Calvert County: Permit Needed for Sheds?

waldorfman

Are permits required for sheds in Calvert County?

Looking to get a pre-built shed to where it will pretty much be dropped off. However, I'll probably have to get some leveling done.

Not running electric or water to it. Just a nice sized detached shed.

In Huntingtown.

Thank you all in advance!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I think if under 300 sq. ft. you should be okay. I would call planning and zoning and ask.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I think if under 300 sq. ft. you should be okay. I would call planning and zoning and ask.

Screw that. Children ask for permission. Adults do not. A structure that is placed on your property, and is not permanent in nature, ie an onsite, stick built garage, attached to a concrete footer/foundation, requires no approval, regardless of size.
You can even run water and electric if you wanted. People really need to stop feeling they need some allegiance to government.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Screw that. Children ask for permission. Adults do not. A structure that is placed on your property, and is not permanent in nature, ie an onsite, stick built garage, attached to a concrete footer/foundation, requires no approval, regardless of size.
You can even run water and electric if you wanted. People really need to stop feeling they need some allegiance to government.

Wow! An internet anarchist.

waldorfman

I called the office earlier - gave them my info and they said they'd call back. No one's called back yet. /sigh

However, I can't find anything in the County Codes that say I can't.

I could do the "easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission", but that would put the shed - or fines? - at risk.

Clem72

Don't listen to LR. County can force you to remove an unpermitted structure. If you don't they will remove it for you and charge you for it (put a lien against your property). It will probably just be a fine if they find out, but a lot is at their discretion.

That said, I believe under 300sqft as noted above doesn't require any permitting/notification.

waldorfman

Don't listen to LR. County can force you to remove an unpermitted structure. If you don't they will remove it for you and charge you for it (put a lien against your property). It will probably just be a fine if they find out, but a lot is at their discretion.

That said, I believe under 300sqft as noted above doesn't require any permitting/notification.

That's the thing, where is it in writing that 300 sq ft is the limit? Can't find that in the building codes.

Clem72

That's the thing, where is it in writing that 300 sq ft is the limit? Can't find that in the building codes.

You did the right thing calling planning and zoning. Call them back if they have not responded. You could also call MDIA since they do the inspections they know the code.

Chris0nllyn

What permit would it be?

It's already built, so no building permit. No water or electric, so no plumbing or electric permit.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Don't listen to LR. County can force you to remove an unpermitted structure. If you don't they will remove it for you and charge you for it (put a lien against your property). It will probably just be a fine if they find out, but a lot is at their discretion. That said, I believe under 300sqft as noted above doesn't require any permitting/notification.

OMG! Really! It is a shed! An easily transportable shed that is placed on leveling cinder-blocks. Do you get a permit to place a camping trailer on your yard? Even for one of those huge fifth wheel travel trailers? The kind you could live in year round? No, you do not. Same with a shed. Un-permitted structures you are referring to is the kind that is built onsite, attached to the ground via a footer/foundation. Once it becomes "real estate" or a "real estate improvement", then you are kinda asking for trouble.

Real Estate: Land and anything fixed, immovable, or permanently attached to it such as appurtenances, buildings, fences, fixtures, improvements, roads, shrubs and trees (but not growing crops), sewers, structures, utility systems, and walls.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I understand the worry, but I don't think you need one. It's a shame the planning and zoning office couldn't tell you that over the phone. The building permit application has check boxes for a shed. Send it on in if it makes you feel more comfortable, though it may delay you getting your shed. http://www.co.cal.md.us/DocumentCenter/View/2741

Again ... OMG! It is considered a temporary, portable, structure! That permission slip you linked to is for permanent structures that are then used as part of the calculations for property taxes. JHFC! Just like mobile homes. They are not considered real estate until the home and land have been “legally joined” via legal paperwork, and the relinquishing of the home’s physical Title. Mobile, (manufactured) homes must be secured to a permanent foundation and are added to the real property’s legal description.
Unless you live in a HOA, or some other controlling type neighborhood with restrictions, you do not need anyone's permission to put a shed on your property. Are you going to permanently secure that shed to a foundation and make it part of the land? No, you are not. Why? because if you do, then your property taxes will reflect that new structure. Why do you think so many people get these sheds? Huge ones at that. Because they pay no property taxes on them and don't need any permission or permits to do so.
Good god, stop being that person seeking government approval for everything. That's why the country is in the shape it's in today. Stop living in fear of the boogie man in the government office.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Again ... OMG! It is considered a temporary, portable, structure! That permission slip you linked to is for permanent structures that are then used as part of the calculations for property taxes. JHFC! Just like mobile homes. They are not considered real estate until the home and land have been “legally joined” via legal paperwork, and the relinquishing of the home’s physical Title. Mobile, (manufactured) homes must be secured to a permanent foundation and are added to the real property’s legal description.
Unless you live in a HOA, or some other controlling type neighborhood with restrictions, you do not need anyone's permission to put a shed on your property. Are you going to permanently secure that shed to a foundation and make it part of the land? No, you are not. Why? because if you do, then your property taxes will reflect that new structure. Why do you think so many people get these sheds? Huge ones at that. Because they pay no property taxes on them and don't need any permission or permits to do so.
Good god, stop being that person seeking government approval for everything. That's why the country is in the shape it's in today. Stop living in fear of the boogie man in the government office.
If you think that a county agency wouldn't have the balls to say no to a shed why do you think that a home owners association would? I think this is more you know that a small shed doesn't require it and it makes you look like a keyboard warrior to act like an anarchist.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If you think that a county agency wouldn't have the balls to say no to a shed why do you think that a home owners association would?

Because it would be spelled out in the HOA's Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs) and bylaws. Something that every home owner that buys into a HOA must sign and agree to when they purchase the house.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

I understand your point, but that same form has check boxes for mobile homes as well.

If it's only for permanent stuff, why the check box for mobile homes?

Clem72

If you think that a county agency wouldn't have the balls to say no to a shed why do you think that a home owners association would? I think this is more you know that a small shed doesn't require it and it makes you look like a keyboard warrior to act like an anarchist.

Well, both of the HOA's that I have lived in here in SOMD had the same language regarding sheds.

""Free-Standing and Temporary Structures Prohibited", "no structure of a temporary character, and no tent, shed, shack, barn, pen; kennel, run, stable, or other such accessory or free-standing building shall be erected, used or maintained on any Lot at any time. All structures on a Lot
shall be structurally attached to the residence constructed on that Lot".

And HOAs are often full of self-entitled shet bags that have nothing better to do than measure your grass or time how long it takes you to bring your garbage cans in after collection.

waldorfman

Thank goodness I'm not in an HOA. So, I should be clear. Funny part is, I can't remember why I started to wonder about a permit in the first place.