Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 126

Thread: Session's Testimony.......

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    You made me think of Bush's 'shock and awe' of it all. I have already said here that the Dimmies will not get over their defeat, and want to take Trump down. That is like a wake up call to stupids that are not paying attention. Don't people get that the leapfrogs are not patriots to America, and want to change Her?
    I don't get the overall response of the Democratic Party and those who supported Hillary. I do think that at the heart of it all, it comes from the sentiment that Hillary should have won and Trump should have lost. You can say, no, it's an assault on democracy and we shouldn't allow foreign meddling in the election - but it's gone WAY off course from that narrative. The primary rationale at this point is to find SOME way to injure the President or, at least, taint his Presidency until the next election.

    And - if Trump really is that bad - you won't need to do that at all. If my softball team is that much better than yours, I don't need to pull stunts, argue calls or anything to win. We just win.

    When I was growing up, I played on teams and played games with my friends - and when I lost - which was often - my take away was always "how can I win the next time? what mistake can I correct?". Sometimes, I doubted ANYTHING would help me. But I didn't do what other kids did all the time - accuse the others of cheating. Throw a tantrum. Get angry and swear never to return (which those kids always did anyway). Because it wouldn't occur to them that the reason they lost is their own doing. And the REASON they did this was this overblown sense of their ability (and usually the kids fuming were often *really* bad to begin with).

    Now - in my years - I *have* beaten better opponents. I remember a high school debate where I got an opponent to admit something damning with a stunt during cross examination; I once beat a guy in doubles volleyball by putting all my effort in blocking ONE GUY on his spikes, because he became useless once he got pissed off. That's tactics. If they were smart, they'd learn - don't get fooled by word games - don't lose your cool.

    The Democrats SHOULD be saying - where did we go wrong? The latest line seems to be to blame - the VOTERS. Yeah. It's US. WE should have elected her.

    I honestly don't WANT them to figure out what they did wrong. I joined the Democratic Party in 1980 because I did think back then they were more in tune with the average person. I don't know what they actually stand for now. But their contempt now for middle America and blue collar workers tells me, they're not the party I joined.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    With the exception of Joe <Why is he a Democrat> Manchin, democrats didn't have the least bit interest in the Russia hacking/collusion thing. Not one question about it. Nothing but a bunch of antagonistic gotcha questions.

    This has been, from the beginning, a pointless exercise; a chronic waste of time and our taxes. And, I'm extremely annoyed that the GOP (who has the majority) is allowing this to go on like this.
    I have two theories, and they conflict. But, I think it might be one or the other:

    1. GOP is trying to show how stupid the whole thing is. "You say there's a 'thing' here, we'll give you all the rope you need to hang yourselves." Then, they can say in a big press conference with half a dozen GOP "leadership" at the dais saying, "We gave them a chance to show us there's something, and there's not. Time to move on from this unfounded accusation against the president."

    2. The GOP is simply part of the one-party system in the US - the Big Government Establishment party, and they're playing this for all it's worth to lessen Pres. Trump's clout, so they can continue with their Establishment work.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

  3. #23
    The other thing I am exceptionally annoyed with is, this congress didn't see it to have these same sort of grillings of people surrounding the Clinton email scandal; a scandal in the purest definition, with a mountain of evidence. And now, Comey testified that Loretta Lynch manipulated the language of the investigation in order to downplay the severity of it. Lynch, Comey, Hillary, Huma, and whoever else was involved in that email scandal should be dragged before congress and grilled until they all pee their depends.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I honestly don't WANT them to figure out what they did wrong. I joined the Democratic Party in 1980 because I did think back then they were more in tune with the average person. I don't know what they actually stand for now. But their contempt now for middle America and blue collar workers tells me, they're not the party I joined.
    Based on that statement, you and I are around the same age.

    Even in 1980 the nonsense I was hearing from Democratic candidates was enough to turn me away. Particularly on the subjects of economics, welfare and the military.

    It's grown exponentially since.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    With the exception of Joe <Why is he a Democrat> Manchin,
    I have a cousin who - as recently as 15 years ago - would have been considered solidly left wing. He is very smart, but he was also very likely to resort to mocking the right rather than actually debate the points. Some time back, he ran for mayor of his town - as - amazingly - a Republican, ostensibly because he didn't think a Democrat could win there.

    After actually DEALING with the issues - his change has been startling. He actually risks being mocked by the rest of my rather liberal extended family with his new found views. By running as a Republican - he actually ended up becoming one.

    I think Manchin is a Democrat because at least at one time - West Virginia elected Democrats even if the voters didn't tend to the left on issues.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    I have two theories, and they conflict. But, I think it might be one or the other:

    1. GOP is trying to show how stupid the whole thing is. "You say there's a 'thing' here, we'll give you all the rope you need to hang yourselves." Then, they can say in a big press conference with half a dozen GOP "leadership" at the dais saying, "We gave them a chance to show us there's something, and there's not. Time to move on from this unfounded accusation against the president."

    2. The GOP is simply part of the one-party system in the US - the Big Government Establishment party, and they're playing this for all it's worth to lessen Pres. Trump's clout, so they can continue with their Establishment work.
    In the meantime, people like Sessions gets dragged through the mud. Warner even said that this was the first of many hearings they hope to have with Sessions. What-the-heck else could they get form him? It's obvious he had nothing to do with the Russians. The democrats showed they weren't even interested in that anyway. So, I'd like to think it's #1. Democrats looked like complete fools. Karmal Harris did nothing more than badger Sessions. She had to be warned to let Sessions answer, when she interrupted him time and time again; and this wasn't the first time she played this disrespectful game.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  7. #27
    Registered User Grumpy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Loveville
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I joined the Democratic Party in 1980 because I did think back then they were more in tune with the average person. I don't know what they actually stand for now. But their contempt now for middle America and blue collar workers tells me, they're not the party I joined.
    Comparing Dems and Repubs of today to the 1960s version of each requires a polarity reversal.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Based on that statement, you and I are around the same age.

    Even in 1980 the nonsense I was hearing from Democratic candidates was enough to turn me away. Particularly on the subjects of economics, welfare and the military.

    It's grown exponentially since.
    In 1980, my choices were : Reagan - someone I thought to be an idiot; Carter, a spineless and ineffective President; and Anderson, who was simply a blow-hard, and only gained traction because he WASN'T the other two.

    So I wrote in Nixon.

    Only write-in vote I've ever cast. Yes, I knew he wasn't running. At that age, I thought making a "protest" vote would "say something" to someone.
    It did actually get mentioned on the local news radio. I was riding a bus to college and smirked and said "how about THAT?".

    My dad was furious. "You just wasted your vote. Congratulations".

    I moved to Massachusetts in the 80's, and realized, I did NOT want Dukakis as President. By the time Clinton was running, I wasn't planning to vote for a Democrat at all.
    I voted for Perot. Oddly enough, he did pretty well, although in the intervening years, he's been portrayed as some kind of blithering idiot.
    Funny how that happens.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I have a cousin who - as recently as 15 years ago - would have been considered solidly left wing. He is very smart, but he was also very likely to resort to mocking the right rather than actually debate the points. Some time back, he ran for mayor of his town - as - amazingly - a Republican, ostensibly because he didn't think a Democrat could win there.

    After actually DEALING with the issues - his change has been startling. He actually risks being mocked by the rest of my rather liberal extended family with his new found views. By running as a Republican - he actually ended up becoming one.

    I think Manchin is a Democrat because at least at one time - West Virginia elected Democrats even if the voters didn't tend to the left on issues.
    I have relatives on both sides of my family from WV. My wife has relatives from WV. I've been to several parts of WV from the north to the deep south. I have asked myself often what keeps that state blue. The people are largely conservative. The only thing I can really pin it down is: unions and public assistance.

    They are still reliant on miners unions which overwhelmingly support democrats. And a huge number of people in WV are on some form of public assistance. With the plight of coal mining, there just aren't jobs in WV. And the people refuse to leave the state to find jobs.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    And the people refuse to leave the state to find jobs.
    That's a concept I actually understand. Would you leave your *country* to find another job?

    My in-laws are all from WV, but my other side of the family is from other rural parts of the country, and I've lived in places with either strong religious, cultural, ethnic or - whatever - ties. It's their home. If they left it - they would come back eventually. It's their family, their community and the life they love. If they couldn't find work, they'd find a way to stay.

    Just as I would with this country.

    I had a roommate in the 80's who hailed from a TINY town in Missouri. Gravois Mills. At the time he said its population was 32, but the 1980 census put it at around 100.
    I said "so - if a couple families moved away - the town would be GONE?". He said are you kidding? They don't ever want to leave.

    I lived in a small town of around a thousand in NE Pa. Almost entirely Polish, Irish or Italian - from the waves of immigrants that came to the mines at the turn of the century.
    Aside from strong ethnic traditions - and that they all attended Catholic church - they've built a life there they love. A shame actually, because the population up there has been dwindling because no industry has really replaced the lost anthracite business.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Members who have read this thread: 51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |