Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calvert County: Permit Needed for Sheds?

Calvert County: Permit Needed for Sheds?

Are permits required for sheds in Calvert County?

Looking to get a pre-built shed to where it will pretty much be dropped off. However, I'll probably have to get some leveling done.

Not running electric or water to it. Just a nice sized detached shed.

In Huntingtown.

Thank you all in advance!

I think if under 300 sq. ft. you should be okay. I would call planning and zoning and ask.

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken King View Post
    I think if under 300 sq. ft. you should be okay. I would call planning and zoning and ask.
    Screw that. Children ask for permission. Adults do not. A structure that is placed on your property, and is not permanent in nature, ie an onsite, stick built garage, attached to a concrete footer/foundation, requires no approval, regardless of size.
    You can even run water and electric if you wanted. People really need to stop feeling they need some allegiance to government.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

Screw that. Children ask for permission. Adults do not. A structure that is placed on your property, and is not permanent in nature, ie an onsite, stick built garage, attached to a concrete footer/foundation, requires no approval, regardless of size.
    You can even run water and electric if you wanted. People really need to stop feeling they need some allegiance to government.
    Wow! An internet anarchist.

5. 06-07-2017, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=waldorfman;5776304]Are permits required for sheds in Calvert County?

QUOTE]

I guess I need a deer fix. When I read the title I thought the query was about DNR requiring permits to possess shed antlers.
    I demand rights for left-handed people!

I called the office earlier - gave them my info and they said they'd call back. No one's called back yet. /sigh

However, I can't find anything in the County Codes that say I can't.

I could do the "easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission", but that would put the shed - or fines? - at risk.

Don't listen to LR. County can force you to remove an unpermitted structure. If you don't they will remove it for you and charge you for it (put a lien against your property). It will probably just be a fine if they find out, but a lot is at their discretion.

That said, I believe under 300sqft as noted above doesn't require any permitting/notification.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Don't listen to LR. County can force you to remove an unpermitted structure. If you don't they will remove it for you and charge you for it (put a lien against your property). It will probably just be a fine if they find out, but a lot is at their discretion.

That said, I believe under 300sqft as noted above doesn't require any permitting/notification.
    That's the thing, where is it in writing that 300 sq ft is the limit? Can't find that in the building codes.

Quote Originally Posted by waldorfman View Post
    That's the thing, where is it in writing that 300 sq ft is the limit? Can't find that in the building codes.
    You did the right thing calling planning and zoning. Call them back if they have not responded. You could also call MDIA since they do the inspections they know the code.

Thanks Clem and Ken.

Members who have read this thread: 63