Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any point now...?

Is there any point now...?

I woke up last night, shortly after falling asleep with the most painful feeling of burning pressure in my chest and throat. I've had pain from heartburn before, but this eclipsed those episodes by miles! The "rise and fall" feeling of this occurred rapidly, about 30 seconds to a minute or so apart. It made it extremely difficult to take a full breath and wouldn't ease up...at all. Only after 4 Tums and a dose of Pepto did they dull enough for me to go back to sleep.

Initially, the thought 'Am I having a heart attack?' Went through my mind, but then I decided that couldn't be it. It MUST be indigestion or acid reflux. Even though I've never had any indication EVER before of GURD. In the interest of full disclosure, while I didn't eat anything yesterday that would likely cause heartburn, I did enjoy a handful of beers. I'm not a heavy drinker, and even though it probably doesn't mean squat, I've not had any problems with regards to gas, reflux or the like when I've imbibed before. Also, I smoke which increases the chance of problems, I know. Finally, I'm 46, and cardiac problems are present through my father and paternal grandmother.

So, this morning, I can't stop thinking over and over of my initial question and deciding I may have very well had a heart attack, or signs of one coming, maybe? If that is even possible. I still don't feel well; I'm feeling fatigued and just "bleh". Honestly, it kind of feels like remnants of last night's symptoms are still present.

So my question now is this: is there any point now in going to urgent care? Or should I wait to make an appointment with my doctor and just go see her? If it makes any difference, my insurance will only cover Patient First in Waldorf.
    Some folks just need a high-five. Some just need a high-five to the face.

It sounds like reflux, but if it concerns you, get an EKG at your earliest opportunity.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

3. 06-03-2017, 03:17 PM

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Don't waste time, and get to a DR somewhere. It very well could have been a heart attack or some other cardiac incident. They are often mistaken for what most see as acid reflux or heartburn. I know. I've been there and found out two years ago that it WAS my heart and I was not imagining it.
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by b23hqb View Post
    Don't waste time, and get to a DR somewhere. It very well could have been a heart attack or some other cardiac incident. They are often mistaken for what most see as acid reflux or heartburn. I know. I've been there and found out two years ago that it WAS my heart and I was not imagining it.
    Glad you are still here.
    Like I said, JMO, yo! - Roman

Are you feeling better, hbm?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbikermama40 View Post
    I woke up last night, shortly after falling asleep with the most painful feeling of burning pressure in my chest and throat. I've had pain from heartburn before, but this eclipsed those episodes by miles! The "rise and fall" feeling of this occurred rapidly, about 30 seconds to a minute or so apart. It made it extremely difficult to take a full breath and wouldn't ease up...at all. Only after 4 Tums and a dose of Pepto did they dull enough for me to go back to sleep.

Initially, the thought 'Am I having a heart attack?' Went through my mind, but then I decided that couldn't be it. It MUST be indigestion or acid reflux. Even though I've never had any indication EVER before of GURD. In the interest of full disclosure, while I didn't eat anything yesterday that would likely cause heartburn, I did enjoy a handful of beers. I'm not a heavy drinker, and even though it probably doesn't mean squat, I've not had any problems with regards to gas, reflux or the like when I've imbibed before. Also, I smoke which increases the chance of problems, I know. Finally, I'm 46, and cardiac problems are present through my father and paternal grandmother.

So, this morning, I can't stop thinking over and over of my initial question and deciding I may have very well had a heart attack, or signs of one coming, maybe? If that is even possible. I still don't feel well; I'm feeling fatigued and just "bleh". Honestly, it kind of feels like remnants of last night's symptoms are still present.

So my question now is this: is there any point now in going to urgent care? Or should I wait to make an appointment with my doctor and just go see her? If it makes any difference, my insurance will only cover Patient First in Waldorf.
    I literally just had this happen when we were in Austin. Severe chest pain for several weeks. Finally went to Urgent Care and had an ECG, which came back normal. I started taking Nexium....two days later, gone. Kept taking it for 10 days and haven't had it since.

Go to Urgent Care and get the ECG. NOW. You can have a heart attack without even knowing it. So get the test.

I'm betting it's reflux. But get the test anyway just in case it's not.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

I am feeling better but will still work on getting in asap. I tend to stick my head in the sand when it comes to having to see the doctor - I'm a terrible procrastinator!

I am feeling better but will still work on getting in asap. I tend to stick my head in the sand when it comes to having to see the doctor - I'm a terrible procrastinator!
    Me, too. It took me 6 months after moving to find new doc and dentist. Just seeing them now, and in the next month. I, totally, procrastinated using the excuse that I was too busy. I have a feeling you have been very healthy all your life; like me, and tend to ignore an issue that might be a problem. Been there, and doing that, now, but have now given in, and know I need to go for checkups, etc. I hope all is well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    Me, too. It took me 6 months after moving to find new doc and dentist. Just seeing them now, and in the next month. I, totally, procrastinated using the excuse that I was too busy. I have a feeling you have been very healthy all your life; like me, and tend to ignore an issue that might be a problem. Been there, and doing that, now, but have now given in, and know I need to go for checkups, etc. I hope all is well for you.
    Thanks ;-) you as well

Thanks ;-) you as well
    The Pollyanna in me made me post again. My father always said my honesty will get the best of me. I am 16 years your senior. Like I said, always been healthy, but I think the last few years have taken a toll on me. I come from a long line of family with great constitutions. My grandfather died at 95 while he was pushing his non mechanical lawnmower. But, I have put off going to the doc/dentist for more than a year; not six months. I know you are worried and scared. Just go, like I am. Everything will probably be ok. Remember, I am part Pollyanna, and life is always sunny and good, if I/we let it be.
    Last edited by littlelady; 06-04-2017 at 04:35 AM. Reason: I meant motorized, and no I can't sleep

Members who have read this thread: 68