Mosquito

CdShiflett

May sound like a stupid question asking if anyone has been bit by Mosquitos here in St Marys. But those of you that have been bitten have you noticed the bite to linger longer or cause complications? I've always taken a little longer to get over bug bites. Perhaps a day to 24 hours. But I was bitten several times while fishing Friday night on base and I have itched and scratched and been miserable since. Calamine, Benadryl (rub and oral), cortisone you name it. Nothing seems to help. I've dug my skin raw and now I notice hard knots in the muscle on my arm close to where the bites are at my elbow. Also I get these jabs like a bee stinging me. Thinking I may need to head to med express tomorrow. But was really curious.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
May sound like a stupid question asking if anyone has been bit by Mosquitos here in St Marys. But those of you that have been bitten have you noticed the bite to linger longer or cause complications? I've always taken a little longer to get over bug bites. Perhaps a day to 24 hours. But I was bitten several times while fishing Friday night on base and I have itched and scratched and been miserable since. Calamine, Benadryl (rub and oral), cortisone you name it. Nothing seems to help. I've dug my skin raw and now I notice hard knots in the muscle on my arm close to where the bites are at my elbow. Also I get these jabs like a bee stinging me. Thinking I may need to head to med express tomorrow. But was really curious.

Welcome to Southern Maryland....it's not just mosquitoes, it all kind of critters. Benadryl spray anti itch is the go to solution

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Possible deer tick?

mitzi

Yes, welcome to the land of biting insects. Lanacane spray works pretty well, but still they take forever to go away for me too. Then here they come again.

3CATSAILOR

Mosquitoes are known to carry many different diseases. It is not out of the question that they may be capable of carrying other diseases that science still does not recognize as being associated with a mosquito. In addition, there are several types of mosquitoes in Southern Maryland. I saw one the other day that was about 3 quarters of an inch long. Only the females bite.

CdShiflett

Thanks all. Yes Only been in MD a year and quite frankly I was held hostage all of last Summer by the humidity. Used Benadryl by mouth and the jel. Lanacane I love for pain but didn't touch the itch. Calamine you name it. It finally settled down last night some. As for deer tick. I suffer from Chronic Lyme.so I check myself as soon as I feel a bite. Bought a spray with DEET and will use it. In hopes I am not allergic to it. I really don't care to spend another Summer in the house.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
I know internet is full of storys of citronella plants ineffectiveness, But i bought two from lowes this year, put on my deck, and they are working for me. We have always had problem with squitoes where we live !!!! Also they look nice. Whats a couple dollars to have a few plants on your deck, might work might not for you.

Even our flies bite. :ohwell: Good luck healing... I hope you don't contract some sort of African Maow-Maow disease. :huggy:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Mosquito Barrier

I use it Twice a month on my yard.....works awesome
http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/?gcl...bmMaPBvnS8DoB1sEv-y8TcjhG1RJSXocjmhoCvEzw_wcB

I just looked at your link. I have never been concerned about mosquitoes, but now with a toddler, I am. Does this product make the neighborhood smell like garlic? I have known a couple of people that eat raw garlic everyday, and they reek! :faint: I have garlic growing in my garden. I wonder if I can just use that. TIA.

Edit: I do use that coyote urine spray to fend off rabbits and deer. That stuff is ridiculously offensive. I shouldn't worry about garlic. :lol:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I know internet is full of storys of citronella plants ineffectiveness, But i bought two from lowes this year, put on my deck, and they are working for me. We have always had problem with squitoes where we live !!!! Also they look nice. Whats a couple dollars to have a few plants on your deck, might work might not for you.

Thanks for that option, too. We have started a garden this year, and we could expand. I never knew there were citronella plants, but it has to come from somewhere. Good info. Happy growing, y'all!

Hannibal

suggestions on where to get the citronella plants?

I was going to jump on here and endorse the plant angle as well. We call them mosquito plants which is honestly what I think may places call them. We've bought them at Lowes (most recently in LP). They smell like citronella so I assume we're talking about the same thing.

We put one on the front porch (between the rocking chairs) and a couple on the back patio. I've really had no complaints about mosquitos. Granted, it's a new build house so maybe they're just not there regardless - but I doubt it. The plants smell nice and keep well over the winter (indoors). Besides, even if they crap out, I think they're only like $5 and grow quick with some TLC.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I was going to jump on here and endorse the plant angle as well. We call them mosquito plants which is honestly what I think may places call them. We've bought them at Lowes (most recently in LP). They smell like citronella so I assume we're talking about the same thing. We put one on the front porch (between the rocking chairs) and a couple on the back patio. I've really had no complaints about mosquitos. Granted, it's a new build house so maybe they're just not there regardless - but I doubt it. The plants smell nice and keep well over the winter (indoors). Besides, even if they crap out, I think they're only like $5 and grow quick with some TLC.

My dad always planted a bunch of marigolds. The big ones and small ones. Always kept the mosquitoes away and the place always smelled good.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
I got mine from LP Lowes this year, Still in love with them. Huge difference with bugs NOT biting my sweet meat ;-)))))))))))) !!!