will get the best of me. :lol: I am 16 years your senior. Like I said, always been healthy, but I think the last few years have taken a toll on me. I come from a long line of family with great constitutions. My grandfather died at 95 while he was pushing his non mechanical lawnmower. But, I have put off going to the doc/dentist for more than a year; not six months. I know you are worried and scared. Just go, like I am. Everything will probably be ok. Remember, I am part Pollyanna, and life is always sunny and good, if I/we let it be. :smile:

Last edited:

hotbikermama40

The Pollyanna in me made me post again. My father always said my honesty will get the best of me. :lol: I am 16 years your senior. Like I said, always been healthy, but I think the last few years have taken a toll on me. I come from a long line of family with great constitutions. My grandfather died at 95 while he was pushing his non mechanical lawnmower. But, I have put off going to the doc/dentist for more than a year; not six months. I know you are worried and scared. Just go, like I am. Everything will probably be ok. Remember, I am part Pollyanna, and life is always sunny and good, if I/we let it be. :smile:

I too have longevity in my family on my father's side. My great-grandma passed just a few years ago at the age of 102, literally weeks shy of her 103rd birthday. Grandma is still alive at 93. I'll have to shed the cloak of security I've always worn because of that, eh?

PeoplesElbow

Push gently on your breastbone, if it feels tender you have had silent GERD for a while, get it under control it can lead to throat cancer if left untreated.

I have acid reflux, i can no longer eat pepperoni because I will wake up feeling like I have lava in my throat and nothing makes it go away. Now I take Prilosec every day and it keeps it mostly at bay, the tenderness in my chest is gone and I have to eat like an old person, did you say the 4PM early bird special?

Look up symptoms of gall bladder infection. Many forget about that pesky thing and you are in the average age of when they can go putried and have to be taken out.

hotbikermama40

Push gently on your breastbone, if it feels tender you have had silent GERD for a while, get it under control it can lead to throat cancer if left untreated.

I have acid reflux, i can no longer eat pepperoni because I will wake up feeling like I have lava in my throat and nothing makes it go away. Now I take Prilosec every day and it keeps it mostly at bay, the tenderness in my chest is gone and I have to eat like an old person, did you say the 4PM early bird special?

Nooooo! Don't make me give up pepperoni! Lol

littlelady

God bless the USA
It sucks to get old, but we all have to do it. My mother said that to me years ago when I was a teenager; when she was applying makeup. That was prob 1970, or something in that range. She was right as always. I never forgot, and it makes me laugh to hear her in my head. She was the best mom, ever. She smoked, too. Virginia Slims, and thought that would kill her. Well, it didn't. She died of Alzheimers and forgot she smoked. And this was a woman that taught me to play classical piano, was a realtor/developer in Nola, wrote poems, country music, and children's books. And, was a whiz at the NY Times crossword puzzles. We never know what will take us from this earth. So, take care of yourself, and I will try to do the same. As my dot says...there are a lot of people counting on you, mom. Thanks for the guilt trip, my precious baby girl that now has a precious baby girl! :lol:

I, also, want to say how close I was to my mom. We were best friends. There are things she probably didn't want to know. Just like in the present, my dot and I are best friends, and there are things I could have lived without knowing, too. :jet: But, the relationship between me/mom/dot warms my heart, and it is good to know we share/shared all that as women. Sorry, hbm, I just need to channel my thoughts, sometimes. This forum is where I do that.. I had to vent because it seems that now that dot is preg again, her MS symptoms are coming back. Docs usually say that pregnancy alleviates the MS symptoms, and then get back on meds after birth. She is 30, and it is not fair'; and she is not feeling well. I get so pissed off. Meg has never done a wrong thing in her life. She is the perfect dot. Let us know how you are doing. :huggy:

This is my one and only social media outlet ever in my life. I am a dinosaur. :lol: No hijacking of thread intended.

I, also, want to say that there is something familiar about you. I don't know if you have been on this forum before, or you are just a person that is easy going, and easy to know. If, that is really you in your avatar, then I don't know you. Anyway. I like you. Now, I need to go to bed, or I do no one any good. Nite, nite.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
It sucks to get old...

It doesn't have to. After going through a few bouts of colitis and also having GERD (which caused Barrett's Esophagus), I got educated on the root cause of these things and changed the way I eat and deal with stress. Those are the two biggest factors in causing most of our ailments. I eat clean, work out, and I am in better shape now than I was in my 20s and 30s. Having these things happen to me was a big motivator.

Bikermama... I don't know where you are now in this, but do what many said... get to the ER and have a complete heart exam. Even though I still get chest pains from time to time, when it gets bad - even when I probably know it's the reflux - I still get to the ER and get it checked. I took Prilosec for a while, but it was causing some side effects. I was on Nexium for a long time and it worked great. Now I'm on Protonix. It's working well. The one thing you have to hope doesn't happen is getting Barrett's Esophagus. That's pre-cancerous damage to the Barrett's Ring in the bottom of the esophagus just before the stomach. So, if you find out this is reflux, I would demand an upper endoscopy. What they might also find, if you have reflux, is a hiatal hernia. A very common thing that causes reflux.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You should heed the advise given here and see a doctor. Because if you are not careful, you just might wake up dead some day.