Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas bans safest and most common abortion procedure after 13 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

I stand corrected. We've more in common than I thought.
    No worries
    Some folks just need a high-five. Some just need a high-five to the face.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I have regard for human life, but I also believe that alot more abortions should be done in the US.
    As ironic as your statement is, at least you're not ashamed to admit it.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

even the supreme court decided life begins at the moment of conception ...

you want abortion, fine that is your choice, but don't hide your actions behind friendly euphemisms to assuage your guilt
    OWN IT
    YOU want the right to murder your unborn child because its inconvenient or a girl ..... or whatever reason you can come up with
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

I feel that any woman who chooses to abort for no other reason than convenience, would make a ####ty parent anyway. We have enough ####ty parents to go around. Let them abort. I would wager to guess that we would see a drop in the prison population over time.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry...

#AryanLivesMatterMost

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    So you're pretty much a fountain of useless stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjo
    Or our you too freaking dense to see that?

Quote Originally Posted by PrchJrkr View Post
    I feel that any woman who chooses to abort for no other reason than convenience, would make a ####ty parent anyway. We have enough ####ty parents to go around. Let them abort. I would wager to guess that we would see a drop in the prison population over time.
    I can't get past knowing there is a human being butchered as a result.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

I have never understood this anti-abortion thing. Why do people care so much about something that has no direct bearing upon themselves?.
    Interesting. On this same board under this topic, we have a thread about a man killing another man while he was in the process of drowning his infant twins.
    Some even consider him a hero.

At issue is not "choice" or interfering with other's "rights" - it's at what point do we confer the same rights on the fetus as we do to those babies who are mere nine months older?
    IF you believe that it is committing murder then, like the man who shot the lunatic drowning his babies - you're doing the right thing.
    If you don't, THEN you are interfering with someone essentially picking a scab. That has always been at the root of the argument from the anti-abortion side - if it's murder, it must be stopped.

What I find exasperating is, THIS vital part of the issue is neatly sidestepped into any other set of issues but the one I DON'T get is - "choice".
    In my opinion, the father drowning his babies does NOT have a choice to kill them, although if you turned the clock back a few hundred years, he would be within his legal rights.
    If anyone's 'choice' is being thwarted, it's that of the child.

Now getting into the weeds - IF the discussion is, at what POINT does the fetus acquire "personhood" - I think we can agree that two seconds before birth, it's clearly a human being.
    My own son was born six weeks early - and he was a human being then as well.

On the other hand - two seconds AFTER conception, it's hard for me to regard a mass of cells as "human" - in which case I have less argument about it.

So if there's some inflection point BETWEEN - that's the gist of the argument.
    However the sides seem to be fixed on two extremes - the anti-abortion crowd want to set rights at conception, and the pro-abortion (sorry - that's what it is) crowd want it set at birth and in some cases, LATER than that.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by PrchJrkr View Post
    Perhaps - but - with the exception of children with severe special needs - and sadly, children of some minorities - there's a HUGE demand for children for childless couples in this country, and demand far exceeds supply.
    Couple that with people waiting longer for raising families, and that is a demand that is very likely to increase in the future.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post

On the other hand - two seconds AFTER conception, it's hard for me to regard a mass of cells as "human" - in which case I have less argument about it.

after a couple of weeks there is a heart beat, that mass of cells has its own unique dna .....
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    after a couple of weeks there is a heart beat, that mass of cells has its own unique dna .....
    I get this - and it seems to me that there's got to be some give on the concept somewhere.

You're familiar with the Laffer curve right? It's a simple idea - at one end of the curve - 0% taxation - and you get no revenue.
    At the other end - maximum taxation (not necessarily 100% but the point at which people will REFUSE to work if you take away enough of their money )- and you get no money either.

The OPTIMAL point then, is the inflection point - the point where revenue stops going up and starts going back down again.
    You could invoke Rolle's Theorem - it has to happen.

Same said here - if it's not "life" at conception - but we agree it IS life even a day or two before birth - then it happens SOMETIME in between.
    It has to. That's really plain logic.

NEITHER side wants to budge on this. I *cannot* agree it happens at *birth*, because birth is a somewhat arbitrary event - I myself was born two weeks early.
    Was I not human for those two weeks, because my scheduled departure date was later? It's clearly before but if this point is conceded then abortion supporters would have
    negotiate on the matter, and they don't want that at all - there have been cases argued that a child doesn't have a right to life until it LEAVES THE HOSPITAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    Do you always call fetuses children? That's a very odd colloquialism

The Mayo Clinic does. Do you know something they don't?
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Members who have read this thread: 64