Can I cut brush, not on my property?

Forkian

The house next to me is not currently occupied. The brush is on their property on the wood line and it obstructs my view when trying to exit my driveway. So much that I can't see oncoming traffic coming at me on the road. Do I have a right to legally cut the brush and saplings on their property back? Do I need to call someone in county govt (Calvert) to get permission? If so, who?

Thanks

Forkian

Just don't want a stupid lawsuit to pay to "replace my trees" or anything from whoever owns the land now. I would be removing a few tall and skinny saplings.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
The house next to me is not currently occupied. The brush is on their property on the wood line and it obstructs my view when trying to exit my driveway. So much that I can't see oncoming traffic coming at me on the road. Do I have a right to legally cut the brush and saplings on their property back? Do I need to call someone in county govt (Calvert) to get permission? If so, who? Thanks.

Just do it. Who would ever know that some well meaning landscape company came by? You need to be comfortable on your own property, and, obviously, the house next door is not being maintained. Your neighbors will probably appreciate your effort. If the property is being neglected, go for it. Where are you in Calvert? Just moved from there after 20 years. I hope it is not my previous property. What I am hearing from my beloved previous neighbors is that they haven't met the new guy/homeowner yet, after 6 months of our house being bought. I don't get that. We all knew each other; granted we all lived on an average of 5 acres, but still.

All we know is that he is single, Asian, and a postal worker that works out of DC.

I just thought of one more thing. You have to keep the brush down because of copperheads, and other non human friendly critters. We had copperheads even though we kept up. My dot even had a copperhead come into her fenced yard in Olney because the next door neighbor had a canoe overturned in the back yard, and mama copperhead decided to give birth there. Once that was discovered, the neighbor did a fast cleanup. It was not a good situation with a one year old child, and pup. And, it was a legit 6 foot fence, not split rail. Do what you need to do for yourself. I think you catch my drift. :smile:

This might be tacky, but I don't care. My dot's neighbors with the overturned snake incubation canoe don't speak English. Habla Espanol? Yes. Never would I have thought I would end up again in Montgomery County after moving out in 1997 to Calvert. Life is truly full circle.

But, I want to say again, do what you want to make your life more enjoyable/comfortable. Usually, there are no consquences, unless you are a conservative/Republican. :lol:

I know, some will say why is everything politics, anymore? But, it is. It is the way of the world. PC is a bunch of crap. Do what you need to do to keep you and your family safe. Period.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
The house next to me is not currently occupied. The brush is on their property on the wood line and it obstructs my view when trying to exit my driveway. So much that I can't see oncoming traffic coming at me on the road. Do I have a right to legally cut the brush and saplings on their property back? Do I need to call someone in county govt (Calvert) to get permission? If so, who?

Thanks

Just do it! No one would probably even know if the place isn't being maintained.

We won't tell anyone! :whistle:

Grumpy

thanks everyone. I will bounce it off highway maintenance, then just cut it down.

If I remember correctly, the county(Calvert) is responsible for the roadside that is within 25 feet of the center of the road. I had a very large dead tree at the front of my property that was within 25 feet of the center of the road, county came out and removed it.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I remember correctly, the county(Calvert) is responsible for the roadside that is within 25 feet of the center of the road. I had a very large dead tree at the front of my property that was within 25 feet of the center of the road, county came out and removed it.

That's the right of way, 25 feet on either side of the center line. This brush may not necessarily be within that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You could also arrange for a fender bender due to poor visibility, then sue the County (or whoever owns/manages the property) for not maintaining appropriate safety standards. :jet:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

My dot even had a copperhead come into her fenced yard in Olney because the next door neighbor had a canoe overturned in the back yard, and mama copperhead decided to give birth there.

How is that even possible!? How could have that snake possibly gotten into a "fenced" yard? Do you think it could have jumped over the fence, like a deer can? Maybe a neighbor threw it over the fence from their unfenced yard into hers? Could it have dug a hole under the fence to get in, like a dog does to get out of a fenced yard? You should have your dot walk the perimeter of that fence of hers and fill in any dug holes under the fence line to prevent this from possibly happening again. Because you don't want any more snakes, copperheads at least, sneaking in under that fence. Unless of course that fence was built to keep something in. If that is the case, well, there in lies the problem. That fence should have been built with a dual purpose strategy, to keep things in and out. You might want to have her to contact the fencing contractor who put up the fence to come out and make the necessary modifications. It might cost a few extra dollars, but the peace of mind that comes with it, and the added extra safety, would be well worth the additional cost. Because just as you so eloquently put it, ...
Do what you need to do to keep you and your family safe. Period.

awpitt

Main Streeter
You could also arrange for a fender bender due to poor visibility, then sue the County (or whoever owns/manages the property) for not maintaining appropriate safety standards. :jet:

Unfortunately, that wouldn't fly. The driver has ultimate responsibility to yield the right of way when entering a roadway regardless of the conditions. MD's boulevard rule is pretty cut and dry.

nutz

Thanks

really??? What part of not yours needs to be further explained? You need permission from the property owner.

luvmygdaughters

Do you have an HOA? If so, complain to them. Do you know the owners? Is the property abandoned? If you have exhausted all other options, than definitely cut it back.

BernieP

Resident PIA
only you are know if you are capable of cutting the brush.
I'm sure the property owner(s) will not object.

Chris0nllyn

Thanks

MD has what's called a "Roadside Tree Law"

You need to get a permit to perform work on any tree that's in, or grows in the public right of way. Of course, to get the permit, your property must but to the right of way, and it sounds like that's not the case here? Plus it has to be done by a licensed tree expert.

This is all done through DNR, not the county.
http://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/programapps/newrtlaw.aspx

It's up to you if you want to waste the time....

Last edited: