The beauty of Southern Maryland

I hope something like this isn't clogging the boards, but since I'm new, I just wanted to ask one question. Do SOMD natives realize how beautiful this area is?

I moved here eleven years ago, having been originally raised in the Baltimore area. Southern Maryland is so full of history it's amazing. The natural beauty of this area is unreal as well. In less than twenty minutes I can go from some of the best bass fishing in the nation to saltwater. I see osprey, bald eagles, and otters often. You have amazing old churches, Point Lookout and other great parks, and some amazing arcitecture.

Do y'all realize how good you have it? As a teacher many of the students talk about how they want to leave. I just don't get it. The economy is strong here, and although taxes are high, public services here are pretty good in comparison to other rural/suburban areas. I don't think I'll ever leave here, and my wife and soon to be child have a great place to live.

Anyway, it's good to be here, and I hope everyone had a good day in good old Southern Maryland!

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
welcome, yes i'm going on 40 years here. Stayed for a couple things, love my work on base, love the water and close enough to washington and baltimore to get culture when i need it. 90 % of resturants sux though ;-)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My family arrived in sothin Merlin in 1658. ;-) yep...it is still a beautiful place. But you should have seen it 50 years ago...

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
It's a wonderful place until the come heres think we do not know what a beautiful place it is and want to change it for us..

Leave us alone.
We still want to raise our families here.....which means we want to build houses.
We still want our families to work here...which means we want to start businesses
We still want our Religious freedom....which means get out of our Church
We still want to work the water..which means...let us harvest the crabs, oysters and fish you enjoy.
We still want to farm..which means let us grow crops without undo regulations
We still want to keep some of our income..which means we are tired of sending money to Baltimore
We still like the land we own...which means quit telling us what you can do with our property and what we can't
We want equal representation in Annapolis and Washington which means...quit gerrymandering us into oblivion

I have many more....I would like to see others add to this...goodnight

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
My family arrived in sothin Merlin in 1658. ;-) yep...it is still a beautiful place. But you should have seen it 50 years ago...

My wife called you a newcomer. My family might have been stowaways somewhere in that time frame.

littlelady

God bless the USA
It's a wonderful place until the come heres think we do not know what a beautiful place it is and want to change it for us..

Leave us alone.
We still want to raise our families here.....which means we want to build houses.
We still want our families to work here...which means we want to start businesses
We still want to work the water..which means...let us harvest the crabs, oysters and fish you enjoy.
We still want to farm..which means let us grow crops without undo regulations
We still want to keep some of our income..which means we are tired of sending money to Baltimore
We still like the land we own...which means quit telling us what you can do with our property and what we can't
We want equal representation in Annapolis and Washington which means...quit gerrymandering us into oblivion

I have many more....I would like to see others add to this...goodnight

I understand your complaints, but the people that move to SoMD are not doing the things you describe. It is Steny Hoyer, and the rest of the progbots; some of which live in SoMD. No matter where you live in MD, it sucks big time because the Dems are in control.

When we moved to Calvert (St. Leonard/Broomes Island side) in 1998, we bought a foreclosure that needed work. We improved the house, and left a 'beautiful place' for someone who bought it at the end of last year (he is a single middle aged Asian that works for USPS in WDC; interesting). We moved last October to be closer to fam, and grandchildren. And, dang it, we are back in Montgomery County. :boo: Hard to move from paradise in the woods on 5 acres with water access to a cesspool of traffic, rude people, and neighbors on top of each other. The thing I hate here, most, is some biz establishments think their employees don't need to speak English.

Funny story. The first time I went to the grocery store in PF (the one that was located where Green Turtle is now...and if someone remembers the name of that store, please let me know), a very elderly gentleman was my cashier. In my chatty way, I said we just moved here, and he said in a very grumpy voice...'go back where you came from'. :lol:

Last edited:

kom526

I understand your complaints, but the people that move to SoMD are not doing the things you describe.

Oh yeah they do.

We still want to raise our families here.....which means we want to build houses. But only where we say, and you have all these new codes and we will tell you what color your house can be and how tall your fence can be.
We still want our families to work here...which means we want to start businessesNOOO! We need a (insert chain store/restaurant here)
We still want to work the water..which means...let us harvest the crabs, oysters and fish you enjoy.But don't farm oysters from your pier or do any vertical leasing.
We still want to farm..which means let us grow crops without undo regulationsBut you cannot process meat on your farm that I CHOSE to move next to.
We still want to keep some of our income..which means we are tired of sending money to BaltimoreYes, we have infrastructure and recreation needs too.
We still like the land we own...which means quit telling us what you can do with our property and what we can'tSee #1 HOA nazis
We want equal representation in Annapolis and Washington which means...quit gerrymandering us into oblivionO'Malley just admitted to that under oath whereas Miller says, "Nope, can't remember a thing.

littlelady

God bless the USA
My wife called you a newcomer. My family might have been stowaways somewhere in that time frame.

When did your wife's family get to MD? It must have been prior to 1658. Is she of Native American descent? I am Native American on mother's side, but they were Shawnee out of Kansas.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Oh yeah they do.

We still want to raise our families here.....which means we want to build houses. But only where we say, and you have all these new codes and we will tell you what color your house can be and how tall your fence can be.
We still want our families to work here...which means we want to start businessesNOOO! We need a (insert chain store/restaurant here)
We still want to work the water..which means...let us harvest the crabs, oysters and fish you enjoy.But don't farm oysters from your pier or do any vertical leasing.
We still want to farm..which means let us grow crops without undo regulationsBut you cannot process meat on your farm that I CHOSE to move next to.
We still want to keep some of our income..which means we are tired of sending money to BaltimoreYes, we have infrastructure and recreation needs too.
We still like the land we own...which means quit telling us what you can do with our property and what we can'tSee #1 HOA nazis
We want equal representation in Annapolis and Washington which means...quit gerrymandering us into oblivionO'Malley just admitted to that under oath whereas Miller says, "Nope, can't remember a thing.

I don't get why y'all are equating every day people that move to SoMD for work or the beautifulness of it all to politicians. Sorry, I can be dense, sometimes.

What do you think of Steve Weems? His family has been in Calvert from way back, and his dad is writing a book about it.

kom526

I don't get why y'all are equating every day people that move to SoMD for work or the beautifulness of it all to politicians. Sorry, I can be dense, sometimes.

What do you think of Steve Weems? His family has been in Calvert from way back, and his dad is writing a book about it.

It is Steny Hoyer, and the rest of the progbots; some of which live in SoMD. No matter where you live in MD, it sucks big time because the Dems are in control.

You did the equating by mentioning Steny and Dem control. The folks that move here from NoVA, MoCo etc are the ones that keen and wail about not having a Whole Foods, Carabba's, Lululemon and Starbucks every 2.3 miles in SoMD. Then they B & M about farms and tractor on the roads and what time of day you can cut your grass etc then ordinances get enacted.

I don't live in Calvert so I really have no opinion of Steve Weems.

littlelady

God bless the USA
You did the equating by mentioning Steny and Dem control. The folks that move here from NoVA, MoCo etc are the ones that keen and wail about not having a Whole Foods, Carabba's, Lululemon and Starbucks every 2.3 miles in SoMD. Then they B & M about farms and tractor on the roads and what time of day you can cut your grass etc then ordinances get enacted.

I don't live in Calvert so I really have no opinion of Steve Weems.

OK. Thanks. Hit the reply button before done, so I edited. I am not one of 'those' people. I could give a crap about WF, SB, etc.; never set foot in any of them. I appreciated the beauty and peacefulness. I didn't mind being behind farmer Joe on his tractor. My point is that it is the politicians to a great extent. I would think that SoMD would appreciate the stimulation of it all. Can't rely on PAX alone. Many biz were struggling when we moved; Peebles, Payless, etc. This is the reverse of people moving out of major cities. I don't know if I am getting my point across, but I am trying.

Also, I am a simple southern girl raised on the bayou in LA. I moved to MD (Mont Cty in 1980) kicking and screaming because my x was dead set on working with his cuz. Well, that didn't turn out so well. I have the same mindset/heart as SoMDers. I love SoMD and miss it every day. :smile:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Welcome to the world. We had a layover in freaking Clanton, AL - population 8,000+- - and the motel owner (who was also our bartender) told us that there's a terrible drug problem in that town. In PCB, the drug dealers follow the spring breakers there to supply them with drugs (and shoot them if need be).

I was going to say a similar thing, but remembered I had Hankaroo on ignore. Dang it. Drugs are everywhere, and killing people at an alarming rate. Also, I remember that Hankaroo has a fam member with drug probs; so I don't see his slant on this. A boy my son grew up with died a month ago. We never got the facts, went to the funeral, sent flowers, but no one would talk about how he really died. He was drug free for a year and a half. I think he decided to do heroin which was laced with all the dumb lethal crap that dealers use to cut in now. Rest in peace, Anthony,

Hank

my war
I was going to say a similar thing, but remembered I had Hankaroo on ignore. Dang it. Drugs are everywhere, and killing people at an alarming rate. Also, I remember that Hankaroo has a fam member with drug probs; so I don't see his slant on this. A boy my son grew up with died a month ago. We never got the facts, went to the funeral, sent flowers, but no one would talk about how he really died. He was drug free for a year and a half. I think he decided to do heroin which was laced with all the dumb lethal crap that dealers use to cut in now. Rest in peace, Anthony,

You're an idiot. My slant on this? I commented on something I didn't like happening to a place that I like living. What does my family member that lives in Florida have to do with SoMd? I seem to remember your boy isn't anything to write home about.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
You're an idiot. My slant on this? I commented on something I didn't like happening to a place that I like living. What does my family member that lives in Florida have to do with SoMd?

I will answer you because I have that option to see your post. No, I am not an idiot. I have seen what you have posted since my time here starting in 2011, and beyond, BlackFrancis. One thing I know about you is that you attacked me early on, and yes, you are slanted, and think your poop doesn't stink. I am not an idiot, but you are arrogant, and don't stick by what you have posted before. You can move anywhere you want in America, and the drug problem is the same. You were ruthless when I outed that my wonderful son had a drug problem. You brought it up all the time; like a dog with a bone. You are a hypocrite. Plain and simple. I am glad I finally could say that to you. And, I am glad that I blocked you, so I wouldn't keep getting your ridiculous PM's saying 'I like you'. Actually, you are the idiot. Anything else you want to say, Hankaroo. I am here for you. :smile:

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Lol. Yeah..I guess my relatives wanted to be sure the first batch had gotten all the hardest work done already...