Thousand Islands, NY

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Somebody just recommended this to us - Monello may remember exactly, I think it was someone we were talking to at the bar. My impression was it's more outdoorsy and scenic, rather than hubbub touristy Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

Chris0nllyn

Somebody just recommended this to us - Monello may remember exactly, I think it was someone we were talking to at the bar. My impression was it's more outdoorsy and scenic, rather than hubbub touristy Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

That's my impression as well. I'm okay with the outdoorsy thing, as long as there's some stuff to do for a week or so.

Codfish

I grew up in New York state and went to thousand islands every year on vacation. I highly recommend. We went to Wesley island, campsite D32. I highly HIGHLY recommend getting there if possible. Not far from the St. Lawrence river, great swimming, fishing and snorkeling. Alexandria bay is really nice and touristy, and Canada isn't far at all. I cant emphasize enough how enjoyable and scenic it is up there. I would love to take a trip in the next few years if am able to. Renting cabins there is also possible.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Many years ago, I camped out there once in the spring; before "tourist" season. Where I was, the water was crystal clear and cold and the owner of the site we stayed at let us take out his small boat. If I recall, there are many islands that people own and put up houses, cabins, shacks. The place was gorgeous.
It has been many years since I lived in New York state but the Thousand Islands is some place I would love to go back to if given the chance (and had the time) There are other awesome places in NY like Letchworth state Park and Watkins Glen.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I grew up in New York state and went to thousand islands every year on vacation. I highly recommend. We went to Wesley island, campsite D32. I highly HIGHLY recommend getting there if possible. Not far from the St. Lawrence river, great swimming, fishing and snorkeling. Alexandria bay is really nice and touristy, and Canada isn't far at all. I cant emphasize enough how enjoyable and scenic it is up there. I would love to take a trip in the next few years if am able to. Renting cabins there is also possible.

Where?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Many years ago, I camped out there once in the spring; before "tourist" season. Where I was, the water was crystal clear and cold and the owner of the site we stayed at let us take out his small boat. If I recall, there are many islands that people own and put up houses, cabins, shacks. The place was gorgeous.
It has been many years since I lived in New York state but the Thousand Islands is some place I would love to go back to if given the chance (and had the time) There are other awesome places in NY like Letchworth state Park and Watkins Glen.

A lot of my friends from CT used to vacation on Lake George and the Fingerlakes District (sp.?). My parents did a long weekend there once and loved it. That's not nearly as close to Canada as Thousand Islands. I had to look it up but it does look gorgeous up there and seems like a real nice vacation spot.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
A lot of my friends from CT used to vacation on Lake George and the Fingerlings District (or Lakes?). My parents did a long weekend there once and loved it. That's not nearly as close to Canada as Thousand Islands. I had to look it up but it does look gorgeous up there and seems like a real nice vacation spot.

Finger Lakes. Very nice as well.

"Fingerling Lakes".... :lol: I like that.

I haven't been up that way in forever. When I lived in NY I used to head upstate frequently, even if it was just to go skiing.

limblips

PREMO Member
I grew up in Northern NY. Spent many good times all along the St. Lawrence river and 1000 Islands. There is a lot to do but not the "Disney" type thing. Very good eateries (order Poutine if you've never had it), nice state campgrounds (most do not have water hookups!). The water is crystal clear and warm enough after the 4th of July for swimming. The castle tours are fun. My favorite thing is the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton,. The fishing is excellent!