Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas bans safest and most common abortion procedure after 13 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    Would a 13 week old fetus survive outside the womb ? No. So it's not a child or or anything other than a fetus.
    I'm sorry - are you suggesting one must be able to survive unaided in an environment we're not designed to survive in the definition of what makes us human? Are you saying what science calls a human is somehow subhuman?
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

I have never understood this anti-abortion thing. Why do people care so much about something that has no direct bearing upon themselves? So what if a woman wants to have an abortion, for whatever reason? If there was no agreement, in any stage of the relationship, between a man and a woman, as for wanting a child, and she gets pregnant and decides for an abortion, so what? Really? Why do so many people stick their hoity-toity myopic life views, religious or otherwise, in another person's life? I just don't get it. And don't care.
    If you knew children were being sucked into blenders, that wouldn't bother you? It bothers me, like any other murder. Humans deserve better treatment than that. We're not talking about someone who has been convicted of a heinous crime and are being killed humanely as a consequence of their actions, we're talking about babies being ground up because it's more convenient for the mother. Well, at least 90+% of abortions, anyway.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Flippant??? No not at all, I'm realistic.. who cares how someone gets pregnant, its not anybody's business but that woman.
    You can't Legislate morality...
    We do with murder already, this is just a particular type of murder.

We do with rape. I mean, "I can't see how it is any of my business if a woman gets raped. If you're not the one being raped, what business is it of yours? I just don't care." That is exactly the same as saying it is none of my business that a baby is being killed.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I get this - and it seems to me that there's got to be some give on the concept somewhere.

You're familiar with the Laffer curve right? It's a simple idea - at one end of the curve - 0% taxation - and you get no revenue.
    At the other end - maximum taxation (not necessarily 100% but the point at which people will REFUSE to work if you take away enough of their money )- and you get no money either.

The OPTIMAL point then, is the inflection point - the point where revenue stops going up and starts going back down again.
    You could invoke Rolle's Theorem - it has to happen.

Same said here - if it's not "life" at conception - but we agree it IS life even a day or two before birth - then it happens SOMETIME in between.
    It has to. That's really plain logic.

NEITHER side wants to budge on this. I *cannot* agree it happens at *birth*, because birth is a somewhat arbitrary event - I myself was born two weeks early.
    Was I not human for those two weeks, because my scheduled departure date was later? It's clearly before but if this point is conceded then abortion supporters would have
    negotiate on the matter, and they don't want that at all - there have been cases argued that a child doesn't have a right to life until it LEAVES THE HOSPITAL.
    I'm good with the Plan B pill. Pretty much anything beyond that - no.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Same said here - if it's not "life" at conception - but we agree it IS life even a day or two before birth - then it happens SOMETIME in between.
    It has to. That's really plain logic.

what is life and what is person hood .......
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    Would a 13 week old fetus survive outside the womb ? No. So it's not a child or or anything other than a fetus.
    A couple of questions:

1) Is that fetus human?

2) Is that fetus a life form?

Simple yes or no.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Perhaps - but - with the exception of children with severe special needs - and sadly, children of some minorities - there's a HUGE demand for children for childless couples in this country, and demand far exceeds supply.
    Couple that with people waiting longer for raising families, and that is a demand that is very likely to increase in the future.

There is a demand for white infants and babies, so many couples don't want to go through the States process of 3 months to over a year to jump through the hoops just to be approved to be a adoptive family and then get a child through the court system.
    So many go overseas and pay cash to expedite getting a white child.
    There's plenty of kids here, just not the type of kids that the mainstream are looking for.
    If for some reason abortions were outlawed again in the US within a short time period we again would have massive orphanages in every county of America with infants and babies being cared for by the State that no one would want..
    Just like it was when most of us were children.
    It's bull$hit to even think or say there would be a overwhelming amount of adoptive family a to adopt all the children that would be in the system..
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    A couple of questions:

1) Is that fetus human?

2) Is that fetus a life form?

Simple yes or no.
    I would suggest that you read " Roe ".....
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

You care to answer?
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

We do know that the SCOTUS has never had a bad decision affecting many, many lives. Plessy v. Ferguson, of course, still stands as the basis of how we treat school children, and Kelo was just outstanding law.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Members who have read this thread: 64