Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Comey Unmasked

  1. #11
    Main Streeter awpitt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Location
    St. Mary's County
    Posts
    9,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Here we go... education time.

    It was an official document he wrote in the capacity of doing his job. All documents and effects that occur in specific relation to a government worker's job becomes the property of the government. This was no personal "we played golf and Trump won" memo. This was specifically written to document an official meeting between Comey and Trump.

    He is not authorized to LEAK this information outside of the any government agency without getting permission. THIS MEMO DID NOT BELONG TO COMEY.
    Yes, education time.......

    In a statement later, Kasowitz called Comey's decision to share the memo with someone outside the Department of Justice "an unauthorized disclosure of privileged information." "We will leave it to the appropriate authorities to determine whether this leaks should be investigated along with all those others being investigated," Kasowitz said.

    But legal experts broadly agree that Comey's disclosure of the memo did not constitute a "leak" because it did not contain classified information, and he was a private citizen when he shared it.
    "Executive privilege almost certainly does not cover the Comey memo," Steve Vladeck, a professor of law at the University of Texas School of Law specializing in national security, wrote on Friday. "And even if it did, disclosing it without authorization isn’t illegal."

    Vladeck said executive privilege is meant to be used as a defense, not a weapon, and to protect government officials from being forced to share internal White House communications with outside entities. But officials who want to share those communications can't be stopped by an invocation of executive privilege alone.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/were-...l-memos-2017-6
    Last edited by awpitt; 06-12-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    .
    .

    .

  2. #12
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    32,565
    Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Comey didn't "leak" anything. They were his memos. He wrote them. His content. He could do whatever he wanted to do with them.
    they why the subterfuge with the 'friend'


    However, the clearest violation came in the days following his termination. Comey admits that he gave the damaging memos to a friend at Columbia Law School with the full knowledge that the information would be given to the media. It was a particularly curious moment for a former director who was asked by the president to fight the leakers in the government. He proceeded in becoming one of the most consequential leakers against Trump.

    Comey said that he took these actions days after his termination, when he said that he woke up in the middle of the night and realized suddenly that the memos could be used to contradict Trump. It was a bizarrely casual treatment of material that would be viewed by many as clearly FBI information. He did not confer with the FBI or the Justice Department. He did not ask for any classification review despite one of the parties described being the president of the United States. He simply sent the memos to a law professor to serve as a conduit to the media.

    As a threshold matter, Comey asked a question with regard to Trump that he should now answer with regard to his own conduct. Comey asked why Trump would ask everyone to leave the Oval Office to speak with Comey unless he was doing something improper. Yet, Trump could ask why Comey would use a third party to leak these memos if they were his property and there was nothing improper in their public release.

    In fact, there was a great deal wrong with their release, and Comey likely knew it. These were documents prepared on an FBI computer addressing a highly sensitive investigation on facts that he considered material to that investigation. Indeed, he conveyed that information confidentially to his top aides and later said that he wanted the information to be given to the special counsel because it was important to the investigation.

    http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...st-james-comey

    Gov. Property .... NOT comeys to Publish or give to someone else to hand off to a 3rd party to publish


    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...aking-improper

    1. What Is a ‘Leak’?

    Strangely, there seems to be some dispute about what a “leak” is. In the context of government information, it is when a public official who has access to non-public information discloses the information to a person not authorized to have it — frequently, a member of the press. The official has gotten access to the information because he either is authorized to handle it or has obtained unauthorized access to it by gaining access — legitimately or otherwise — to the place where it is stored. Information is deemed “non-public” if the government has never officially disclosed it. That is, even though a prior leak may have publicized a piece of information, the government still considers that information non-public if it has not been publicly confirmed by an official authorized to do so.

    To be clear, the leak is the transmission of the information from the public official to the person not authorized to have it. The publication of leaked information by the press is not a leak — it is the result of a leak. Press publication is generally thought to be protected by the First Amendment. (There is some scholarly dispute about whether the media could be liable for receiving and publishing certain kinds of information, such as national-defense information.)
    Last edited by GURPS; 06-12-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  3. #13
    Registered User Midnightrider's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NU
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Here we go... education time.

    It was an official document he wrote in the capacity of doing his job. All documents and effects that occur in specific relation to a government worker's job becomes the property of the government. This was no personal "we played golf and Trump won" memo. This was specifically written to document an official meeting between Comey and Trump.

    He is not authorized to LEAK this information outside of the any government agency without getting permission. THIS MEMO DID NOT BELONG TO COMEY.
    As i said from the beginning, i think these memos are government property and should have stayed at the FBI. I memories of conversation comey and trump had are a different story, but the memos were not his. In other words, I think he can share the conversations, but not the memos.

    However, this is a tricky situation for trumpers. If you claim that Comey leaked government documents you elevate them to probative automatically. You are essentially validating them by saying that they belong to the government. If they are just comey's personal memos it much easier to explain them away as the product of a vindictive employee.
    "once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"-TGD

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Yes, education time.......

    But legal experts broadly agree that Comey's disclosure of the memo did not constitute a "leak" because it did not contain classified information, and he was a private citizen when he shared it.
    "Executive privilege almost certainly does not cover the Comey memo," Steve Vladeck, a professor of law at the University of Texas School of Law specializing in national security, wrote on Friday. "And even if it did, disclosing it without authorization isn’t illegal."
    http://www.businessinsider.com/were-...l-memos-2017-6
    I'd say those unnamed "legal experts" don't know what they're talking about. It does not have to be classified in order to constitute a leak. The information (the memo) is government property and cannot be publically divulged without proper authorization. Comey cannot, on his own, make that decision. It doesn’t matter if he was a private citizen when he leaked it. It was still government property.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  5. #15
    And here's another interesting thing about this leaked memo.

    Comey testified that he decided to leak the memo after Trump tweeted their coversation might have been recorded. Trump's tweet was on May 12th. Contents of the memo were published in the NYT on May 11th. Comey may have perjured himself.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  6. #16
    Main Streeter awpitt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Location
    St. Mary's County
    Posts
    9,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    I'd say those unnamed "legal experts" don't know what they're talking about. It does not have to be classified in order to constitute a leak. The information (the memo) is government property and cannot be publically divulged without proper authorization. Comey cannot, on his own, make that decision. It doesn’t matter if he was a private citizen when he leaked it. It was still government property.
    Than why hasn't he been charged? The contents of the memos were released a month ago. Plenty of time to bring up charges. So, why? no charges? Because what he did wasn't illegal. Otherwise, there would been charges by now.
    .
    .

    .

  7. #17
    Registered User Midnightrider's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NU
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    And here's another interesting thing about this leaked memo.

    Comey testified that he decided to leak the memo after Trump tweeted their coversation might have been recorded. Trump's tweet was on May 12th. Contents of the memo were published in the NYT on May 11th. Comey may have perjured himself.
    if you read the story from the 11th there is no mention of the memo. The NYT says they had 2 sources that described the conversations. I think it is plausible that comey told people his story, OR that people still at FBI had access to copies of the memos
    "once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"-TGD

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Than why hasn't he been charged? The contents of the memos were released a month ago. Plenty of time to bring up charges. So, why? no charges? Because what he did wasn't illegal. Otherwise, there would been charges by now.
    Good question. We only learned that Comey leaked the memo during his testimony. The wheels of government move slowly. A lot of people talked about whether it was legal or not over the weekend. I can only tell you from where I sit, I cannot draft a document on a government machine and claim it's mine to do with what I want. Even the most innocuous information is still government property. Now, I could delete it after creating it, and no one will likely ever know the difference. However, if decided to do a search on my computer and find documents that were deleted, they're going to want to know who authorized me to delete them. If i can't justify their deletion, I could be charged with a crime for tampering with evidence and mishandling government information.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightrider View Post
    if you read the story from the 11th there is no mention of the memo. The NYT says they had 2 sources that described the conversations. I think it is plausible that comey told people his story, OR that people still at FBI had access to copies of the memos
    Are you even putting the dots together?

    Comey drafts a memo. He admits he wrote this memo, and he admits leaking it to his friend with the intent of leaking it to the media. Low and behold the information that is in this memo shows in the NYT. You just admitted it showed up in the NYT a day before Trump's tweet, discrediting Comey's claim that he leaked it after Trump's tweet. And Comey even testified that he gave a copy of the memo to his friend.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  10. #20
    Main Streeter awpitt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Location
    St. Mary's County
    Posts
    9,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    And here's another interesting thing about this leaked memo.

    Comey testified that he decided to leak the memo after Trump tweeted their coversation might have been recorded. Trump's tweet was on May 12th. Contents of the memo were published in the NYT on May 11th. Comey may have perjured himself.
    Actually, Trump tweeted about the tapes on May 12th. The memos were revealed by the NYT on May 16th.
    .
    .

    .

Members who have read this thread: 50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |