Someone is dumping cats

FettZilla

So my neighbor was saying that a few cats have been appearing a lot lately on our street. Stupid people in their cats are dumping them all around. And yes, my mother and I have seen a couple cats sitting on our front porch within the past couple weeks. Isn't this illegal because they can't take of their pets anymore?

littlelady

God bless the USA
So my neighbor was saying that a few cats have been appearing a lot lately on our street. Stupid people in their cats are dumping them all around. And yes, my mother and I have seen a couple cats sitting on our front porch within the past couple weeks. Isn't this illegal because they can't take of their pets anymore?

No, it is not illegal. It is due to heartless humans that do that. It is, actually, how I acquired my first pet in NOLA when I was 10, and found Kitty kitten in a tree in my front yard; she lived to be 21. All, these years later, I still don't understand why they don't take unwanted animals to shelters. Yes, there is a chance they will be euthanized, but it is better than being roadkill and left to rot. What is wrong with people?
Also, it could be the feral cat thing, which I have never dealt with. I am sure FF or someone more familiar will post here. It is heartwrenching. Have you considered taking the kitties in? One of the best stories ever in my family was a stray tom cat that showed up on my parents doorstep. He had the most obnoxious meow, but was relentless. They took him in, named him Mouthy, and he lived for 14 more years with them. They estimate he was at least 16 when he died. Another story is my youngest bro was on a campout in TX, and a baby kitty showed up. He brought her home, and named her Pandy, and had her for 10 years. She always waited for him to come home everyday by the back door, and gave him kisses. There is also a story about Charlie and one of my cousins. But, I won't bore y'all anymore. Cats are not any trouble. You just have to feed them and give them a litter box, and they take care of themselves after that. We just have a dog now, which I love dearly. She is my Daisy Doodle Poodle Noodle, but I miss my cats. We had to draw the line because of allergies. Just my thoughts.

One more thing. When we lived in Calvert we adopted 2 kitties when we adopted 2 dogs. They were the best pets, ever. The kitties, Tommy and Sox, lived long lives; dying at 15 years, and Sox was deaf. Sorry, to hijack your thread, but animals mean a lot to me, and I miss them, and the kitty purring of it all cannot be replaced. It is priceless. I miss them so much.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living

Illegal? Probably but who would enforce it? Ignorant, certainly. It is unfortunate that many people dump their cats (and sometimes dogs) when they move. "Oh, the cat can take care of himself".
Depending on where you live, there are some cat rescues that will help trap the cats, vet them (test for disease, spay, neuter, vaccinate) and return them if you are willing to feed them. They will be ear tipped (tip of right ear cut off) so that others know they have been vetted. Many people like the benefits of having some outdoor kitties for rodent control.

If you are unwilling to feed and water them and possibly put out safe boxes for them in the winter, you would have to get ahold of animal control, where they usually trap and take them to the animal shelter; where they will likely be PTS (put to sleep). Our local animal shelter euthanizes about 70% of the cats and kittens that come in.

It could also be in your neighborhood that there are outdoors and or feral cats that are mating and reproducing. Again, depending on where you live, there may be help available with a local rescue.

On a personal note, we moved a very feral cat with us several years ago who I had vetted after seeing her mate. It was not an option to leave her to fend for herself when we moved. With patience and time, she has become a purring love bug that hangs out on our property and woods, demands food 2X a day, loves to get brushed and petted, is learning to like treats, has two outside heated homes and a shed she can get into. We are *animal people* and she brings so much joy to our lives. I am working on letting me pick her up but she is very skittish and likes to be in control. My house cats have accepted her presence outside and they actually play with each other through the door. She gets along great with my dogs and acts like she wants to play with them. They totally could care less! Occasionally, we have other feline visitors we feed.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yep, it is illegal. Tough to enforce unless you can identify the culprit.
§ 10-612. Abandoning domestic animal

Prohibited

(a) A person who owns, possesses, or has custody of a domestic animal may not drop or leave the animal on a road, in a public place, or on private property with the intent to abandon the animal.

Penalty

(b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $100.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
When I saw that you posted in this tread, I thought it was going some where else.

Oh, I know. I learned a long time ago to never ever give advise on how to get rid of nuisance cats.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's equally likely the cats are simply part of the feral population that is huge in southern MD.

We took in two feral cats, brothers, from a rescue, who had them neutered, about 14 or 15 years ago. Built them an outdoor "cat house" and feed them twice a day but that's it. They are still good mousers and still catch the occasional bird. Both have been injured tangling with other local wild critters - fox in particular - over the years. One of the two brothers will wander off for a few days but always returns, while the other has never left the property (8 wooded acres). They started getting "friendly" after maybe 5 or 6 years, and are now to the point where they both actively seek getting their heads scratched every now and again..usually around supper time. But picking either one up is definitely not an option..LOL.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Oh, I know. I learned a long time ago to never ever give advise on how to get rid of nuisance cats.

Target practice? Testing the ballistic characteristics, and overall effectiveness, of the latest varmint .17 HMR, .204 Ruger, .223 Remington, .220 Swift, or the .243 Winchester projectile?

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

Target practice? Testing the ballistic characteristics, and overall effectiveness, of the latest varmint .17 HMR, .204 Ruger, .223 Remington, .220 Swift, or the .243 Winchester projectile?

did you purchase the correct license for cat hunting?
Make sure whatever you hunt is "in season".
Don't forget the permit for your ammunition as well.

- signed
People's Republic of Maryland

black dog

Free America

I wish folks would drop them cats off at my place, ground hogs are already slim pickings this summer.
17 Squirrel or 19 Calhoon is all you need..

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Decades ago I was stationed with a guy that had someone living close by feeding them. They got so out of hand he resorted to
thinning the herd ballistically.