Citizens of 2nd, 9th Districts need to be informed of potential changes to your Fire/EMS Station

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
The following letter is posted on behalf of the undersigned...

In 2015, a proposed fire/rescue tax increase was considered but the request was rescinded by Company 6 after citizens input. Based on the concerns raised by the citizens, no public hearing was held and the tax increase request was cancelled.

Presently, Company 6 is proceeding with a design/construction plan of a new Fire/EMS station without a community hall. At this time it is unknown of what will happen with the old station but if they keep it, it will be cost prohibitive.

According to the budget submitted for FY 2018, Company 6 has notified the county commissioners of a planned tax increase request for FY 2019 for a new station.

The Company 6 FY2018 budget request specifically states " We are gearing up for a tax increase submittal in the Fiscal Year 2019 budget submittal process to help fund our new building project."

The community needs to be aware of a forthcoming fund drive for a new building fund. It can be interpreted that a donation received will be counted as approval of the construction of a new station. The fund is not likely to generate enough revenues to completely pay for a new Fire/EMS station. The only way they can proceed will be through the raising of your Fire and EMS taxes. This tax increase will possibly help make payments on the new station loans for the next 30/40 years.

The result of this maximum tax increase will negatively impact the ability to provide future Fire/EMS response equipment and emergency services.

There has been no evidence or information provided to date by Company 6 that indicates the Fire/EMS service will be improved to the community by having a new Fire/EMS station at the same approximate location as the existing station.

We just want you to be aware of possible fund donation solicitations and potential tax increase requests that are forthcoming.

Additionally, we the concerned citizens of 2nd and 9th District, find it disturbing that the majority of these discussions/proposals are not being made available to the citizens of the 2nd and 9th districts for their consideration prior to the commitment for long term payments by the community through a Fire/EMS tax increase.

If concerned or have any questions, please attend the public meetings at the fire station or contact the Concerned Citizens of 2nd and 9th Districts at concerncitizens2and9district@gmail.com or follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Concernedcitizensof2ndand9thdistrict-St-Marys-County-1572519312789805/

Thank you,
The Concerned Citizens of 2nd and 9th Districts, St. Mary's County

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
WTF? What kind of people are running that outfit? Children? The community failed to see what benefit a new firehouse would provide or what is wrong, if anything with the existing one....with it's nice community center.

Somebody wants a "shiny object" regardless of community benefit or input.

NTNG

WTF? What kind of people are running that outfit? Children? The community failed to see what benefit a new firehouse would provide or what is wrong, if anything with the existing one....with it's nice community center.

Exactly!

thatguy54

Absolutely. The membership voted it down and their building committee continues to push forward doing whatever they want with no repercussions or consequences for their actions. The any community member regardless of membership status can attend the business meetings held the second Wednesday of each month at 7pm. Make your voice heard YOUR tax dollars are going to support this organization, using that term very loosely here, regardless of what they seem to think the citizens who are paying the tax for the area should have a say.

Lewis_Skolnick

Their website says they have run 123 calls on the fire side of their operation and 234 calls on the EMS side. IMHO, run stats this low do not justify a multi-million dollar facility let alone the fact that they have problems with staffing. The run stats have not been updated since April. With that being said, if they can't keep their website updated what makes me believe they are going to keep a new facility in good working order. Furthermore, as a taxpayer in the 2nd election district I can not support an increase in the fire tax when I had to call 911 for EMS when a family member had a medical emergency and the only ambulance to show up was from Lexington Park. At first I thought maybe this was just an isolated incident but when I attended a breakfast held by the Auxiliary I found this to not be the case after talking to several neighbors that attended.

If the Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad Management does not see the need for a Social Hall/Community Center they are sadly mistaking. It seems as though the only time most see any activity at the firehouse is when the Auxiliary is having some sort of function or event. Cutting this out would be a poor business decision. That only leads one to believe that this organization is being run by a group of individuals that do not have the knowledge or experience to be running this type of business. Makes me wonder if the leaders of this department really have the best interest of the community they serve in mind, or is it just for personal satisfaction.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Their website says they have run 123 calls on the fire side of their operation and 234 calls on the EMS side. IMHO, run stats this low do not justify a multi-million dollar facility let alone the fact that they have problems with staffing. The run stats have not been updated since April. With that being said, if they can't keep their website updated what makes me believe they are going to keep a new facility in good working order. Furthermore, as a taxpayer in the 2nd election district I can not support an increase in the fire tax when I had to call 911 for EMS when a family member had a medical emergency and the only ambulance to show up was from Lexington Park. At first I thought maybe this was just an isolated incident but when I attended a breakfast held by the Auxiliary I found this to not be the case after talking to several neighbors that attended.

If the Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad Management does not see the need for a Social Hall/Community Center they are sadly mistaking. It seems as though the only time most see any activity at the firehouse is when the Auxiliary is having some sort of function or event. Cutting this out would be a poor business decision. That only leads one to believe that this organization is being run by a group of individuals that do not have the knowledge or experience to be running this type of business. Makes me wonder if the leaders of this department really have the best interest of the community they serve in mind, or is it just for personal satisfaction.

Okay? So when are you planning to sign up and volunteer for the rescue squad or VFD? It's easy to criticize from the sidelines.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Okay? So when are you planning to sign up and volunteer for the rescue squad or VFD? It's easy to criticize from the sidelines.

What does that have to do with 2D wanting a new building "just because"?..you know..the OP.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If the Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad Management does not see the need for a Social Hall/Community Center they are sadly mistaking..

Of course they "see the need" for that. That's why the left-handed and, frankly, despicable attempt to move forward with their precious Taj Mahal plans uses the "community center" as a hostage.

Lewis_Skolnick

I am a retired career fireman with 28 years of service with the Philadelphia Fire Department on top of serving as a volley with numerous departments for 43 years. So, to ask when I plan on signing up... I have already done my time. To say its easy for me to criticize from the sidelines, I have held positions from back step fireman (which is the best especially when we were allowed to ride the tailboard) to Chief and on to President. Criticizing is not what I am doing. I have worked with departments that barely had enough money to keep fuel in the apparatus so the thought of a new station was not even in our dreams. Men and women of the fire service should always put the community they serve above themselves. It is not about how big and new your house is, it is about being there when your community needs you and to put the damn fire out!! The Second District Fire Department should be more worried about fixing the problems they have in-house, as I've been told by some of their members, before they try to cover them with the likes of a fancy new station at the taxpayers expense. I guess I am just "Old School"

stgislander

PREMO Member
I am a retired career fireman with 28 years of service with the Philadelphia Fire Department on top of serving as a volley with numerous departments for 43 years. So, to ask when I plan on signing up... I have already done my time. To say its easy for me to criticize from the sidelines, I have held positions from back step fireman (which is the best especially when we were allowed to ride the tailboard) to Chief and on to President. Criticizing is not what I am doing. I have worked with departments that barely had enough money to keep fuel in the apparatus so the thought of a new station was not even in our dreams. Men and women of the fire service should always put the community they serve above themselves. It is not about how big and new your house is, it is about being there when your community needs you and to put the damn fire out!! The Second District Fire Department should be more worried about fixing the problems they have in-house, as I've been told by some of their members, before they try to cover them with the likes of a fancy new station at the taxpayers expense. I guess I am just "Old School"

You forgot to end with "mic drop".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Nailed it.:yay:

awpitt

Main Streeter

Well, thank you for you long service and devotion. This just furthers my notion that the Second District Fire Department could use someone like you. Maybe not going on runs but even as a consultant basis to maybe help them get their priorities in order.