Turn signal laws

softtouch

Are turn signals required by law. even when no one needs to be signaled as to what your intentions are?
There was an article in the Calvert Recorder about a Deputy pulling over a known drug dealer on Thunderbird Drive in the CRE.
The justification for making the stop was, failure to use the turn signal when turning right from Town Square Drive onto Gunsmoke Trail.
Town Square dead ends at Gunsmoke. It is a three way stop at a T intersection.
Town Square is a four lane divided road. Gunsmoke is a two lane road.
On Town Square, you are either in the right turn or the left turn lane.

Attachments

• Town Square Drive.pdf
    635.8 KB · Views: 1,065

SamSpade

Are turn signals required by law. even when no one needs to be signaled as to what your intentions are?.

It's like that joke about what do you call a dog with no legs?
It doesn't matter, because he won't come if you call him.

Turn signal laws only appear to matter if someone is willing to enforce them, because from my last several times out driving - it doesn't seem like ANYONE uses them.

My favorite place to watch this crap is the parking lot in front of Giant. This weekend I began to "pull through" my parking space as I was leaving, because the space in front of me was open.
I had moved about eight feet when I almost hit someone head on who tried to pull into it from the other side - full speed without looking.
As I got out of there, nearly hit a few cars because they were turning either from the wrong lane - and did not signal - or DID turn into the parking lot - but did not signal.
Heading to 235 - nearly cut off by someone crossing over from Burger King side over to the Giant side - an illegal maneuver I have not failed to witness on my last 10 visits.

And don't get me started on the nitwits running the left turn going south on St Andrew's Church road.

My general thought about it is - if a cop was parked nearby - and there were no cars in sight for miles - would you still run a stop sign or red light?
Would you still do it anyway?

I always signal - because I've been pulled over - and given warnings - for such minor infractions.

I suspect it's always the law, it's just not worth it to cops to enforce it - unless of course, they have good reason to suspect something else is afoot.

Chris0nllyn

Those reports are often times a joke and don't tell anyone anything about what happened during the stop.

There's been a few that essentially said "Officer So-and-so stopped Jim Bob for a traffic violation. Officer so-and-so detected a strong odor of marijuana. A search revealed two pills."

There's tons of laws available at the cop's disposal. If they want to pull someone over, they will.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Are turn signals required by law. even when no one needs to be signaled as to what your intentions are?
There was an article in the Calvert Recorder about a Deputy pulling over a known drug dealer on Thunderbird Drive in the CRE.
The justification for making the stop was, failure to use the turn signal when turning right from Town Square Drive onto Gunsmoke Trail.
Town Square dead ends at Gunsmoke. It is a three way stop at a T intersection.
Town Square is a four lane divided road. Gunsmoke is a two lane road.
On Town Square, you are either in the right turn or the left turn lane.
The use of turn signals is required by MD law; though not stringently enforced.
To your question, it's just good practice to use turn signals, even if you are the only car on the road for miles; because the one time you don't signal, Murphy will rear his head and something not good is gonna happen. JMHO

Seems to me, in one of the many iterations of this topic, it was determined that signaling to change lanes was not required. Don't remember about full right/left turns.

That said, I always signal. I just assume the other driver won't signal and am ready to react.

And Giant parking lot.... don't get me started. Seems common sense is required to be left somewhere else when you enter that lot. I was on First Colony heading for 235. Someone waiting to pull out of Giant. I get about 50' from the intersection and this bozo pulls out. Right in front of me. SLOWLY....... Then stops dead, right in the middle of my travel lane. WTF ?! I had eyes on, so had plenty of time to stop. This person then tries to back up, and can't because the person following had already pulled forward. I'm just SMH.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Seems to me, in one of the many iterations of this topic, it was determined that signaling to change lanes was not required. Don't remember about full right/left turns.

That said, I always signal. I just assume the other driver won't signal and am ready to react.

And Giant parking lot.... don't get me started. Seems common sense is required to be left somewhere else when you enter that lot. I was on First Colony heading for 235. Someone waiting to pull out of Giant. I get about 50' from the intersection and this bozo pulls out. Right in front of me. SLOWLY....... Then stops dead, right in the middle of my travel lane. WTF ?! I had eyes on, so had plenty of time to stop. This person then tries to back up, and can't because the person following had already pulled forward. I'm just SMH.
The best; albeit not the easiest thing to do, is take your time; leave plenty of room in front of you etc., etc., and don't be bothered by the car behind you riding your a** and/or leaning on the horn. If they're in that big of a hurry, they can go around. If they rear-end you.....well, first they'll hear, 'DON'T TOUCH ME!' "Just call 9-1-1", then they will be buying you a new car, and paying your medical bills.

glhs837

Power with Control

Not sure why I don't have an aneurysm from this sort of stuff. Was going down 235 SB as the church south of San Souci was letting out. Three cars clogging up the center median turn area side by side, and literally two more cars lined up behind the center one, blocking two of the three travel lanes SB........... WHAT THE FLYING HELL?????!!!!!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2822496,-76.4711365,213m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Grumpy

There's tons of laws available at the cop's disposal. If they want to pull someone over, they will.

Exactly..I was pulled over about 15 years ago for failure to signal when I was in the right turn only lane. Asked the cop why did I have to signal when the only place this lane was going was right. He said you still have to signal, which made no sense to me, but I wasn't going to argue with him. Got a warning cuz I think he saw my point, but who knows.

SamSpade

That said, I always signal. I just assume the other driver won't signal and am ready to react..

I used to live up in PG County and I often drove to work in dim light - without headlights on.
A friend of mine asked why I didn't turn them on. "I don't need them to see the road - I can see it just fine".

He answered - "it's not so YOU can see - it's so others can see YOU - you've seen how they drive around here - do you really trust the way these idiots drive and bet your life on it?".

So that's my general rule when I drive - drive as though you EXPECT the other person to do the stupidest thing imaginable.
You won't be disappointed.

luvmygdaughters

The best; albeit not the easiest thing to do, is take your time; leave plenty of room in front of you etc., etc., and don't be bothered by the car behind you riding your a** and/or leaning on the horn. If they're in that big of a hurry, they can go around. If they rear-end you.....well, first they'll hear, 'DON'T TOUCH ME!' "Just call 9-1-1", then they will be buying you a new car, and paying your medical bills.

I try to leave at least a car length between me and the car traveling in front of me, but, invariably, some jerkwad will squeeze into that space causing him/her to step on their brakes and me having to back it up some more.

SamSpade

I try to leave at least a car length between me and the car traveling in front of me, but, invariably, some jerkwad will squeeze into that space causing him/her to step on their brakes and me having to back it up some more.

I've found that the old rule of thumb regarding space between you and the car in front of you - so many car lengths for each 10mph - doesn't mean anything.
If the motorists refuse to let you do it, all you're doing is slowing down traffic behind you, because if you can't leave a gap, there's no sense in trying.

hitchicken

Dash cams (front & rear). ALWAYS use your turn signals and headlights. ALWAYS drive with courtesy & care. Practice holding the back of your neck and moaning. You WILL win the ghetto lottery.

Restitution

Heading to 235 - nearly cut off by someone crossing over from Burger King side over to the Giant side - an illegal maneuver I have not failed to witness on my last 10 visits.

This reminds me of the no U-turn sign that used to be at the Chancellor's Run/235 intersection. People used to blow through it and make the U-turn to get to Nicolleti's or ABC all the time. Seems like they just got fed up with enforcing it and took the sign down!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Here is the text of the law -
§ 21-604. Turning, slowing, and stopping movements; required signals

(a) Manner of making turn. -- A person may not turn a vehicle at an intersection, unless the vehicle is in the position required by § 21-601 of this subtitle.

(b) Entering private roads or driveways. -- A person may not turn a vehicle to enter a private road or driveway or otherwise turn a vehicle from a direct course or move it right or left on a roadway or from a shoulder or bikeway onto a roadway, unless the movement can be made with reasonable safety.

(c) Required signals. -- A person may not, if any other vehicle might be affected by the movement, turn a vehicle until he gives an appropriate signal in the manner required by this subtitle.

(d) Where signals to be given. -- When required, a signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously during at least the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning; except that a bicyclist may interrupt the turning signal to maintain control of the bicycle.

(e) Stopping or decreasing speed. -- If there is an opportunity to signal, a person may not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle until he gives an appropriate signal in the manner required by this subtitle to the driver of any other vehicle immediately to the rear.

(f) Use of signal lamps. -- The signals provided for in § 21-605 (b) and (c) of this subtitle:

(1) May be used to indicate an intention to turn, change lanes, or start from a stopped, standing, or parked position; and

(2) May not be flashed as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear.
Now, what the underlined, bold text means seems pretty subjective to me as to what "might" affect another vehicle.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I seldom, if ever, engage a turn signal when I'm in a "turn only" designated lane. There is no point. If the driver behind me does not know I'm turning, he's in the wrong lane anyway and needs to pull out.

SamSpade

I seldom, if ever, engage a turn signal when I'm in a "turn only" designated lane. There is no point. If the driver behind me does not know I'm turning, he's in the wrong lane anyway and needs to pull out.

I just do it instinctively because I am too scatterbrained when I am driving to stop and make the distinction.

DEEKAYPEE8569

If you think about it, if you are merging into a left turn only lane; to use your example; all you need to do is what I call "blip" the turn signal. 'sides that.....most of the newer cars now have that feature. Tap the turn signal lever; without fully engaging it; ie; 'when you hear the 'click;' and the signal blinks 2-4 times, give or take a blink.

softtouch

Here is the text of the law -
Now, what the underlined, bold text means seems pretty subjective to me as to what "might" affect another vehicle.
Thank you Ken. You can always be counted to come up with the facts of the law.
When I started driving, most cars did not have electric signals. You had to stick your arm out the window.
(e) Stopping or decreasing speed.-- Do you think anyone would know what I was doing if I gave the hand signal for this?