Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiki Bar Bruhaha

Tiki Bar Bruhaha

This is pretty interesting and I don't even like the tiki bar, only been there once.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/41990...kend-incident/

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/41996...kend-incident/
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Sounds like the owner may have over-reacted. If you set dress-code policies, you should probably stand behind your staff if they enforce said policies.

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    Sounds like the owner may have over-reacted.
    Well, he is a convicted felon.
    Four (4) counts of; Reg Firearm-Unlawful Stale/Trans
    Seven (7) counts of; Assault-Second Degree

Anyway ..... seems to be a selectivity enforced policy.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    Sounds like the owner may have over-reacted. If you set dress-code policies, you should probably stand behind your staff if they enforce said policies.
    Yep.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Man, those are some strict dress code rules. I'm guessing he's trying to keep out the bikers and the black guys? Or just "gangs" in general?

What is an "a shirt"?

On another note, it's surprising (or maybe not) to see so much hostility toward military in the comments. Then there are the ones who are whining that "Terry cares more about making money than standing up for his employees..." Um, duh.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    What is an "a shirt"?
    You might know it as a wife beater. Not a 'T' (tee) shirt.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    You might know it as a wife beater. Not a 'T' (tee) shirt.
    Ahhh...thanks!

I had to look it up to see what the "a" stands for - I was thinking "ahole" but Wiki says "athletic". I'm guessing "wife beater" was too triggering.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Man, those are some strict dress code rules. I'm guessing he's trying to keep out the bikers and the black guys? Or just "gangs" in general?
    Some places just say 'no patches, no colors', same thing.

It's an attempt to avoid things like the biker shootout at the 'Twin Peaks' in TX last year.

What is an "a shirt"?
    wife-beater

What is an "a shirt"?

On another note, it's surprising (or maybe not) to see so much hostility toward military in the comments.
    I'm not sure that it's hostility toward the military. It might be more about the mood, by some, that "I served so the rules are optional for me". As a veteran I feel that veterans should be the first ones to be following a set of rules. Even if it's at the Tiki Bar. I feel that "The Owner" was just patronizing vets by firing his employees over this.
    Last edited by awpitt; 06-07-2017 at 10:03 AM.

According to an ex bartender that worked there for many years, in the past few years they have been getting a lot of motorcycle riders there from DC and Baltimore.

I expect the staff know most of the "locals" that hang out. But when you start getting groups of people hanging out that you don't know what they are bringing to your bar, I would feel safer knowing they have rules in place. It seems reasonable to have rules such as taking off vests and colors that apply to all.

Though I rarely go to the Tiki, I have been in their office, and one huge wall is covered with tv screens from the cameras they have through out the property. The exception is inside the rest rooms. Their security is better than most places and honestly, I would feel safer going there than any other bar I know of.

As far as the incident and the $hitstorm that followed, I wasn't there so my opinion would only be just that.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Members who have read this thread: 161