Deuteronomy 9 Not because of you

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 9:1 Hear, Israel: You are now about to cross the Jordan to go in and dispossess nations greater and stronger than you, with large cities that have walls up to the sky. 2 The people are strong and tall—Anakites! You know about them and have heard it said: “Who can stand up against the Anakites?” 3 But be assured today that the Lord your God is the one who goes across ahead of you like a devouring fire. He will destroy them; he will subdue them before you. And you will drive them out and annihilate them quickly, as the Lord has promised you.

4 After the Lord your God has driven them out before you, do not say to yourself, “The Lord has brought me here to take possession of this land because of my righteousness.” No, it is on account of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord is going to drive them out before you. 5 It is not because of your righteousness or your integrity that you are going in to take possession of their land; but on account of the wickedness of these nations, the Lord your God will drive them out before you, to accomplish what he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. 6 Understand, then, that it is not because of your righteousness that the Lord your God is giving you this good land to possess, for you are a stiff-necked people.​

This is from the easy English site.

Moses told the Israelites that their enemies would oppose them. However, God was stronger than their enemies. God would defeat those enemies as easily as a fire burns a piece of land. However, God did not do that because the Israelites were good. God was forcing out the people in the country because they were wicked people. He was doing it too, because of his promise to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. God said that he would give the country to his people, the Israelites. However, his people were not good. Often they did not obey God. They would not change the way that they behaved.

Well, I am curious about the Anakites. I know they have come up before and when I googled them I didn't see Nephilim as expected. Here's what I found at the gotquestions site.

The name “Anakim” most likely means “long-necked,” i.e., “tall.” The Hebrews thought them to be descendants of the Nephilim, a powerful race who dominated the pre-Flood world (Genesis 6:4; Numbers 13:33). When the twelve Israelite spies returned from exploring the Promised Land, they gave a frightening report of “people great and tall” whom they identified as the sons of Anak (Deuteronomy 9:2). The Israelites, seized with fear and believing themselves to be mere “grasshoppers . . . in their sight” (Numbers 13:33), rebelled against God (Deuteronomy 1:26-28) and refused to enter the land God had promised them.​

So we've been able to trace most of the people who came up against the Israelites so far. It turns out I found a video about the anakites.

[video=youtube;hkwWROTullE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwWROTullE[/video]

So these Anakites had to be defeated by God not by the Israelites. Remember.... the grapes were so large they had to be carried on a pole!

:coffee:

Last edited:

seekeroftruth

http://biblehub.net/search.php?q=anakiteshttp://biblehub.net/search.php?q=anakites

Deuteronomy 9:2 The people are strong and tall--Anakites! You know ...
The people are strong and tall--Anakites! You know ...

Joshua 15:14 From Hebron Caleb drove out the three Anakites ...
From Hebron Caleb drove out the three Anakites--Sheshai,
Ahiman and Talmai, the sons of Anak. ...

Deuteronomy 2:21 They were a people strong and numerous, and as ...
They were a people strong and numerous, and as tall as the Anakites. ... They
were also as strong and numerous and tall as the Anakites. ...

Deuteronomy 2:10 (The Emites used to live there--a people strong ...
(The Emites used to live there--a people strong and
numerous, and as tall as the Anakites. ...

Deuteronomy 2:11
Like the Anakites, they too were considered ...

Like the Anakites, they too were considered Rephaites,
but the Moabites called them Emites. ...

Joshua 11:22 No Anakites were left in Israelite territory; only in ...
No Anakites were left in Israelite territory; only
in Gaza, Gath and Ashdod did any survive. ...

Joshua 11:21 At that time Joshua went and destroyed the Anakites ...
At that time Joshua went and destroyed the Anakites from the hill country: from
Hebron, Debir and Anab, from all the hill country of Judah, and from all the ...

Joshua 14:12 Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised ...
You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large
and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said ...

Joshua 14:15 (Hebron used to be called Kiriath Arba after Arba ...
(Hebron used to be called Kiriath Arba after Arba, who was the greatest
man among the Anakites.) Then the land had rest from war. ...

Deuteronomy 1:28 Where can we go? Our brothers have made our ...
up to the sky. We even saw the Anakites there.'" ...

Judges 1:20 As Moses had promised, Hebron was given to Caleb, who ...
Caleb received Hebron, just as Moses had promised. He drove out the three Anakites. ...

Gee thanks but I was being rhetorical... lol I've been trying to show the family lines, like how are these people related to Noah. ;)

Good to see you back!

:coffee:

Last edited: