Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Teacher Suspended After Pro-Trump High School Yearbook Photos Altered

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I'm not sure that, on this, I'm entirely against the school. They should not have altered the pics.
    But I am not sure they should have allowed them to be taken, either.

I guess it depends in the setting of the picture ...... the 'class' or individual photos maybe not
    [but then you would have to restrict ALL tee shirts with sayings]
    my year books were also filled with 'in the hall or lunch room' photos ..... at that point you could catch students wearing most anything
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

I'm not sure that, on this, I'm entirely against the school. They should not have altered the pics.

A yearbook is an inappropriate place to have political material. It's about school and school memories.
    If I recall correctly, MY schools DID review pics that were to go in and re-took pics or otherwise blocked the publishing
    of pics that said certain things. (My senior yearbook DID however miss ME subtly flipping the bird in a group pic).

Vulgar material - or suggestive T-shirt slogans (two ACTUAL shirts from my school days - a pizza place that prominently said "The best piece" right on the front, and a hot dog place that boasted on its shirts "the best meat between the buns") were not allowed. But that went for gestures (ha!) and even slogans on shirts. (Gang signs weren't a "thing" then).
    Totally agree. My high school screened pictures as well. Didn't let yearbooks be cheapened by politics, vulgarity, etc.

A yearbook is an inappropriate place to have political material. It's about school and school memories.
    If I recall correctly, MY schools DID review pics that were to go in and re-took pics or otherwise blocked the publishing
    of pics that said certain things. (My senior yearbook DID however miss ME subtly flipping the bird in a group pic).

Vulgar material - or suggestive T-shirt slogans (two ACTUAL shirts from my school days - a pizza place that prominently said "The best piece" right on the front, and a hot dog place that boasted on its shirts "the best meat between the buns") were not allowed. But that went for gestures (ha!) and even slogans on shirts. (Gang signs weren't a "thing" then).
    Why not politics? We decry the fact that young people don't get involved, we should encourage them.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Why not politics? We decry the fact that young people don't get involved, we should encourage them.
    Let them get involved. Save it for the school newspaper. Or, they can get involved in local elections or a worthy cause. But it doesn't need to be enshrined in the yearbook which is something they'll have for a longtime. Those memories are more important than some politics BS.

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Let them get involved. Save it for the school newspaper. Or, they can get involved in local elections or a worthy cause. But it doesn't need to be enshrined in the yearbook which is something they'll have for a longtime. Those memories are more important than some politics BS.
    Choice, it's a thing. Without an overriding reason to do so, we should not restrict them. And your ideas as to what memories they should be allowed or not allowed to store in the yearbook doesn't rise to that level, I think..... max freedom barring an overriding reason should be the watchword.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    I don't agree, it's a snapshot of your existence at that time. If politics is your passion why not have a memory of it stored away? Back when I was in high school the big thing was pot leafs, probably 10% of the non senior pictures had a tee shirt depicting them. Seniors were a different subject coat and ties were a requirement.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    I don't agree, it's a snapshot of your existence at that time. If politics is your passion why not have a memory of it stored away? Back when I was in high school the big thing was pot leafs, probably 10% of the non senior pictures had a tee shirt depicting them. Seniors were a different subject coat and ties were a requirement.
    I was thinking the same thing. I look back on my yearbook and it is just filled with political messages and pictures, and none I would want filtered out. It was the late 60s/early 70s, a time of rebellion and revolution, youth anti-government to the extreme. We were required to wear jacket and tie for our class pictures, but the rest of the yearbook is completely uncensored, accurate memories of what was.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I look back on my yearbook and it is just filled with political messages and pictures, and none I would want filtered out. It was the late 60s/early 70s, a time of rebellion and revolution, youth anti-government to the extreme. We were required to wear jacket and tie for our class pictures, but the rest of the yearbook is completely uncensored, accurate memories of what was.
    Same here. These utes like Pitt have gone astray.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Same here. These utes like Pitt have gone astray.
    Haven't gone "astray".

I get what you're saying, but.... These weren't "#### Trump" or "#### Hillary" shirts, they were just pro-Trump. The quote that was censored, said long before Trump was president, was "If you're going to be thinking anyway, think big." If the quote was "Grab 'em by the pussy, and they let you" that would be pretty inappropriate for a school shirt/quote/picture. But, I'm not even sure of that, because some would argue "Give me liberty or give me death" should be censored because it is "inflammatory" (and rightly so - it IS inflammatory on purpose).

Trump's win was historic in that it is the first time (to my knowledge) someone without government or military service was elected. Whether it was historic or not, he IS the president, and positive/non-controversial statements by him seem more than appropriate; I would say appropriate even for schools, which should be teaching presidential positions, and asking (without judgement) what students think about them - facilitating open and thoughtful discussion.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Members who have read this thread: 74