Deuteronomy 8 Another Miracle

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 8:1 Be careful to follow every command I am giving you today, so that you may live and increase and may enter and possess the land the Lord promised on oath to your ancestors. 2 Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. 3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. 4 Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these forty years. 5 Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the Lord your God disciplines you.​

I love coming to this miracle. It's tucked in the middle of all the exhortations about what God wanted the Israelites to keep in mind while they readied to battle the giants. There it is, a little miracle tucked in verse 4.

They wore the same clothes for 40 years..... the clothes didn't wear out.... can you imagine? I don't know about anyone else... but when I'm going on a trip I generally choose comfortable clothes for the trip. A favorite pair of jeans and shirt would be comfortable and look right. My favorite clothes generally wear out.... the clothes the Israelites wore in the desert kept their shape, color, and fit for forty years! The Israelites didn't have a Walmart down the road so it's a good thing that God made sure they had comfortable clothes to wear while wandering the desert.

Oh and their feet didn't swell.... Oh what a luxury that would be. I'm over retirement age now and my feet swell all the time! It's a pain.... it's hard to walk even though walking is a good way to relieve the swelling.

What a great miracle.....even though none of the commentaries make a big deal out of it.....

Here's the commentary from easy English this morning.

Moses reminded the Israelites about what God had done in the past. Then he told them what God would do in the future. When they were in the desert, God taught them to trust him. He wanted to take away their pride, so he allowed them to have difficulties. He wanted to see if they would really trust him. Manna was the food that Numbers 11:8-9 mentions. God gave that food to them every day. Without it, they had nothing to eat. But God taught them that they needed more than food in order to live.

We all need God to speak to us and to feed our spirits. The main way that God speaks is by means of the Bible. One day, the devil tempted Jesus. Then Jesus used this verse to answer the devil. Jesus was hungry. So the devil suggested that Jesus should change stones into bread. Jesus said that he needed God to speak to him. That was more important for him than food. (See Matthew 4:4.)

Moses reminded the Israelites about other things. Their clothes did not wear out and their feet did not suffer. But God did allow them to suffer sometimes, just as a parent punishes his child. God did that so that they would learn lessons. The Israelites should obey God and they should fear him. God would bring them into a country with plenty of water. The land would produce many crops, and they would have enough to eat. There would be plenty of iron and red metal. They should thank God. And they should enjoy what he had given to them.

God tests our faith by events that happen in our lives. He also gives to us everything to enjoy. (See 1 Timothy 6:17.)

Last edited: